1988 Indianapolis 500 Cutlass Supreme PACE CAR Tribute!

1988PhantomFE3

I wish there wasn't so much snow covering the front bumper. It looks really good. Does your state require a front plate?

YEAH, I got stopped right after I put the front bumper/air dam on, "Get the license plate out of the front window and on the front bumper!" < Washington State Trooper! I actually got chills when I was drilling into the bumper, but it had to be done. There's no way I can drive the car in the snow right now, the front air dam would act like a snow plow!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988PhantomFE3

• ManicMechanic

• j_mezz

• 94 olds vert

• 2 months later...

After buying the 1992 front headlight header and front marker lights assms, they will NOT mate to the 1994 fenders. Asking Jeff to sell us the front fenders too and will update ASAP. "Does anyone need the front headlight/header assm with all lights w/shields?" I replaced the front turn signals with NOS 3 years ago from GM Dealership, over $42 there. If no one needs them, I'll list them on ebay at the end of the week. Anyone here for all of it, $50 plus shipping. 360-674-7036 ED

It's been a while since you've posted here, I've lost track of this project. I don't think there's any reason why a 92 header panel wouldn't fit a 94...were you doing that to fill the gap under the side lights? I have a PC bumper that I've thought about putting on my 96, or 94 vert, I think to do it you need the hood, fenders, and header panel (with all the lights) from an 88-91 cutty...92 is too new.

And, was that a real pace car coupe that you junked? I think you shot yourself in the foot, you should have grabbed the hood and fenders from that car before you junked it.

Edited by j_mezz

The 1989 Cutlass in storage was a Phantom FE3, but my Grandma liked their old pace car so much we got the Indy 500 graphics put on the doors for her on Valentines day one year. I should have removed a lot more than the FE3 trim on that car before it was scrapped, I totally agree with that one! Our landlord said we had to get rid of a few cars and I was trying to meet a deadline with the local Health Department. Still, I totally screwed that one up!

The problem I'm having now trying to mate the 1989 header to the 1994 is, the side marker mounts are tack welded on and there are no holes to mount the header panel. I thought I might need the older fenders, but now I'm thinking I should just sawzall the mounts off and drill new holes in the current 1994 fenders to mount it all. I do have a line on the fenders thru Jeff here at this site, but I'm going to try to modify the corners for now.

As far as shooting my self in the foot losing the '89, I feel like I blew my whole leg off...that still hurts, OUCH!!!

I also just noticed there's some sheet metal that's part of the fenders by the side markers. I've got a nibbling tool to remove that meat. There is no way the 1989 style side markers will fit with that there. The actual side marker mounts for the 1989 attach to the front headlight header, and are not designed to mount to the 1994 fenders in any way.

"You learn something new everyday" Thank GOD it's for a W Body and I'm not being fed useless information!

SEE PICS

post-5754-143689093176_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689093187_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689093196_thumb.jpg

Interesting, check this out...here's a picture from my '88 - the piece that the side markers mount to is held on by sheet metal screws, and it looks like it would fit right in there if you snip that extra 'meat' behind it off.

If you want any more pictures I've got my headlights and grills out right now...

post-3396-143689093231_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for the pic, it tells alot! The side markers are mounted to the fenders AND the header panel on the '89! I never knew that. I took the side markers from the '89 to the '94 Cutlass, NO JOY! There are these 2 little clips on the '89 (on the front of the mount) that they swing into before they get held on permanently by a vertical screw from behind. At least I now know that I DO NOT have to shave that much off the fender sheet metal for this all to work. I need that 1989 Indianapolis 500 Cutlass Supreme Pace Car look for this all to work!!!

post-5754-143689093239_thumb.jpg

MEZZ, if you could snap a pic of where the heck the 2 outer holes on the header panel mount to, I know I could figure this out from that pic. I think they mount to the fenders on this little flap that bends 90 degrees, right to the front part of the fender, minus the side marker mount crap. I Hope you can help Friend!!!

The end of the header gets bolted to the fender but I can't really get a good view of it while it's on the car. However, I happen to have an NOS fender standing by.

I think we're looking at this the wrong way though, those holes aren't for holding the header in place, they're for holding the fender in place. The header should be held in there solidly by the other bolts that hold it in.

I don't think the 94 fender has that sheet metal extention that the header bolts to. You'll have to get creative...

post-3396-143689093258_thumb.jpg

Edited by j_mezz

It sounds a lot less complicated if I just get the older style fenders from Jeff...but I'm going to give this one last look over since I now know where the ends of the header panel should be mounted.

Thank YOU so much for the pics, they're priceless in my case!

This is what the present driver's side fender (front) looks like after the first pass with the sawzall and nibling tool...PRETTY MUCH FEELING LIKE THE PROFESSOR ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND...Ginger & Maryann better be in my hut when I get finished for tonight!

post-5754-143689093905_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689093916_thumb.jpg

Most of you might look at this pic and say, "so what?", but it took a lot to get the '94 headlights and grill set up out, and take it back to the '89 Pace Car looking front end. THANK YOU Mezz for all your pics, they did wonders!

post-5754-143689094099_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689094109_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689094124_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1988PhantomFE3

There's a small brace in the very middle of the side marker mounts that bolts to the header, that's all that's stiffening it up on the side right now. It was kinda shaky until I mated those points together. I found a fairly large hole near the inner top part of the 2 fender bracings, and plan to fabricate 2 brackets to stiffen everything up real solid. The swapped parts are finger tight for now, I'll be making the final adjustments and marking the final positions on all of it soon. I plan to take it all back out and clean-up and paint everything black that's behind/under the header...it's still red right now from the factory.

HAPPY EASTER !

• 2 weeks later...

These are the proper decals for the 1988 Indy Hauler front fenders, total color reverse from the pace cars. Oh yeah, I have extra passes from the race too! I'd give the passes to you Mike, just cuz yo! you cool like dat!

post-5754-143689095411_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689095425_thumb.jpg

OK, I am feeling like I should get a sex change, I don't know what to do next...I can't even find the HUD harness behind the Climate Control! HELP! also, how do I disassemble the dash pad at this point?

post-5754-143689095488_thumb.jpg

Oh Shit, Manic, I left a post on my thread about your pics. I also got your back on the decals for the Hauler! I got a 1994 CS Convertible. I'm feeling pretty stupid cuz I can't figure out how to get the dash pad off to check for the HUD wiring?. I posted pics of some of the 1988 Indy 500 for you. But if you can guide me in the right direction of how to get this dash pad off, so I might find the harness for the HUD! Thanks again for not forgetting about me bro!

Edited by 1988PhantomFE3

To remove the dash pad. There are two bolts under the front vent (that just pops out), then there are two bolts in the glove box. One bolt by the head light switch. Then one to the right of the cluster. I think there is another one by the radio.