Highest Mileage W-body with original engine/trans and lim's?

1979lee

My 91 GTP has the original powertrain (LIM & UIM gaskets have been replaced)....original 284 tranny (2nd gear sync is shot, but its still perfictly 100% drivavle...just annoying at times) and it's at 184K miles right now.....and still runs amazing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1979lee

• virtuetovice

• RobertISaar

• Z34guy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
My Ole 98 lumina's getting up there in miles now (175k) with the original engine/trans and lim's never touched all original, just routine maitenece.

she runs nice still.

ive replaced the rad,alternator,p/s pump and waterpump,

and the power brake booster,harmonic balencer. plus the normal routine maitenece items.

i was just curious how many other w's have gone this far without major problems? i plan on driving this car till she dies, so i hope i can get a few more years out of it. and another 50k

i do all the work on this car myself, i dont have the cash and i just dont like other people working on MY lumina

Thanks everyone:biggrin:

I have a 1996 pontiac grand prix with no major issues and 223,000 miles.

My Lumina coupe has 1,600,000 miles on the original 3.1 that I installed longitudinally and is backed by a 6 speed. And the original orange interior is mint. :lol:

Hey, if I supposedly have one...Why not? :lol:

There is a 1989 S10 over in Houston with 1.2million+ miles on it and still going. It was on the S10 forums.

What is the LIM? I am assuming some abbrevation for the head gasket that tends to leak? And, is there any way to tell if it has been replaced before. I bought my Cutlass with about 105,000 miles on it, so I don't know if it has been done, or needs to be done.

LIM: Lower Intake Manifold

Thanks for the info. Is it the same thing as an intake manifold gasket on say a small block Chevy? And, is there any way to tell if it has ever been replaced, or when it might need to be replaced. I guess that they must be a problem as I hear everyone talking about them on this site. This is the first 3100 I have owned for a long time ( 4 years and counting ), so if there are any warning signs that it is letting go, please let me know so I can be on the lookout.

Peak below the power steering pump and under the throttle body and youll see where the LIM and the engine block meet... If its dry, your good, if its wet, its probably leaking

I have a 97 Lumina with 75K on it, started getting some problems recently, had new waterpump replaced. New alternator. Has some oil in the coolant NOT viceversa. But runs smoothly, sometimes hesitates.

So your car has lasted quite a while!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

97 lumina 248xxx miles on original motor and transmission. has some problems does not start when it gets warm after a few trips :shrug: dont now what is wrong but gets me to work and back, my other lumina a 98 has 148,xxx miles on original motor and transmission has a blown lower intake gasket and is currently in pieces but going to get fixed allmost done a few odds and ends.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

1999 Lumina Base, original drive train and LIMs, clicked over to 293,500 late last night. Only issues are that the some of the solenoids on the trans need replacement and I definitely need to address the LIMs as I noticed some oil in the coolant overflow bottle. However it runs great and is now used only around town say 45 miles/week.

-Craig

'98 lumina, she currently has 117,000 miles on her, ( I know still a baby compared ya'lls lumina's mileage). Caught the LIM failure early when i started seeing mixing the resevoir tank. Basically just did routine maintence (plugs, wires, filters etc.) I had to drop a battery in it. I havent seen anything else go bad on it, I am waiting on the Alt, or Water pump soon. Other than that she is a stout little car. Babbying a little does help every now and then.

• 1 year later...

well im up to 189k still on the original lim's , engine, tranny.

shes doing well. i hope to get 50k more out of her!

she's getting duel outlet pipes tommorrow

130314013.jpg

all ready dumped the old factory airbox

130307001.jpg