Nick's Rolling TGP Thread

Addicted To Boost

I might take you up on that if I can't make it work now.

I'm still waiting on the ECM, so that is the next thing I need to test on the car.

If that doesn't work, I know of a Turbo STE in a local junkyard, so I might try to get the wiring harness off of that.

good idea!, but if you do want to take me up on my offer just let me know.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• bullet

• Garrett Powered

• krenzy

Nick...if you need a TGP harness...let me know..I have a good one here except the map sensor connecter has been cut. It's an easy solder.

I'd send it to you, it would save you pulling it from the TSTE in the yard.....if it doesn't work.....

My buddy Kyle (Krenzy) sent it to me in the mail a few days ago, I am just waiting for it to arrive so I can try it.

Just for future reference, what kind of wiring do I use to replace my CPS wiring? Where can I get this wiring? I pulled the car out of the garage today and looked at it, and the wiring is still inside its plastic shield, but it may be getting crushed by my alternator bracket in one spot.. Kyle is coming out tomorrow with the ECM, so we'll see where this goes...

Nick,

on my cars the CPS wiring was a self contained wiring harness. Ran directly from the CPS to the ICM. You should be able to pull the harness out directly and if you needed I'm sure you can cut the heads off and solder new wire....I can't imagine there is any special wiring except the copper wire that is in there too?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!

personally, I would cut the old wires and just run new wire along side the main harness temporary, there are only two wire i though, run some speaker wire. If that fixes your problem then make it look pretty and tuck it into your harness, but I wouldn't mess around trying to pull your old wires out.

personally, I would cut the old wires and just run new wire along side the main harness temporary, there are only two wire i though, run some speaker wire. If that fixes your problem then make it look pretty and tuck it into your harness, but I wouldn't mess around trying to pull your old wires out.

:lol: speaker wire....

use 16 gauge wire with EM sheilding, I used it on some of the cars I've worked on and it works great!!

go to any Ace Hardware and fine the electrical wiring spools. they sell the wire by: 15ft, 25ft, 50ft, 100ft, etc.

you'll need about 12 ft of 2 separate colors to do it yourself.

I have the wire I used in my garage right now, if you'd want me to just send you what you'd need let me know, otherwise I'm still up for making you a Brand New wiring harness.

you laugh, i've used it for all sorts of things, a friend got a whole bunch given to him. It works really well for switches and things.

I admitt it's a good thing to do when you have no other choices or you just want to get it over with, but I wouldn't do anything like that to one of my cars, it's either the right way or the car will sit in my garage.

I'm anal about my cars, only the best. either brand new OEM, or Brand New Aftermarket, only thing I'd ever buy used would be the car itself.

you laugh, i've used it for all sorts of things, a friend got a whole bunch given to him. It works really well for switches and things.

I won't lie....speaker wire works great

I won't lie....speaker wire works great

i knew I wasn't the only one

UPDATE

I swapped in a new ECM and that didn't fix it.

So I have a wiring problem. :willynilly:

Where does the CPS wiring go? Does it plug into the left or right side of the ICM? Which plug is it? Looking at my wiring, it runs from the CPS, around the block, and into the main bundle of wiring by the power steering pump.

This car makes me want to :cry:

CPS wiring goes from the CPS directly to the ICM, one of the connectors on the left side when looking at it...I think it's the top connector.

UPDATE

I swapped in a new ECM and that didn't fix it.

So I have a wiring problem. :willynilly:

Where does the CPS wiring go? Does it plug into the left or right side of the ICM? Which plug is it? Looking at my wiring, it runs from the CPS, around the block, and into the main bundle of wiring by the power steering pump.

This car makes me want to :cry:

aww, don't cry Nick.

listen to Bake82 I'm pretty sure he's right with the left side. I'd look at the colors of the wires and and match them to those on the left side of the ICM, you probably already did that but if not that'll get you to where you need to be.

Ok I'm going to try running some wires from the CPS to the ICM then. Does anyone know where I can get the correct plastic connectors for the ICM end and the CPS end? I have a spool of 10 GA wire sitting here I'm going to try to make a run with. Won't be shorting that out anytime soon!

Ok I'm going to try running some wires from the CPS to the ICM then. Does anyone know where I can get the correct plastic connectors for the ICM end and the CPS end? I have a spool of 10 GA wire sitting here I'm going to try to make a run with. Won't be shorting that out anytime soon!

don't know where to get replacement connectors, but you should be able to re-use the old ones.

Ok, so I'm looking at the wiring at the CPS connector, and there is a two-prong plug with two wires down there. I go up to the connector plugging into the ICM and this plug has a 3 prong plug and has two larger wires and one tiny (looks like copper?) wire... What do I do here?? Do I just disregard the small wire and just use two large wires to make this run?

Ok, so I'm looking at the wiring at the CPS connector, and there is a two-prong plug with two wires down there. I go up to the connector plugging into the ICM and this plug has a 3 prong plug and has two larger wires and one tiny (looks like copper?) wire... What do I do here?? Do I just disregard the small wire and just use two large wires to make this run?

I wish my TGP was delivered today so I could look at the area. any chance you could take a pic of it?

I'm pretty sure the smaller wire either is a ground or goes to the ignition module. follow it to see where it goes, I'll be online for the next couple hours so I'll respond quickly if you need the help

UPDATE

As of 4:00 PM, my TGP runs again!!

My neighbor knows a bit about electrical and had some electrical testing equipment, and we traced the problem to the CPS-to-ICM wire harness. We found that the wires had gotten pinched behind my alternator bracket and that was shorting it out. We cut out the bad pieces of wire, soldered in new wires, re-wrapped it, taped it, and put it back in the plastic wire coupler. After that, we put it together and she fired right up.

I finally got to drive the car around today. The motor sounds so much better now, much quieter and runs very smoothly. I still need to put in my new sparkplugs and new O2 sensor, but it is running great nevertheless.

With the new valvetrain parts, I didn't want to get on her too hard until its broken in, but I can already tell it has a LOT more power than before. The most I got on it today was about 1/4 throttle. This is also the first time I have ever heard my turbo spool :eek: Up until now, I had the stock TGP intake on it, and if I was lucky on a nice day, I could hear the turbo at WOT at 7 psi.. I didn't always get to hear the faint whistle :lol: I love the intake noise it has now.. Now I have a K&N X-Stream filter on the turbo, and I have my Gen 1 DSM BOV on there. I can't wait until she's all broken in so I can try it out at full boost and hear that BOV! :twisted:

Whew I'm excited!

The only problem that came up while I was driving it today was that code 14 kept coming up. The coolant temp sensors are plugged in, so maybe I have a bad sensor. I will have to take another look at it tomorrow. I was too excited to drive it to take a look at it today :lol:

Thanks for standing by me with this guys. :cool:

hey like you told me when I first started working on My TSTE, we gotta stick together!!

I knew it was the CPS wires! but yeah the code 14 thing is probably just the sensor. try unplugging your battery for 30 minutes-1hour to reset your computer if it still pops up then bad sensor.

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Fianlly the TGP LIVES!!!! :gears: :cheers:

I know you're a happy camper now...lol