Would you buy your existing vert if it was brand spanking new?

MemphisMan

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 94 triple black vert and am awating delivery. I'll post pics when it arrives. It does have some common issues for any car that's 15 years old has and some issues that are common to the CS vert. I'm learning a lot in the forum so thanks. I hope I'll be able to help a newbie like myself out someday.

Two kinda fun questions: If you could buy your existing vert, but it was brand new from the factory and sitting on an Oldsmobile dealers lot today...

Would you?

How much would you be willing to pay?

I bought mine because I wanted a modern 5 seater. I only wish I could buy a new triple black vert. Since I like the car so much, I'd be willing to pay sticker...in '94 dollars :)

Welcome to the forum! Make sure you post some pics when your triple black 'vert arrives.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy my car new in '94, but it would need to have a HUD. Fully loaded these cars were around 25k-27k when they were brand new. You could buy a base V6 camaro for less than that today.

Sadly, I'd have to say "no". I've never had the kind of money that would allow me to spend nearly $28,000 for a car...I had to wait for mine to depreciate to a level I could afford.

However, if I did have the money, I would.

Thanks for the welcome. My brother is driving it to me from Texas to Memphis when he comes to visit. I should have it in about a week. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I think if I could buy mine brand new today, I'd also take a detour to the parts department and stock up on a few sets of convertible specific rubber and other goodies!

No, could not afford it as a family car/daily driver. ND winters not good for verts. I was looking for a unique, cheap vert for occassional cruises, parades and fun with the grand children. This was a good choice since it only has 79,000 miles and needs very littl work. My other option was a 1985 Caddy Eldorado vert. $8k was too much for it tho.

:question: By the way, where should we post pics of our verts? :question: Final took some beauty shots of mine to post!

Kevin in ND

That makes sense Kevin. I forget about the fact that some folks will be using theirs as "occasional" transportation. I just had it in my head that since I was going to drive mine all of the time then everyone else would be too. I've also never lived farther north than Memphis so I'm unable to relate to the winters. I guess you want to keep it out of the salt and cold. I can't wait to see pics of your vert.

nice looking vert you got there sir....

I would not buy my vert new due to space limitaions (hauling kids/dogs/stuff) and as others have mentioned the "occasional" transportation issue. But I am glad I can now drive a modern 5 seater vert in style and still afford a people hauler (Taruus X)...

• 1 month later...

I'd buy a new one in a minute. Mine had 42k on it when I bought it last fall and was in very good shape from the southern USA. I thought I'd drive it as my "summer beater" to drive to work and save my truck for the winter. But once I started driving it, I really, really enjoyed it...probably more so than any other car I have had. I've put tires on it, had it oiled, had it wet sanded, and cleaned it up. I figured out how to keep water on the outside and not on my lap. I've put 7k miles on so far and now that I know it is reliable and that I want to keep it, I recently put a new top on it. I can't believe I have a car that turns heads, is fun to drive, gets decent mileage (compared to my truck) and only has $8k into it. I know that's more than I could ever sell it for, but if I drive it for 50 or 60k, it is cheap wheels. Plus the insurance is cheap compared to a brand new car. And it looks and drives like a new car. But if I could buy the same car new today, I would do it for sure. Now if it had the 3800 (and maybe supercharged), I dont think you could improve much on what they made back in 1994.

• 10 months later...

Yup, I bought one new in 92 (93 model) and loved it. Had it 2 months and totaled it. Got another drove it for 2 years and had to go to a bigger vehicle (Chevy Astro van). 5 years ago bought a used one (but would have rather had my original one back).

We've been looking for a "New" convertible and haven't found anything we like as well.

Me too, got mine off the showroom floor in December of 93 but it had been the demo car so it had a couple of thousand miles on it but that also saved me a couple of thousand dollars. And I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

I would totaly buy my car new in 95, Cause then I would have known what was already the matter with it. Plus i would have tacken much better care of it than the past 8 owners did. It would have less miles on it too. I love these cars and would never hesitate on buying it, other than i would have the problem of being 3 years old sooo, i might have trouble with a credit score and the funds to purchase it,lol.