1988 Indianapolis 500 Cutlass Supreme PACE CAR Tribute!

1988PhantomFE3

I have gain access to my Grandfather's storage units and found a lot of rare W Car items...1989 FE3 Phantom(hit hard on right front side), 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, & many parts from his 1988 indy 500 convertible pace car (which was recalled back then). There are SO many things from the 1988 indy 500 race in there..."WE ARE GOING TO BUILD A VERY SPECIAL TRIBUTE CAR FOR HIM WITH ALL OF THE BEST PIECES OF THESE CARS ON 1 OLDS PLATFORM'

stay tuned and we will appreciate your advice and expertise on this HEARTFELT build!!!

any wisdom or knowledge you have on these cars will be cherished by Our Family to help in this...

SIGNED, "The Grandpa Jimenez Grandchildren"

post-5754-143689079102_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689079107_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689079113_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689079118_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1988PhantomFE3

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988PhantomFE3

• ManicMechanic

• j_mezz

• 94 olds vert

Ed - When I get the GMC done - at least exterior wise...Perhaps I can take a road trip and get pics with some of the '88 Pace Cars. As far as I know, there are no original 1988 Indy Haulers left. I've seen one and it was turned into a PPG truck with the gold car.

If you ever come across any other pics of the 1988 Indy trucks, please send them along. I have the magazine ads, but that is all I've ever seen, I've wanted one ever since i'd seen one in a magazine Goodyear ad in 1988.

gmc88indytruck.jpg

Edited by ManicMechanic

Yes, that would be pretty freaking awesome.

Also, has anyone considered finding an 88 Pace Car bumper in such good condition, and using it to make replicas? I for one, would be interested. Hell...it'd be even better if I could find an original myself :showoff:

Yes, that would be pretty freaking awesome.

Also, has anyone considered finding an 88 Pace Car bumper in such good condition, and using it to make replicas? I for one, would be interested. Hell...it'd be even better if I could find an original myself :showoff:

I'm pretty sure it would be cost prohibitive.. I know this has been tossed around in the Fiero world to make replicas of the PPG pace car body panels, but IIRC it was going to be really expensive so it didn't happen...

Looking forward to seeing pics though.. Sounds like it will be a cool project...

• 2 months later...

swapped the front air dam, hood & trunk w/spoiler. temporarily taped decals for viewing/fitment. I'm not sure if I will add the side checkered decals or the indy 500 hood decals, just wanted to get a clue of what they would look like.

I need advise on installing the dash top & HUD unit...

also need advise on installing the hood scoop...does it go with the theme of this car? it's an NOS piece from an earlier Cutlass. I think it might look ok...anyones thoughts please?

Thanks "The Kids"

I've pulled several HUD units and dash pads. It's actually pretty easy to do on a cutlass. Since you have a 94 CS with a DOHC it should be pre wired. Do you have a dash pad that already have a hole in it for the HUD? If not you'll have to cut out a whole. If you do some searching there are measurements here.

yup. got the original dash piece with the HUD cutout and brackets

Then your all set. Remove old dash put in the HUD bracket, then install new dash, then install the HUD. The wirig should be hidden behind the gauge cluster.

I found my HUD adjuster wires behind the ECC in the center console.

We installed the drivers side NOS rear tail light, got an old passangerside tail light just so it looked kinda normal. We'll be taking off the rear bumper/cover off the 1989 Cutlass Supreme FE3 and installing it within the next few weeks. If anyone knows about the FE3 Phantom from that year, please let us know the info on them. I heard there were only 200 made, and I hate to rip apart a collector car, but I think it's going to make the back view of this car!

We need a newer passanger tall light if any one know where to get one. The NOS drivers side is so white, it make the other side look all trailer park...no offense.

also if anyone needs the old 1994 front and rear items, we don't need them. The back of the 1994 convertible was rear ended and all the parts were replaced with NOS in 2003, so they are in really good shape.

The convertible was used as a pace car at Bremerton Motorsports Park, so there are cutouts and strobe lights mounted in the rear center section. The tail lights had the high intensity strobes pulled out and then covered with some big black tape stuff, it was proffessionally done and they do not leak. They are the flipped up lenses.

post-5754-143689085374_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689085379_thumb.jpg

Getting the NOS stuff from ebay, getting really Blessed in that department too! It hard to find even good used stuff, we don't have any Cutlass cars in our local bone yard. We had to buy back east thru ebay for the head light header panel, this way we can switch to the larger 1989 style front end.