1988 Grand Prix 2.8 to 3100 swap

1988 Grand Prix

i disagree?

I don;t think the mounting on the engine for the dogbones will swap between engines, and his will not have the dogbone mounts, i think.

hell... do you already have the motor? take pics of it!

Being this is from a Malibu, are you referring to the engine-side support brackets that the dogbones would mount to?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988 Grand Prix

• Crazy K

• RobertISaar

• Dark Ride

i disagree?

I don;t think the mounting on the engine for the dogbones will swap between engines, and his will not have the dogbone mounts, i think.

hell... do you already have the motor? take pics of it!

Being this is from a Malibu, are you referring to the engine-side support brackets that the dogbones would mount to?

yeah.

like so:

3100sfi4gh5ph1ri7rh0.jpg

I am swapping a 3400 in my 92 in the next week or two, I will try to take lots of pics!

you will need:

front pass side engine bracket for the dog bone

95+3100 W-body 3100 throttole cable

some way to control the kick down cable (j-body guys use a early 90's quad 4 throttle box)

31/3400 exhaust manifolds and down pipe

lower rad hose (hose dia. got smaller in '92 on the timing cover inlet)

upper rad hose for a 95+ 3100 w-body

heater hoses are different but not hard to get around

use the compleate 2.8 harness, swap your 2.8 injetors in to the 3100 fuel rail and plug your injector harness into the injectors. A few wires need to be relocated in the harness (knock sensor is on the front on the 31/3400s, coils on top of the engine...)

92-94 cavalier 2.2l coolant temp sensor and connector (3-wire) that way you do not have to drill and tap your rear cyl head for the guage.

lower engine mount I think is different on the oil pan for the 31/3400's

I am sure their is more I am missing, I will know for sure in the next two weeks

I may have a extra 31/3400 front engine bracket that I can sell you, I will take a look through my stuff!

One more thing to be aware of, the 88 2.8 has 2 oil pressure sending units. One near the oil filter like all other cars, and one up top near the distributor drive gear.

ry%3D400

The 88 harness uses two, 2 wire pressure sensors, vs 1 3 wire from 89 on. The one up top can be left unplugged, just keep in mind that it was a fuel pump relay fail safe. If your fuel pump relay went out, this would bypass it once you built up oil pressure during cranking. Just carry a spare relay and the problem is solved.

ry%3D400

I have a basically everything except the block from a '95 3100, so if you need mounts, brackets, ect. I can probably help you out, just let me know for sure what you need. :smile:

I PM'd you Mitch. Thanks.

Thanks to all the rest of you too.

I am planning on starting the swap this next week. I will keep you posted on my progress, and if I have any questions I will ask.

Sure it will bolt up just fine, but you have to consider gear ratios and will it hold up to the extra power of the 3100... Also, you said your going to use the old PCM? I am wondering if it will still shift correctly

the original tranny should have 3.33 gears, which is what the 94-95 Ws(and MANY more) had, nothing that hasn't been done before.

of course it will still shift correctly, assuming the vacuum modulator and TV cable are hooked up correctly. the tranny will never know the difference...

the plan is still using the original ECM since there is nothing wrong with a 1227727 running 6D, that way he can keep his digi dash...

Yah,

~I plan on getting everything squared away this weekend, that way I can start removing the 2.8 and start putting the useable parts onto the 3100. Then I can start installing the 3100 the middle of next week. Wish me luck!~

After I get the 2.8 pulled and all the useful parts taken off, would anyone like a really good boat anchor, doorstop, or a freakin' huge paperweight? :lol:

Just an update: I got the engine unloaded from my dad's S10 today. Now I can start disassembling the 2.8 on Monday.

I'll get pictures posted either tomorrow or Monday.

Oh BTW,

Will my 2.8L exhaust manifolds fit the 3100? I would really like to use the stock exhaust location.

I've heard that I would have to have a exhaust shop custom fab a downpipe if I used the 3100 manifolds. I want to stay away from that if possible.