Suspension, steering & brake overhaul on my 91 Int'l (94+ rear brake q's pg 2)

GOT2B GM

New front Tinken wheel bearings, KYB Excel-G strut cartridges clearance from Rock Auto, greasable tie rod ends and ball joints, Monroe strut bearings, Raybestos 11.25" brake rotors, painted calipers, and sandblasted & powdercoated strut housings on the Cutlass. Should be good for a long while.

The car's a bit dry underneath, but that's what you get for a Canadian car driven every winter.

Only took pics of one side, but it's all done.

IMG_9023.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

Looks awesome. If was not running short on time I would have done the same thing to my knuckles.

How do you like the bigger rotors so far?

considered doing poly sway bar bushings, but its my DD not my handling machine.

Haven't really stomped on the brakes yet, but having the bigger front brakes with the PM3 should haul down pretty good. Now I need to the 94+ rears, but I'd like to retain my ebrake,

94+ rears aren't very hard to add a parking brake cable to. Speaking of which I need to do that before my safety inspection is up at end of august :leaving:

Do you have to get 94+ ebrake cables? Or can I modify the lever on the caliper to accept the priginal cables?

Some people have aparently used the OE cables, how I do not know. I just went to the junkyard with a drill and pulled the cables and drilled out the spot welds that hold the bracket to the frame, took the bracket, drilled the bracket off my car and used self tapping metal hex heads to hold it on. it held up on my old z34 great for years. you can still use the old pedal and release assembly.

there is a joint in the same position on both the early and late model parking brake cables... located under the car right under the driver's door. In theory you could swap to newer model parking brake cables for the rear and still hook them to the ratchet type parking brake.

I think that the front cable is actually the same between all the cars...

In theory you could swap to newer model parking brake cables for the rear and still hook them to the ratchet type parking brake.

in practice, actually.

yep, it worked out pretty good, had no problem holding the car on a steep incline too. I THINK i have pictures somewhere... damn you for not having AIM!

That powdercoat is a nice touch.

Haven't really stomped on the brakes yet, but having the bigger front brakes with the PM3 should haul down pretty good.

It oughta' put you in the windshield on hard stops now. :lol:

i thinks he used por 15! but looks good matt

sandblasted & powdercoated strut housings on the Cutlass.

i thinks he used por 15! but looks good matt

He got them powdercoated at Century, same place that did my wheels!

Jamie

give me about a day or so i swear I have some buried in the depths of my computer. I took pictures years ago for a write up I never did.

OK, for the 94+ rear swap, I need to remove this :

DSC00415.jpg

and add this:

DSC00416.jpg

??????

no, just run the cable through the existing point at that loaction, after removing the original cable.

there is another bracket further back than that which is not present on your car...

I didnt look back further, I'm sure I'll figure it out when I look again, but pics will still be great. Maybe time to finish that write up that never came to be?? :lol: