Sorry to ask...but i need YOUR Help

dkorinko

Well guys, this is going to be a long story but please read on because i need anyones help. I am the EXTREMELY pround owner of a 1989 Turbo Grand Prix. The car is beautiful, it is washed three to four times a week, the paint is just amazing on it. I am sure some of you all know the previous owner-Mike Gardner. I know he was running 13's with this car. Well here is the deal, the guy that had it before me (mike Pesquiera R.I.P budy) was very hard on the car, he did neutral drops at 5000 rpm all the time and ran insane levels of boost. He cracked the block on the back cylinder of the driver side. But before i bought it from him, he sealed the block for me and said it would be good for awhile. And well, it was, unil now that is. The car leaks coolant all over the place and is not even driveable because when you drive it for more then about 10 min, it starts spitting water into the intake, and we all know that that is not good at all. So this is where all of you come in, If i do not find a way to fix the block my parents are selling the car, and i am sure you all think, just get a job right??? well i tried, my parents say that i cant not have a job because i need to focus on school. And they are not willing to fix the car for me. So my next concern was to find a good owner, that didnt work out either, my parents already found someone to sell the car to and you guys would cry if you could see how this guy is going to treat this car, he drives and old little nissan pickup, he has rust all over it and the most burger king trash i have ever seen in one place. He would absolutely destroy this car. And like i said, if anyone here remembers mike Gardner, you will know how beautiful this car really is and how fast it is. So i am asking you guys, please, help me out anyway you can. Let me fix this car so it does not have to go to waste...I hate to beg, but I am....please reply back to this post and let me know if you can help me out at all....Thank you.

Dane Korinko

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dkorinko

• GnatGoSplat

• Chris A

• kheider

Well- I am not trying to be rude or anything but i already knew that...I am trying to tell you guys that if i dont get a new block the car is gonna go to waste, a beautiful 89 TGP gone. So I either need to find a really, really cheap solution to all this, have all you guys donate a little bit of money...or the car is going out the door. I know i sound stupid begging for money but i know anyone who has a TGP would do the same thing if theres was being ripped away from them and there was noting he or she could do about it.

4 bottles of Aluminum and copper leak stop and cylinder diactivation and low boost for a while. THats the only way. Untill next semester or the holidays when you have money then replace the block. Or you could put it up for sale here and the other TGP board without your people knowing.

Guest TurboSedan
Well- I am not trying to be rude or anything but i already knew that...I am trying to tell you guys that if i dont get a new block the car is gonna go to waste, a beautiful 89 TGP gone. So I either need to find a really, really cheap solution to all this, have all you guys donate a little bit of money...or the car is going out the door. I know i sound stupid begging for money but i know anyone who has a TGP would do the same thing if theres was being ripped away from them and there was noting he or she could do about it.

i would think you could get a n/a 3.1 VIN 'T' block and rebuild it using your TGP crank (if it's even different which i doubt), and a n/a 3.1 engine should be REALLY cheap and easy to find....they are everywhere....

the rebuild might not be so cheap tho.....

you would have slightly higher compression, but why not go for lower compression pistons while you're at it :) then you can run the boost that the previous owner did.....

joshua

Hi Dane,

I have a spare Turbo (Vin V) block that I could sell you. But I wouldn't suggest you buying it

(and paying for shipping from Sacramento, CA) unless you are serious about doing a rebuild.

If you want a cheap solution, buy a 3.1 MPFI engine complete (with ECM) from pick 'n' pull

and do a engine swap. Cheaper gas, and easier to maintain.

Then when you have the $$$$ you can rebuild the Turbo block properly.

You could also bolt the Turbo accessories (turbo fuel injectors, cross over pipe) to the 3.1 MPFI

NA engine but I would not expect a junkyard 3.1 MPFI to hold up to BOOST very long. You said

that you wanted a reliable car, right? If a junkyard 3.1 MPFI blows up because of boost you

can only complain to yourself.

Kevin- How much do you want for that turbo block you have??? And do you have an estimation as to how much shipping would be on it??? Let me know ASAP. Thanks!

Well what does the board think a fair price is? It is just the block, no crankshaft or anything. But I could throw in the crankshaft and pistons, if needed/wanted. I'm not looking to make money, just making sure that I'm not giving it away either.

Well that is all i would need is the block, i dont want the pistons or the crank or any of that. My buddy said he could take care of everything else just as long as i can get the actual block. So whatever you think you wanna charge for it, please let me know, as i said before, i need it ASAP or the car is gonna go.

Guest TurboSedan

well i guess the 'V' block must be stronger :?: i have both 'T' and 'V' engines and i'm going to look into any differences (besides deck height).........i have my TGP engine on my garage floor and am about to start the 'freshening up' process. also pulling the 'T' engine out of the CS too of course.

i'm still under the impression they are the same, i myself would just use a thicker head gasket but i really don't know what i'm talking about...(yet). just specualtion at this point.

joshua

KEVIN- Please let me know what you want for that turbo block, ASAP!!! I need to know! And like i said, i dont need the pistons or the crank or anything. Just the block itself. Thanks

KEVIN- Please let me know what you want for that turbo block, ASAP!!! I need to know! And like i said, i dont need the pistons or the crank or anything. Just the block itself. Thanks

$150 for the block + shipping (as Chris said sounds fair to me.) Let me try and get a feel

for shipping costs. My zip code is 95841. What is your Zipcode?

Who is a good company to go to for FREIGHT type shipping?

PS: the block came from a clean 90 Turbo STE with 110k miles. The block has not been

bored. I was going to drop the motor into my clean & already modded 90 GP LE but decided

to just go pick up a 90 black TGP with the turbo already installed. Why have one GP, when

I can have two? The GP LE for aggressive handling and the TGP-T3 for speed.

A bare block should be light enough it can go UPS. That would be WAAAY cheaper than freight.

If its not less than 150lbs (which i'm pretty sure it is, a 282 trans with the flywheel and parts was less), try freightquote.com. I use them for shipping and found they have the best rates hands down. Best connectivity too. A lot of individual freight companies don't go to all locations, so they will have to drop it to another carrier which sends the price way up. Freightquote can book carriers that go direct cutting costs.

Guest TurboSedan

If its not less than 150lbs (which i'm pretty sure it is, a 282 trans with the flywheel and parts was less)

fwiw, i could pick up & carry my Getrag 282 around (albeit not for long). never tried picking up a bare iron block, but that's alot of iron....

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

PS: the block came from a clean 90 Turbo STE with 110k miles.speed.

mine came from a '90 TSTE also, with 111,000 miles :) btw, what T3 turbo are you using? i have an extra crossover that i'm keeping for a T3 turbo upgrade later. i was even thinking of using an '89 Turbo Dodge Turbo II Garrett T03 (i already have one - just gotta 'borrow' it from my GTS), but i'm not sure yet....

and did that T3 make a big difference? how fast is that thing?!!!

joshua

PS: the block came from a clean 90 Turbo STE with 110k miles.speed.

mine came from a '90 TSTE also, with 111,000 miles :) btw, what T3 turbo are you using? i have an extra crossover that i'm keeping for a T3 turbo upgrade later. i was even thinking of using an '89 Turbo Dodge Turbo II Garrett T03 (i already have one - just gotta 'borrow' it from my GTS), but i'm not sure yet....

joshua

I'm not 100% sure..but I think Jeff may still be testing it :wink:

As long as we are on the subject of engine parts, I could use a TGP crankshaft. If anyone has one, let me know. :D

Board: What is a fair price for a good 981 crankshaft?

Since Jeff M. and I are nearing the completion of our project, I am ready to start unloading extra parts.

Tomorrow I'll go check on the location of the crankshaft.

mine came from a '90 TSTE also, with 111,000 miles :) btw, what T3 turbo are you using?

We are using a custom T3 hybrid.

(Until Jeff and I are done I do not want to release too many details.)

joshua

Jeff is still tuning the beast. The engine is rebuilt/modded, the tranny is rebuilt/modded, the car

has larger injectors, Jeff's heads, and a high flow exhaust. I guess we can say that the car is fast!!

But with Mike G. cracking his block, the 4T60 exploding when pushed too hard... I want to make

sure I build a TGP that is reliable as well as fast. The stock turbo was good for 260-280HP, mine

is good for 320-350HP, but I want to be careful and not needlessly blow-up the 4T60 or destroy

the block. I want a balance of reliability and power. Jeff and I have been working on this project

for a couple of years.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. All good things take time.

Board: What is a fair price for a good 981 crankshaft?

Since Jeff M. and I are nearing the completion of our project, I am ready to start unloading extra parts.

Tomorrow I'll go check on the location of the crankshaft.

Thanks! :D Let me know what you want for it..once the board throws out some numbers :lol: