1988 Grand Prix 2.8 to 3100 swap

1988 Grand Prix

Hello, I have a 1988 Grand Prix that currently has a dead 2.8L w/ 249,092 miles. I bought a '00 3100 out of a rear-ended Malibu. I have posted this question on the 660 forum, and RobertIsaar, suggested that I post on here to see if anybody had any suggestions/ideas.

If anyone has any suggestions or success stories, I'd sure like to hear them. Anything that you think might make this swap go smoothly. Thank you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988 Grand Prix

• Crazy K

• RobertISaar

• Dark Ride

supposedly a 3100 will work on a 3.1mpfi chip, using the 3.1mpfi injectors. you might be able to update your car by using a 1989-90 wiring harness and a chip from a 89-90 car with a 3.1...

Yah, I'm curious too.

What did all of you (those of you who swapped a 3100 into your older w-body) do to make it fit? I mean, are there any parts that have to be moved/modified to make it fit?

chip has already been worked out.

whats the difference in the 88 and 89-90 engine harnesses?

the 88's had the MAF sensor that was notoriously bad and had to be reprogrammed for speed density? it may be possible to re-wire?

you need 3100 W-body motor mounts. that said, someone here may have them....

chip has already been worked out.

whats the difference in the 88 and 89-90 engine harnesses?

the 88's had the MAF sensor that was notoriously bad and had to be reprogrammed for speed density? it may be possible to re-wire?

you need 3100 W-body motor mounts. that said, someone here may have them....

it already has the recall done for S-D. using PROM ASWH, which according to service bulletin 88-6-97, is the fixed PROM.

would it be possible to pull the mounts off of the 2.8 and bolt them to the 3100?

Thanks Robertisaar, I was wondering about that too.

I don't see why the mounts wouldn't work. I've heard that a 3100 is just a newer 3.1 which in turn is just a 2.8 with a bigger bore. They used the same block I think.

I don't see why the mounts wouldn't work. I've heard that a 3100 is just a newer 3.1 which in turn is just a 2.8 with a bigger bore. They used the same block I think.

not identical, but VERY similar.

Oh.

So, would the motor mounts off of the 2.8 work?

thats what i was suggesting...

they should as long as they bolt up the same way they do on the 2.8...

Oh.

So, would the motor mounts off of the 2.8 work?

thats what i was suggesting...

they should as long as they bolt up the same way they do on the 2.8...

motor mounts are the same... BRACKETS are different. you need the W body specific 3100 brackets.

Boy Garrett Powered, you sure like the rare turbo Grand Prix. I like that.

In order to get the motor mount brackets from a junkyard, I would have to take the motor out of a junked car.

If I absolutely need these brackets to make it work, I would appreciate it greatly if someone would find them for me and PM me. I will gladly pay you something for them. In the PM I will give you my address. Thank you!

I'd like to get this project started sooner than later. :burnout:

If you can't get them for a week or so, that's ok. Im not in that big of a hurry.

I'd just want them before Halloween.

Thanks!

Boy Garrett Powered, you sure like the rare turbo Grand Prix. I like that.

you gotta love em. there is a lot of good cars made around that time by GM.

you can reuse your upper mounts (they will line up) and your lower mount. BUT you will need a lower mount bracket if your engine doesn't have one attached.

Things you'll need:

- Accelerator cable and cruise cable

- custom mount for transmission TV cable to the throttle body

- wiring harness, or modify your existing one to account for some different connectors (alternator, knock sensor, etc), different location of a few sensors and the ignition coils

- I think the coolant hoses between the engine and heater core are different. Also you'll need 3100 coolant bypass tubes if you don't already have them

- Power steering pump from a 3100 along with pressure hose and maybe the return hose too

- Exhaust downpipe between rear exhaust and catalyst

I'm sure I'm missing more but that's something to put in your pocket to start with.

i disagree?

I don;t think the mounting on the engine for the dogbones will swap between engines, and his will not have the dogbone mounts, i think.

hell... do you already have the motor? take pics of it!

i disagree?

I don;t think the mounting on the engine for the dogbones will swap between engines, and his will not have the dogbone mounts, i think.

hell... do you already have the motor? take pics of it!

he has it.