darkwolf45

I'm already finding some pretty useful stuff here, and really enjoying it! :biggrin:

I have had my Cutlass Supreme since 1999 when it had 70k n it. Today it's up to 222k. In 2006 I got a '98 Intrigue to replace the Cutlass, which was showing it's age, but I couldn't bear to part with it. It sat for a few years, I would start it up infrequently to make sure everything was still working, but it hardly did any work until it was called back into service October, 2010.

While it sat, quite a bit of the paint peeled, the dash split in several places and numerous other issues arose from sitting for over 3 years and from maintenance that had been neglected over the years (not by choice, I was flat broke at the time).

So, the idea last fall was to rebuild my Cutlass from front to back. I assembled as many of th body parts as I could myself, as well as learned any engine work I could to do myself. The paint job was just finished 2 weeks ago. I'm almost there, but still have to figure out what to do about that cracked dash...

post-6521-14368907543_thumb.jpg

post-6521-143689075437_thumb.jpg

post-6521-143689075443_thumb.jpg

post-6521-143689075449_thumb.jpg

Welcome...Cayenne Red is definitely one of our favorite colours around here.

Heh, it's funny you should say that. When I first bought it, I had a dream of one day painting it all black. Over time, I decided that there was no color I would want this car other than as it is.

Heh, it's funny you should say that. When I first bought it, I had a dream of one day painting it all black. Over time, I decided that there was no color I would want this car other than as it is.

One suggestion though if you don't mind. Cayenne Red CSs look really, really hot with the reverse light trim colour matched and the small lip spoiler with matching taillights.

I will see if I can find a pic of a Cayenne Red CS like that. I think I have one in my files somewhere.

Welcome to the site man. Nice looking Cutlass too. I really like that color. Oh and do you have any pics of the Intrigue by any chance lol? I use to have a 99 myself.

Welcome to the site man. Nice looking Cutlass too. I really like that color. Oh and do you have any pics of the Intrigue by any chance lol? I use to have a 99 myself.

Haha, before or after? I took much better care of the intrigue than the Cutlass at that time, regular checkups, preventative maintenance, had had it in just two weeks before the end to have it looked over thoroughly, but that didn't stop the Intrigue from catching fire one day last year in the parking ramp at work. The Intrigue was replaced by a Bonneville, which I still have. I would have gotten another Intrigue, but didnt see anything in the area at the tim I was buying.

First shot is the Intrigue shortly after I got it, you can see the Cutlass in the shadows off to the left. Second shot was the day the Intrigue bit the dust, and finally the Bonneville (my first car that wasn't an Oldsmobile; the car before my '95 Cutlass was an '84 Cutlass Supreme).

Incidently, I got the Bonneville just ver a year ago, it was paid off last week, 2.5 years ahead of schedule! :biggrin:

post-6521-143689075455_thumb.jpg

post-6521-143689075463_thumb.jpg

post-6521-143689075469_thumb.jpg

Dang man that sucks that the Intrigue caught fire. :( Did they ever say what caused it to catch on fire? As for the Bonneville it looks great man.

Unfortunately, no, the cause of the fire was never determined. It's too bad to. The 3800 in the Intrigue seemed more responsive than the one in the Bonneville, although the transmission in the Bonneville feels a lot better... The only thing I know is that I was at my desk when a coworker came in to say that she had just came in and my car was on fire. I ran down there as fast as i could, and sure enough... I fought the flames with a security guard for 45 minutes while we waited for the Minneapolis fire dept.

I like that body style of Bonne... Sounds like the valve cover gaskets leaked on the Intrigue... Make sure those are taken care of if the Bonne has the same issue... The paint looks great on the Cutty! A common "fix" for the dash is to swap in a GP dash and also wire in the info center as well

The Bonneville is an '02, and sitting right now in the garage with exactly 100,000 miles on it. Next time I have it in, I can make a note to have the valve cover gaskets checked. There was some oil seepage with it, but to be honest, at the time it had 125k on it, I would have expected it to leak a bit of oil, and the seepage was pretty small. Your theory is as good as any I've heard though Al; I will look into it for the Bonneville.

I am toying around with the idea of a GP dash for the Cutlass, but I have been chipping away at figuring out how to get another cutlass dash out of another car. I had hoped the new Service Manuals I got would help with that, but I am not finding panel removal instructions. A DIC would be nice, though I prefer the green lights of the Cutlass compared to Pontiacs.

• 3 weeks later...
One suggestion though if you don't mind. Cayenne Red CSs look really, really hot with the reverse light trim colour matched and the small lip spoiler with matching taillights.

I will see if I can find a pic of a Cayenne Red CS like that. I think I have one in my files somewhere.

9gzntu.jpg

2gtzus5.jpg

Like I was saying awhile ago.

Ah, thanks, i was wondering about this.

I found a Cutlass like this recently at the junk yard that I could use to make mine like this, hoever, overall the trunk was done for- rusted through aroundthe lip and a number of dents. If it was just a matter of repainting, I would consider it. Also, the matching tail lights were in bad shape- cracked and faded.

As it stands, to do this with my CS I would need a new trunk lid as well as the lip spoiler and matching tail lights. I would need the trunk lid because of the several holes in my current trunk lid that the current spoiler is bolted through. If I come accross the parts though, I just might try your suggestion. I just haven't run into all the parts in decent condition yet.

Was this yours? It's a nice looking car. What happened to it?