Just picked up 1990 TGP need help : (

Shifter23

I just bought a red 90 TGP from the Jefferson Car show yesterday. Eh it has tons of probs. The deal is well it smokes a ton for of about 3 minutes run time and then boom James Bond smoke screen for about a block. I got the car cheap and it is actualy in good shape except for the major smoke prob. I was going to part it for another car but hell it looks great and actualy realy weird it performs great. I thought possible bad heads. Owner stated turbo line issues but no way it would do this. No coolant in oil but oil was over full by about a quart. Smoke screen is blue and white and tail pipes dripping mud shit so oil/coolant mix. Hmm well guys think a head swap and intake swap will fix this? If so i know i am going to get 3400 stuff put on. Or possible ring probs too? I would do a compression test but what do you all think? :sad:

Smoking can be caused by several things. The most common on these cars are a bad oil return line from the turbo. The stock one collapses internally, making the oil in the turbo unable to drain out, so the oil gets pushed past the turbo seals and into your exhaust.

You could do a compression test if you wanted to, its not hard or anything..

Here's the deal. When my turbo oil drain line, and turbocharger itself, went bad, I had the exact same smoke problem and mud out of the tailpipes that you do. To determine which problem you have, first reove the air housing going to the turbocharger, with the enigne cool. You will see the small wheel inside, wiggle it and see how much play or movement you get. If it's alot of play, your turbo needs a rebuild. If not, it's possible it's just your oil return line. One more thing to consider would be your oil seal in the turbo could have gone out...

Some things to check out.

Oh, and don't worry, we'll help you through this, and if this is your only problem, you're in good shape!

Thanks guys i was first freaking out about it. If that was all it is that would be great. I would like to do the head and intake swap but it runs so good. I like to mod but when it is this way it ia kinda hard, i do major stuff more when it is broken. If anyone knows a link for doing the oil seal, hit me up. Also i am not too familiar with turbos yet so if anyone can walk me through or a link to a walk through on the oil cooler line and diagnosis i would greatly appreciate it! :burnout:

I got a center section from garrett for $565 through a local diesel fuel injector store. I also bought a complete turbo from them for a grand several years back, genuine garrett remanned and it came with a threaded wastegate(adjustable). if your exhaust side is not cracked too bad you should be able to swap a center section in pretty easy if you got snap ring pliers.

you could take a chance with trying to get yours rebuilt somewhere. save some cash that way maybe. replacing with a blue silicone oil return line might help if yours is delaminating inside. I personally have never seen that happen but I guess it does. I always get new return lines just in case. :wink:

2056262_184.jpg

^this is a garrett reman sitting next to the one I bought for $200 off e-bay that was rebuilt by someone and failed right away. might of been a leaking feed line, not sure what the deal was but the garrett remanned one is sweet.

2056262_183.jpg

2056262_185.jpg

or you can go with a bigger turbo but it might cost more.

Krenzy, when you got your hybrid turbo, how much did that cost? and who did you go through? and how fast does it spool up?

LOL NO!!! When I did the hybrid route, I made the mistake of having a rpofessional who knew what he was doing, both mechanically and financially, so I got raped. Trust me it's cheaper to do it yourself.

As for the oil return, TGPilot (Kenny) on TGPForums sells oil return lines at the correct length, but you can just go get some high pressure hose and do it yourself.

LOL NO!!! When I did the hybrid route, I made the mistake of having a rpofessional who knew what he was doing, both mechanically and financially, so I got raped. Trust me it's cheaper to do it yourself.

As for the oil return, TGPilot (Kenny) on TGPForums sells oil return lines at the correct length, but you can just go get some high pressure hose and do it yourself.

I'm running one of Kenny's oil return lines on my TGP.

Well guys i fixed the oil return line damn it had a bubble that blocked it 95%!?!?! After i installed it i ran it for an hour and it stopped smoking for the most part. It also had a coolant leak lol yeah i found it the thermostat housing wasn't even tightened down! I could pull up on it and see a gap! Well i put in a new seal and tightened it down. Only smoke produced is at initial boost for a bit then nothing so we will see. Also i noticed some oil on the input side of the turbo does this mean i need a seal? Well at least it isnt a totaly bad deal. I was thinking of parting it for my 89 but i am a car fanatic and i couldnt see myself killing it id rather have two than one lol. Now i just need more storage. On the oil residue on the input side give me your feedback guys just so i can get her set right again. :wink:

Inout side...do you mean the front side where the air cleaner goes or the exhaust side with the downpipe?

If the front, it's probably just oil residue from the crankcase tube going to your stock air housing, and some oil blowing into the turbo...no problem.

Check your upper intercooler pipe and see if there's any oily residue. If so, since you've replaced the drain line, clean out the intercooler pipes and the intercooler. Should be good to go!

Nah i am not going to part it unless it was my last resort. Well guys i am driving it at the moment and yes Krenzy it is the air intake side so yeah it must just be oil residue from the crankcase. I did notice that sadly my HUD is not operating at the moment eh i'll figure it out you guys got any suggestions if it is in-op at the moment? Also sadly my passenger side signals don't work must be a switch or something all bulbs are good and hazzards actuate all bulbs fine so must be a switch any suggestions? Now i feel bad for my Black 89 since the 90 is getting the attention. I still like the 89 better but hell i need a trans but i guess at least i am keeping the miles down lol. :burnout:

For the HUD, any chance that you turned the dimmer all the way off?

If not, maybe the plug just fell out? Dashpad is very easy to remove. Two screws under the gauge bezel, then pop the clips up.

With the switch thing, I'm curious too. Occasionally my lights do the same, though 90% of the time they work fine.

I'll try that on my next day off this weekend hopefuly. Because it works perfect in my 89 but lol it needs a trans so all i get to stare at is a 0. So hopefuly yeah it is a plug because my speedometer is 15 m.p.h. too fast. That and come on, HUD gotta have it if it was equipped it is just plain cool! :peace:

Oh I hear you on that!! I can't drive any other car now, unless it has HUD. Just can't. I mean, you get so used to not looking down that looking down becomes a distraction.

Here's the deal. When my turbo oil drain line, and turbocharger itself, went bad, I had the exact same smoke problem and mud out of the tailpipes that you do. To determine which problem you have, first reove the air housing going to the turbocharger, with the enigne cool. You will see the small wheel inside, wiggle it and see how much play or movement you get. If it's alot of play, your turbo needs a rebuild. If not, it's possible it's just your oil return line. One more thing to consider would be your oil seal in the turbo could have gone out...

Some things to check out.

Oh, and don't worry, we'll help you through this, and if this is your only problem, you're in good shape!

I checked my turbo after reading this and there is no play at all but alot of dirty black oil like residue? What is that?

I guess that is normal another response on here earlier said that it is just crankcase residue from the breather. That it is also normal at first i thought something was wrong but they said it is ok to see that.

so it was just a bubble blocking it?

thats way better than having to rebuild it/ replace the center section.

wish I was that lucky.

I had to get a new slider switch for my hud to get it to work. if you get lucky and its just unplugged then that would be great too. there should be another screw on the passenger side to get the dash off. you have to take out the glove box insert and look up in there for it. it took me awhile to figure this out.. but some may not have it.

but first try sliding the switch back and forth a few times and see if it flashes up there at all

Yeah that bubble must have been it she smokes a little at boost but inconsitently i didn't clean anything yet so must be residue from the oil contamination i hope. What is the best way to clean that intercooler anyways? On the Jefferson swap meet and car corral there was also a Dodge Spirit R/T for $1600! It was pretty clean red on gray cloth i was going to go after it but then my TGP friend got me to go after the TGP since i am a GM guy anyways. I got the TGP for $900 it was at $1500 so i did good. Even at $1500 was decent but the owner thought he was dumping a pile when it was actualy quite simple thanks to all of you guys and your advice i would have never thought it would be the oil return line. Also there is a complete T25 in the trunk and has no play so i wonder if he swapped it thinking it would fix the smoke lol. I want to make the spare into a T28 where is the best place to get a kit to build it? :smirk:

Well, the quality of their products is great, and the prices for the kits are very very good, just don't have them build it for you...do it yourself.

http://www.gpopshop.com

They built mine, and zero complaints, absolutely none...I just overpaid for the service to have it done.