Questions about Dash 'swap'...

RedGTP

Hello,

Well, I have some questions about a dash..

When I will swap my manual into my cutlass, I want put my GTP dash into my CSC, for some personnal reason.. I mush like a GP dash vs CSC 94 dash.. but my questions is :

-The gp dash, it will a perfect fit in my CSC.. with same hole for screw in same place?

-The clusters was different... It's the same connection in GP and CS, plug and play ? if not .. it's possible the change wire to make this change ?!? and .. for the HUD too and DIC...

-I have a Automatic climate controle on my CSC, but in my GTP it's a standard 3 switchs, I can take a automatic climate controle from CS 95-97, and just make plug and play ? or it have different connector ?!?!

I prefer ask before start this project ...

thanks for your answers ! ;)

YAnn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedGTP

• Crazy K

• Venom

• Dirk_Diggler

When I did the swap in my car it was a direct swap, but my car is a 95 and the dash was the same from the passanger side over to the door. But I remember Bob (1LoudCutty) telling me that the dash would be a direct swap into the older models as well.

Also when I added the HUD and DIC I had to wire them up using the wiring guides provided on the site here. For the cluster you may have to repin or completely change the cluster wiring connector, but Im sure someone else will chime in on that.

I have done basically what you are asking.... I installed a 95 CS dash into a 94 CS, and 95-97 CS vs 94-96 GP is very similar.

since you have the complete donor interior, you can swap it wires and all, and even use all the GP instruments, or get 95-97 CS instruments.

the biggest thing I had to do was remove the brackets from the left and right side of the inner "A" pillars, where the newer dash is mounted, and attach them to my 94. I took pictures when I did this, which i could try to get up later.

other things you need to figure out: the convertible has the top switch and the autodown module, which are both mounted in the dash. You need to figure out what to do to relocate them, and make sure that they remain wired into the new dash to work.

also, will you be doing a door panel upgrade?

thanks !

I'm not sure what you say about the top switch and the autodown module,

I think the most easyer way it's keep the CS wires and just change connector/wire for my GP cluster, DIC ans HUD.. I think ...

for the door it's in my plan to change to GP too, but I must change all ..... 'linkage' ?! all think I neep to open the door ... lol, remove a pop-rivet and change all linkage between each car, and I will keep the CS autodown windows ... I will make something with GP doorlock/windows cover with CS doorlock/windows switch .. I don't know what for the moment .. but ..I will see when I'll arrive at this point .. lol

for the back passenger trim .. I don't know what I can do ... it's not the same 'model' of trim ... maybe mold a GP with CSC, or just find a 95 trim of a CSC ...

some people know where I can have ALL wirrinh diagram of the car, not just little diagram, ALL wires in a car was on plan ....

I want for my GTP ans my CSC...

on the net if possible ... if not .. where ?! :)

thanks

i have some answers... but not all.

When you convert the car to 5 speed, are you hooking the 5 speed transmission to the cs engine or swapping it with the gp engine? Will you install the gp engine and transmission in the vert?

also, no reason to change the rear panels. a 95 GP and a 94 CS both have door mount seatbelts, correct?

I will take my CS engine.. only 128k kilos and no oil leak, my GTP have 198k and have a lot of oil leak + bif problem of idle...

Yes I have door mount seatbelts..

the 95 CSC have a rollbar mount seatbelts....

• 3 months later...

ok. Yanni, to but the GP interior into your CS... will need alot of the GP parts. everything that unbolts should come out.

here is one thing very important and different between the CS and GP... the GP has L brackets at the base of both A pilars, that the CS does not have. What you will have to do is the same thing I did to my 94 CS when I converted it to the newer 95 interior: drill out all the spot welds on the brackets of the GP, and then weld or bolt them into the CS. both brackets like like the letter "P", with a right angle where the dash mounts on the long side of the P.

The left bracket has the parking brake attached, and is similar to the one used in the CS with it's current parking brake (it is basically the same bracket but cut smaller)

The right bracket hs no bracket in the 94 CS... but you will see how it goes when you are done.

I have pics of what I did so you can see... coming soon.

as for the door panels... both cars use door mounted seatbelts, though you might have to change to the GP seatbelts to fit the GP doorpanels. good luck!

or the door it's in my plan to change to GP too, but I must change all ..... 'linkage' ?! all think I neep to open the door ... lol, remove a pop-rivet and change all linkage between each car, and I will keep the CS autodown windows ... I will make something with GP doorlock/windows cover with CS doorlock/windows switch .. I don't know what for the moment .. but ..I will see when I'll arrive at this point .. lol

Door handles themselves will have to be swapped. For the window switch mod go find yourself a base model GP in the yard and pull the "dummy" covers from each door panel. Will give a nice clean filler panel to work with to add or mod your cutlass switches to.

I knew I forgot something!!! I am not sure how you will do what was described above.... but.... the CS has an autodown module, but it is not located at the switch or the door. If you can get a switch from a 4 door GP, you should be able to use it in place of the CS switch (repinning or soldering might be needed) and the autodown feature will still work.

If possible, use the 4 door drivers switch plate in place of the two door switch plate, although I do not know if it will fit without custom modification.

otherwise, yes, you may have to swap the latching mechanism from the GP to use in the CS doors, due to the door handles changing.

Yann can do this, I know...The man is a genius.

And FWIW, my Blazer has an all window down module from a CS convertible... :wink:

Yes.. after this swap.. ALL will work very well ! :D lol

I have a god hands ! humm .. may-be not ! haha !

yes the pics will be post soon.. for the moment .. it's a GTP part out .. not very interesting .. lol

Some pics !

I was no garage to work, I buy a temporary shelter to do my swap.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

BU4 Part out ! IT'S FOR SALE !!

IMG_1448.jpg

Without dash

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

My A/C radiator mods (removed)

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

do you see the brackets on the left and right side where the dash and the metal support bar under the dash is bolted down? You need to drill or torch out the spot welds holding them in and remove them from the GP, and install in the CS...

THE WORLD HAS ENDED!!!!! I AM UPLOADING PICS!!!!!

see my dash swap album!

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/Crazy_Ken/Dash%20Swap%2095%20CS%20into%2094%20Cs/