91 GP... Dead.

Addicted To Boost

My 91 GP has a fueling issue. When I refuel at a gas station, I can barely squeeze the trigger, or gas just sprays back out at me. It will fill if you barely squeeze the trigger and fill it very slowly.

Also, last week I ran it at WOT for a good 1/2 mile and was at a high throttle opening on the highway and the car completely cut out.. it acted like it ran out of gas.. but all the gauges were functioning and the engine was still running, coasting down. I coasted down a ramp and I smelled fuel for a few seconds, then the engine fired to life again after being seemingly dead for at least 15 seconds of coasting. While it was coasting, it set a check engine light, but when it fired up again, the light turned off very shortly after. The car has been fine otherwise :dunno: I was thinking maybe a clogged fuel tank vent causing it to temporarily vapor lock... I'm not really sure. Any ideas guys?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• AWeb80

• Crazy K

• 5speedz34

Sounds like the issue is vent tube related.

It's just acting up because you took a picture of it next to that 300zx and said you want the 300zx, you're simply being paid back now :lol:

:lol:

Which vent hoses am I looking at here? IIRC, there are a couple vent hoses going to a vent canister near the driver's side rear wheel..

Not sure on that, if it was a park avenue I could tell you, I had to replace my filler tube and had all sorts of venting issues, all I had to do was pull the clamp off and stretch the vent tube a bit. It had a bit too much slack in it and wasn't kinked, but partially collapsed. Mine would get 2/3 full and click off, from there you had to lightly pull the trigger and it would keep clicking off. I actually ran it over 2 or 3 times because you never really knew when it was actually full.

The main one to check is the one going to the cap along the filler.

Don't know about there.. but around here there's been a lot of vandalism lately.. people are going around and filling peoples filler tubes with spray foam and all kinds of shit.

The car has had the fueling issue since I first got it in January. I'll check for codes later, but I kinda doubt it saved the code since the light turned off almost right away.

Checked my codes tonight.. still no check engine light.. and it gave me code 13. What is this? It has never come up before.

Checked my codes tonight.. still no check engine light.. and it gave me code 13. What is this? It has never come up before.

"CODE 13

Trouble Code 13 indicates that the exhaust stream oxygen-content sensor (O2 sensor) is not responding as expected. When cold, the sensor is 'biased' by the ECM to about 450 millivolts. Before it warms to at least 600 deg F (315 deg C) it acts as an open circuit and when the ECM reads it, it reads the 450 mV bias. The ECM expects the sensor to warm in a short period of time and begin sending its own voltages. The general conditions for this code getting set are:

* engine running at least 2 minutes

* coolant temperature at least 50 deg C (122 deg F)

* O2 voltage not fluctuating (i.e steady between 350 and 550 mV)

* TPS signal above idle

* all above conditions met for 60 seconds

Typical causes may include:

1. Defective or degraded O2 sensor

2. Deposit-contaminated O2 sensor (running leaded fuel, RTV silicone deposits etc)

3. Corroded/defective O2 sensor connection

4. Defective sensor ground circuit

5. Defective connection at ECM

6. Defective ECM

NOTE: If codes 21 and/or 22 are also present cause '4' above should be checked first."

you have a fucking mercedes? and you drive the GP? wow, you do love your Ws...

:lol: F the mercedes, the grand prix is where its at :lol:

wow, you do love your Ws...

Why yes I do! :lol: Just not so much at the moment.. pushing a 3,400 pound car a half mile in 100 degree weather is not fun. Yes, I'm just borrowing the Mercedes lol. Its very nice and smooth, but honestly I prefer my TGP. Its more comfortable and faster then the Benz.

Anyway... I had to give my dad a ride to work today and it just mysteriously died about a half mile from his work. It would sit and crank, crank, crank, but nothing. So we pushed it there and parked it.. I tried starting it again and it fired right up :willynilly: but it smelled very strongly of gasoline.. it ran completely fine though at that point. So I turned around and started to drive home.. I got a block and it died again. Now it will start occasionally, but only run at 1/2-full throttle and it smells strongly of gasoline. We pushed it back again and now there it sits. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :willynilly: Why?

sounds like it needs a FPR, a friend of mine had their 88 2.8 gp's FPR go bad, when I took the air cleaner off the throttle body, gas would actually run out while cranking.

The previous owner replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

I need to look into it more when I have time. I haven't checked the vacuum line to see if there is any fuel in it either.

My 1988 Regal had the refueling issue. It's possible that the filler neck was somehow kinked slightly or something when it was put back in.

But that shouldn't keep it from running obviously, as you've been driving it.

See if you're getting spark, of course, then fuel.

Its definitely getting fuel. It smells VERY strongly of gasoline, and it will start sometimes.. when it does, the exhaust smells strongly of gas. I'm going to check the vac lines around the FPR first, and if that checks out, replace the CPS.. and go from there.

Check Your O2. My Gp's Went Dead And There Was LOTS of gas and black smoke. the o2 eventually went off. but took some time. remember, these obd1 and 1.5 systems aren't that sensitive

IDK. my car ran very bad when it failed though. almost died. the computer went to safe mode and richened the mixture because it thought the o2 was reading lean. so it errored on the safe side and dumped fuel as to not pop a piston