LUMINA ROTTEN ROCKERS

chadz34

Yeah, so I managed to pull an eight inch piece of metal off my car that was repaired, so I'm upset about the shotty work. I had the rockers done 3yrs ago. I don't get how the rest of the car that wasnt touched is still immaculate......So my question is, I want to cut the rust out, and put a side skirt of some kind on.....WILL a Monte Carlo skirt (bottom piece that starts on the fender) not the door skirt. Will it fit the Lumina, even if I have to cut it. It looks like SHIT and it's discouraging given the love and effort I put in this Chev. If I have to I will get a tacky rice RAZZI kit...I dont care! Any input cause I'm never paying anyone to do body work ever again.

What kind of work was done on the rockers? Was it having it sprayed with the rocker guard stuff?

Otherwise...it has probably been rotting away slowly the whole time you've owned the car. They like to rust from the inside out, so it looks immaculate for a long time, then once everything starts to poke through, it takes no time at all for it to turn ugly.

Only real way to slow it down or prevent it is to have the vehicle oil sprayed on a regular basis, especially in the area where you live.

Yeah, its really just a shame, the car used to look perfect before tis winter, and I even had it Krowned. Kinda hurts cause of the effort I put into this car for the 5 years I've owned it. I may want a 2010 Chevy Cobalt Le T 4 Door in ice blue with chrome handles, side trim and tip. They have one at our GM dealership. May deal the Lumina in. Maybe it's time to move on...

Yeah, its really just a shame, the car used to look perfect before tis winter, and I even had it Krowned. Kinda hurts cause of the effort I put into this car for the 5 years I've owned it. I may want a 2010 Chevy Cobalt Le T 4 Door in ice blue with chrome handles, side trim and tip. They have one at our GM dealership. May deal the Lumina in. Maybe it's time to move on...

I wonder if the rockers had been replaced on the car prior to you owning it? I have a Neighbour that had new rockers put onto a chevy venture. Well, 3 years later, the replacements were rotted right through, and our winters are no where near as harsh on vehicles as yours are. Replacement body panels (with the exception of bolt on factory panels) never last like the originals.

Around here, if a car isn't kept up from day 1 it will be rotting by the time it is 5 years old. My cars, I have kept up and I usually get 8-10 years old before they start to show rust. It is inevitable, and it happens to cars driven year round.

That's why I pick and choose what I want to / don't want to save for driving through the winters. No matter how clean or crazy you are with washing cars during the winter and oiling them, they will still rust.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, if you wash your car religiously and take care of it, it shouldn't rust badly in snowy areas. Unless it's part of a vehicle that will always rust due to poor engineering or quality control.

All the rust and rot is shown on every 5th gen Monte. There's nothing I could have done, shy of re-doing what GM fucked up. I'm just happy my rocker panel covers are plastic and not metal like Luminas.

In terms of rocker panels.....I'm curious how the hell moisture and salt accumulates in them. They are sealed and rot from the inside out.

I'm pretty sure they're not sealed at the ends. And the sealing can be suspect as well. I had half of one rebuilt on my Cutlass Supreme when the hood/fender was repainted last year, and anticipate having to repeat the same in another couple years on another one if the car is still around.

Sometimes, with these cars, you just have to let go after a while. Either that, or get some good skills with sheet metal, paint, a grinder, cutter and some sheet metal gear, and go at it.

• 4 weeks later...
IMO, if you wash your car religiously and take care of it, it shouldn't rust badly in snowy areas. Unless it's part of a vehicle that will always rust due to poor engineering or quality control.

look at my rockers.....

A 4-door cobalt? you should save your money and buy a vagina instead...

In terms of rocker panels.....I'm curious how the hell moisture and salt accumulates in them. They are sealed and rot from the inside out.

i took the inner wheelwell out of the MC the other day... there was some mud stuffed up in there. wether it happened after the deer incident is anyone's guess, but i can see crap getting sprayed up in there easily...

so true the ga spent 9 years in the midwest got a car wash every week or two and the only rust on it is surface on the frame rails that i could sand off with no effort if i wanted