the car locked me out...how do I get in? Details inside

kaptnjack

I am restoring/rescueing my new vert. Its in the garage and I have taken all the trim off around the top to repaint. The doors have been open all day and ran the battery down.

Its been in the garage, I pushed it outside to wash it. After washing I was going to put the charger on it while it dried. As soon as I hooked the charger to it... it auto locked the doors with the keys inside

I have all the outside roll bar molding off and can see down in there but cant figure out what I need to jimmy to get it open.

Anybody have this problem before?

How do I pick the lock, coathanger the rod or whatever? I have been foolin with it forover an hour and no luck.

I fooled with it for a couple hours and got nowhere. I ended up with calling roadside assistance for a locksmith.

I would like to disable the autolock feature as soon as I can determine if it is a factory function or part of an aftermarket alarm/security system

PITA autolock 'feature'! It's gotten me before but I've always been able to come up with a spare key...so far (knocks wood).

How do you disable that?

I've had to go in through the trunk because the engine stalled and the doors auto locked. What a dumb feature. :bash: Luckily my old Cutty had no rear deck speakers so I could just punch through the speaker grille and pull the fold-down seats down. :lol:

The autolock was modified in my '94...It locked the doors only if the car was moving faster than 9-10 MPH.

this has been done to my 94 and 95 as well. (thanks Taylor!)

the auto lock is controlled by the chime module. make it ding and follow it to it's location, above the passenger's feet, and disconnect the wire connector coming off of it, and you will disable auto locks. Taylor told my how to modify it to make sure auto locks work, but only engage once the vehicle exceeds 10 mph... and that is a really good idea to have set up that way.

The autolock was modified in my '94...It locked the doors only if the car was moving faster than 9-10 MPH.

this has been done to my 94 and 95 as well. (thanks Taylor!)

the auto lock is controlled by the chime module. make it ding and follow it to it's location, above the passenger's feet, and disconnect the wire connector coming off of it, and you will disable auto locks. Taylor told my how to modify it to make sure auto locks work, but only engage once the vehicle exceeds 10 mph... and that is a really good idea to have set up that way.

sounds good can you provide a link or description of that mod?

why call a locksmith unless you are in dire need to get into the car today? Just take the vin to the dealer and have them cut you a door key, shouldn't be more than $10, if that. Or call the dealer to get the code and then go to a locksmith and have them cut it from the code. Much cheaper than a house call.

Why would leaving the door open kill the batteries?

I thought there was a feature that turned the lights off after like 10 or 15 minutes if you didn't shut the door so it didn't kill the battery. I've left my doors open for hours and that always happened.

Why would leaving the door open kill the batteries?

I thought there was a feature that turned the lights off after like 10 or 15 minutes if you didn't shut the door so it didn't kill the battery. I've left my doors open for hours and that always happened.

???

where did this come up? oh, right....

only 94s and 95s (and up) have the turn off feature. ALSO, 1994 and earlier cars have seatbelt release solenoids that remain on whenever the door is open. I always disable those too.... but the keyhole light is feed off the same circuit. so... on 2 door cars, I unplug the solenoids(thus leaving the keyhole light functioning), and on 4 doors, I pull the relay.

Thanks for all the replies.

Disabling the autolock will be a necessity....its the second time its happened..both due to battery issues.

Also...thats a good tip abpit the dealer but it was Sunday and I needed in for several reasons. Also...I have prepaid roadside assistance with Sprint and my insurance carrier...might as well use it