91 GP... Dead.

Addicted To Boost

It broke off right where the o-ring sits, and I did get the o-ring out, so there should be nothing holding it in there really. I just have nowhere to grab the rest of the sensor.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• AWeb80

• Crazy K

• 5speedz34

Mine has 223k on it, and been living in a very hot and very dry climate for the last 18 years.. May or may not have something to do with it.

:willynilly:

I went and fought with it for a good 4 hours this afternoon. I tried heating a very coarse thread screw red-hot and sticking it in there.. Then I tried threading it into the sensor.. and a combination of both with no luck.

Question: If I had a cherrypicker to support the engine, and I dropped the frame cradle and dropped the engine oil pan, can I access the CKP from inside the engine? Or is the crankshaft completely in the way?

Any other ideas? I really want to keep this car, but I'm running out of ideas.

No, but I bet I can mingle with the local clubGP members and find one :lol: I bought the car from a former CGP member. I'm saving the engine lift for last resort, I'd like to get the sensor out without pulling the engine.

I believe when the mechanic who was working on my old car broke the crank position sensor off that he took the oil pan off and got it out that way. Might be easier, good luck.

only TWO ways for a totally borked sensor to be removed... from the outside or from the inside.

inside requires removal of the oil pan. the sensor can them be pushed out or broken apart until nothing is left.

outside... requires extraction of the sensor reminants. I want to try this first... since pulling a 3.1 is really not that hard:

drain coolant system and remove all hoses

remove radiator

remove downpipe bolts

remove starter

drop a/c compressor and ziptie to radiator support (or detach A/C line if discharged)

remove flexplate cover (if present)

loosen and remove flexplate to coverter bolts

unfasten engine harness from body and c100 connector, ziptie it and the ecm on top of motor

disconnect throttle, fuel, and vacuum hoses.

remove driver's side mount bolts

support transmission by pan

remove bellhouse bolts

lift!

something like that. remind me to do that next week!

A couple buddies and I are going to use their engine hoist and pull the subframe and oil pan off to get it out. We'll see how soon it happens, as I'm going back to MN on Saturday for 3 weeks.

I would yank the motor.....messing with the subframe will cost you an alignment and getting it loose from the control arms or balljoints won't be fun IMO.

If you can replace the knock sensor also.

Get some gorilla tape and see if you get it to stick to the flat part of the sensor on the outside of the engine. Gorilla tape is some pretty sticky shit. Or maybe fabricate a little handle out of JB weld, stick it to the broken sensor, let it get hard, and pull it out. I have no idea what this looks like so I'm just spitballin'.

The sensor is snapped off half an inch inside the block. Tape is not going to work here.

I already tried getting a sheetmetal screw red hot and sticking it in and pulling it out, and that didn't work either. That sucker is STUCK in there. The motor will have to be pulled.

The sensor is snapped off half an inch inside the block. Tape is not going to work here.

I already tried getting a sheetmetal screw red hot and sticking it in and pulling it out, and that didn't work either. That sucker is STUCK in there. The motor will have to be pulled.

All I can say is good luck then. Christ that sucks. Makes me wonder about my CPS.

What about the JB weld or some other epoxy, the only trick there would be to spray the shit out of it with degreaser and make sure it's as clean as possible first. You said something about coming back up to MN, I would try JB'ing something to it. Clean it up really good, apply the stuff really thick (careful not to get it where the sensor and block meet), and go to MN. When you come back, try and get it out. It should be set up really good by the time you get back. It can't hurt, unless you get it where the block and sensor meet.

how about a small chisel and hammer? i'm not sure how it looks at this point...

and do you happen to have one of those seal pullers for removing the metal band from the tranny filter after you remove it, it might work...

I already tried getting a sheetmetal screw red hot and sticking it in and pulling it out' date=' and that didn't work either. That sucker is STUCK in there. The motor will have to be pulled.

[/quote']

What about the JB weld or some other epoxy, the only trick there would be to spray the shit out of it with degreaser and make sure it's as clean as possible first. You said something about coming back up to MN, I would try JB'ing something to it. Clean it up really good, apply the stuff really thick (careful not to get it where the sensor and block meet), and go to MN. When you come back, try and get it out. It should be set up really good by the time you get back. It can't hurt, unless you get it where the block and sensor meet.

Hell, I fixed a gaping hole in the side of my transmission on my Land Rover with JB weld. That stuff is the bomb!

Meh I'm done with messing around with it. I'm pulling the motor when I get back to AZ. That will give me a chance to clean my engine bay and powertrain anyway :cool:

Meh I'm done with messing around with it. I'm pulling the motor when I get back to AZ. That will give me a chance to clean my engine bay and powertrain anyway :cool:

Better throw a 282 in there while you're at it then :lol:

Better throw a 282 in there while you're at it then :lol:

If I can find one... there's supposedly a 91 CS International with a 284 in a Phoenix salvage yard... I'll have to see if Manic has any updates on it.