Need help choosing the right speakers?

67eleanorgt500

Recently this past summer of 2010 I swapped my rear factory speakers with some aftermarkets ones. The speakers I choose to install in the rear of my car are Kenwood's KFC-1662s 6.5 in. 3-way speaker 4 ohms. Now it was hard to decide which speaker to go with when I did my research. I was on a budget too, and read these speakers got good reviews. I have a Clarion ProAudio Receiver model #DXZ745MP that my friend gave and installed for me a year ago.

A few nights ago I decided to disassemble my dash in order to get to my front speakers under the dash. Lately for the past 6 months my in dash speaker on the driver side has been acting a little funny with a vibrating noise. Very irritating while driving. So right now I'm shopping for some new speakers to put in place of my factory ones or leave that spot empty and put the speakers in my doors.

I'm a woman and I am somewhat mechanically inclined to a certain extent. I did however install my Kenwood speakers myself which included cutting and soldering the new wires to the factory wire harness. Drilling the rivets out of my factory speakers. I don't know much about speakers and what type, brand or size to choose. I do know my budget has to stay at least under $100. I listen to mostly country, rock and some pop music.

My question I have is should I leave my dash speaker spot empty and relocate my new speakers to my doors? And if I relocate them to my doors should I buy another pair of Kenwood's that I'm currently using in the rear so they match? What is a good reasonable brand of speaker and what size should I put in my doors? Should I go with a Component System or stay with just the separate speakers? I have included some photos of my rear speakers in my car.

post-5749-14368905892_thumb.jpg

post-5749-143689058942_thumb.jpg

Edited by 67eleanorgt500

I would get components over coaxials. Much better sound quality. As for good brands, names like Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics come to mind. Where are you getting these parts? Online or retail?

Can I leave my Kenwood speakers in the rear or should I have the speakers match? I bought my Kenwood's at BestBuy. Didn't want to buy them online because of extra shipping charges and i wanted to see them in person.

Speakers don't have to match front to rear. I have had a mismatched set almost since I got my car.

Components are definitely loads better than coaxials, but you will have to cut a hole somewhere to mount the tweeter unless your car has a place for them.

If you're willing to buy online I recommend Sonic Electronix. They typically have very good deals and I have had good dealings with them in the past.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

I have had good luck with MB Quart speakers. These should fit your doors should you decide to move the speakers there:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13190_MB-Quart-DSH-213.html

If you go with component speakers you could put the tweeter in the factory dash location and the woofer in the door, I did this in my 94 CS and it sounded so much better than having the tweeter in the door as it is up higher, closer to your ears for your listening pleasure. Chances are though if you go with Polk or Boston the might not sound as good as you thought, with just your HU, but if you amplify them then they will meet your expectations these speakers want more power

If you go with component speakers you could put the tweeter in the factory dash location and the woofer in the door, I did this in my 94 CS and it sounded so much better than having the tweeter in the door as it is up higher, closer to your ears for your listening pleasure. Chances are though if you go with Polk or Boston the might not sound as good as you thought, with just your HU, but if you amplify them then they will meet your expectations these speakers want more power

What size speaker would you recommend for the door panel? Would 5 1/4" be a good size?