• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• jake91

• tornado_735

• xtremerevolution

Top Posters In This Topic

the main thing that would scare me away Andrei, is that you are OBD 1.5.

not so fast...

RED GTP did it on his 94 GP, and then to a 94 CS.....

and you can also convert to a different PCM...

K: those were probably 3.4 cars, right? well andrei has a L27, but luckily, the 1995 L36($5B6) code was cracked and it uses the same PCM, meaning, using a base BIN from a 95 L36, you have a tuneable PCM... unfortunately, the person who made the XDF didn't stick the manual transmission option flag in it..... if/when i find it, then he can do it without swapping PCMs....

K: those were probably 3.4 cars, right? well andrei has a L27, but luckily, the 1995 L36($5B6) code was cracked and it uses the same PCM, meaning, using a base BIN from a 95 L36, you have a tuneable PCM... unfortunately, the person who made the XDF didn't stick the manual transmission option flag in it..... if/when i find it, then he can do it without swapping PCMs....

yes. RED GTP wired it in with the OBD 1.5 PCM, but set it up so the car thought it was in drive except when the clutch was pressed in, utilizing the clutch switch.

yes. RED GTP wired it in with the OBD 1.5 PCM, but set it up so the car thought it was in drive except when the clutch was pressed in, utilizing the clutch switch.

thats a ghetto method but it will work. i MAY have found the manual transmission option in the 5B6 code, but the clutch-switch trick is a surefire thing....

well andrei, got any decision on the situation? once a good L36 PROM is found, then you'll have a tuneable car and can run a 5 speed if you want.

thats a ghetto method but it will work. i MAY have found the manual transmission option in the 5B6 code, but the clutch-switch trick is a surefire thing....

well andrei, got any decision on the situation? once a good L36 PROM is found, then you'll have a tuneable car and can run a 5 speed if you want.

Once the jaguar is done and running properly, I'll start searching for a 282 (as I hear that 282's are rebuildable, and 284's are not), and everything I need for the conversion, but that might not be for another few months, maybe even half a year, and that's assuming I feel like pulling a transmission during the winter. It would probably be done next year in the spring, or right after I find a 95 L36 PROM, if funds permit.

First ever 1st gen regal 5 speed swap? First ever L27 5-speed combo? Sounds very intriguing. How much can I get a 5 speed and all the parts for?

first ever 5 speed regal, period as far as i know...

i've seen members here selling stuff for the full conversion for less than 500.

i tried getting a 282 conversion from J a LONG time ago and he was willing to let it go for a little over 300.

correct on the 282/284 situation. and seeing how L27s like to make their torque in the lower RPM ranges, rebuildable is a plus.

I wonder what my 1/4 mile times would be with a 5 speed swap. I was at 16.1 before I ported the LIM and put in the roller rockers, and that was in hot and humid weather.

all i can say on this thread is that if something i going to go it wont matter what trans is in it.

now in a very small way it does make a tiny bit of sense, although i know it is not very related,

My 2 trucks

1990 Chevy scottsdale 5spd manual revs higher than my 1994 chevrolet silverado automatic but i wouldnt even hesitate rethinking a 5speed swap

it revs higher because you force it to... not at all related to it being "broken in" with an auto. that is the single stupidest thing i've heard today, and probably all week and my wife is trying to convince me london isn't in england :dunno:

Well, the story didn't come from me, I just wondered if there was any basis to it. From the sound of things, no.

maybe in backwards land, but even then don't count on it...

If you start revving an engine in a higher range than it was normally run at you can break the top rings.

The pistons are used to stopping at a certain place, higher revs will push them out a little farther.

Happened to my first mustang, had to use a ridge reamer.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :noman: :noman2: :wtc: :buddy:

WTF are you smoking? LMK I want some!! The piston is only capable of rising as far as the connecting rod will allow it to physically travel, theres no way in hell a 6000 rpm rev will stretch a connecting rod and allow more upward travel. Physics is obviously not your forte. There is zero difference in what the rev limiter in the ECM of a manual or auto trans equipped vehicle. The transmission has absolutely ZERO bearing on an engines red line.

But, an automatic 3.4 DOHC car has shift points at 6000rpm to save the trans. A manual 3.4 DOHC car has the rev limiter over 7000rpm. The additional amount of stretch has to be minimal. If you wanted to get the revs up there, a manual is the best way to do it.

But, an automatic 3.4 DOHC car has shift points at 6000rpm to save the trans. A manual 3.4 DOHC car has the rev limiter over 7000rpm. The additional amount of stretch has to be minimal. If you wanted to get the revs up there, a manual is the best way to do it.

The thing is, there is no stretch. Not arguing with you, since I agree the manual can allow you to rev slightly higher, but that doesn't affect the travel of the pistons. Seriously, that notion is flawed on so many levels. If people made an engine with connecting rods THAT flexible, you'd have issues with compression changing as your RPMs rise, and it would be a nightmare to tune and adjust timing for. Connecting rods don't stretch; its that simple.

Not that I'd have to worry about it if I 5-speed swapped my regal, since this engine doesn't make much power past 5000 rpm anyway. I can get it to 5400 in 2nd gear but that's as far as it will go, and that last 400 rpm don't do much.

those are shift points, not the rev limiter.

of the 4 3.4 DF BINs i have, 3 are automatics and the rev limiter is as follows:

Automatics

AWMJ: 6050

BCDY: 6050

BHAK: 6050

Manuals:

BCFA: 6300

there is only a 250RPM difference. if THAT is enough to kill the motor, it was going to go soon anyways...