Redpine

I'm new here and to W-body cars and actually new to GM since the 60's. I'm seriously looking at a '94 Cutlass Supreme converible w/3.4 DOHC engine, 79000 miles. This car is an Arizona car until 2003 and then brought to MN, never driven in the winter, always stored inside. Everything is original and in excellent shape, everything works. The only repair hisory for this car are an alternator in 2002 and intake gaskets, doesn't show timing belt has ever been changed I've read about the 3.4 engine, nightmare to work on, I am fairly capable mechanically, altho not into technical tuning and performance mods. Question is I don't want to buy a money pit, what are the chances of the Transmission being ok, this car hasn't been licensed since 2008, but started and run occassionally (owner is into Mustangs and has multiple cars) I know I will need timing belt, water pump (as long as it's tore down) hoses and serpentine belts. Is there anything else I should do before putting it on the street for a summer driver? Any help or words of wisdom will be appreciated ....Thanks

I'm new here and to W-body cars and actually new to GM since the 60's. I'm seriously looking at a '94 Cutlass Supreme converible w/3.4 DOHC engine, 79000 miles. This car is an Arizona car until 2003 and then brought to MN, never driven in the winter, always stored inside. Everything is original and in excellent shape, everything works. The only repair hisory for this car are an alternator in 2002 and intake gaskets, doesn't show timing belt has ever been changed I've read about the 3.4 engine, nightmare to work on, I am fairly capable mechanically, altho not into technical tuning and performance mods. Question is I don't want to buy a money pit, what are the chances of the Transmission being ok, this car hasn't been licensed since 2008, but started and run occassionally (owner is into Mustangs and has multiple cars) I know I will need timing belt, water pump (as long as it's tore down) hoses and serpentine belts. Is there anything else I should do before putting it on the street for a summer driver? Any help or words of wisdom will be appreciated ....Thanks

Can they be a nightmare and a money pit? Yes. However, it will be less of a money pit because you are mechanically inclined. Also, with the alternator and intake gaskets done already, you're ahead of the game.

Should you buy it? I say yes- if it's a good deal. Tranny is probably fine, just make sure you hit the highway for a good stretch on your test drive.

We got a 1994 CS Vert that had 185K miles on it about 4 years ago. We've never had any major issues with her and she's still running strong (225K). She's an outside girl who sits in the sun, rain, & snow. When ever I need to pass someone or climb the mountain passes a little faster, she's always there for us! We used her as a daily driver until I decided to turn her into the 1988 Indy 500 Paca Car tribute. Aside from the alternator, power steering pump, and battery, nothing else has needed to be replaced. I can take her down the highway right now and she'll still put me into the seat. I'm no expert on the engine, except to tell you she really does pull, then keeps on pulling.

I'd give these cars a solid 9.4 all around, just cuz #1) I wish they got a little better mileage (which I never noticed until these recent gas prices spiked so high). #2) I worry about parking her on the streets where anybody with a knife can get into her. #3) We can't fit the whole family in the car because it has the 2 bucket seats in the back. #4) All my friends borrow her on sunny days!

The only thing I'd reccomend is getting a full diognastic check just incase there is something you can't see. Then just sit back and drive! :D

Does $3500 seem like a fair price, it is a premium car, all leather is in good shape. Won't be able to take it in for diagnostics, so I'm gong on how it d\looks and drives.

Thanks

3,500 does not seem to bad from my perspective. I bought my 95' with 84,000 miles on it for 3,051. And especially if it is in good running condition and the body is nice and clean "Rust Free". I would say go for the car if that is truly what you like and want.

We paid $3,250 and that was with 185K miles. I'd still do it all over again the same. He's some pics, the one in front of that building was the Ad photo (asking price $3,500) when she was for sale. The clear was coming off the hood, so I just took her to the car wash and sprayed the rest off.

post-5754-143689097456_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689097461_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689097465_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689097471_thumb.jpg

I feel that I got a unusual good deal on my Vert last year. $3700 for 45k mileage. It is real clean but has more rust on suspension that I'd like . But no other rust.

I have two friends that have over 150,000 miles on their 3.4l.

If something happens, you could put 3800 in it.

I have a Lumina, but it has the same engine and transmission.

Just for perspective, it has 209k miles on the same engine and transmission, and is still going strong, even with failing head gaskets.

You know little over a year ago I bought texas vert 95 with 105,000 mi for $1800 and didn't tell my wife. I sold it to keep peace in family, ended selling it for $1200. Wish I would've figured how to keep it now.

$3400 doesn't sound bad, it is so Fun to have a Vert

Does $3500 seem like a fair price, it is a premium car, all leather is in good shape. Won't be able to take it in for diagnostics, so I'm gong on how it d\looks and drives.

Thanks

If it looks and drives okay, I wouldn't even think twice about it, I'd snag it ASAP.