Nick's Rolling TGP Thread

Addicted To Boost

o come on, it should be easy, my tire is turned to the left, his is to the right... that and the other 2 cars in his sig... :P

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• bullet

• Garrett Powered

• krenzy

I want to Chem-dip my throttle body. In order to do so, I need to remove my throttle linkages. How do I remove them?

I want to Chem-dip my throttle body. In order to do so, I need to remove my throttle linkages. How do I remove them?

bump

I did. There are 2 clips. One where the IAC motor goes and there is one on the linkages themselves. What else is holding the linkages on?

There are no clips near the IAC motor.. the IAC isn't even on the same side of the TB as the throttle linkages.

To remove the TB:

2 12 or 13 mm bolts

Heater hose (if applicable)

Unplug vacuum block

Unplug TPS and IAC connectors

Remove clip from pedal throttle cable

Remove clip from cruise control throttle cable

That's it. The throttle linkages come right off after you remove the clips.

I have the TB off of the car right now, and I removed one clip on the linkage.. how many clips are there on the linkage and where are they? I don't see any others.

Thanks

Nick, IIRC, the only cables there are the cruise cable, which is held on by a small clip, and the throttle cable, coming from the TV assembly...which you just yank off...basically slides onto the throttle post.

Guys the throttle body is off of the car. There are no cables attached. I need to just get the linkage on the side of the TB off. Where are the clips on the linkage, and how many are there?

Thanks

I never took the linkage off the tb itself. just clean it up all good with the toluene or whatever and a toothbrush then a little sil-glyde grease in the corners of the throttle plate so it doesnt squeak and to coat the linkage. a thin film heps keep the metal from oxidizing. sil-glyde is good shit.

I wanted to chem-dip the TB, and the can of chem dip says you need to remove anything made of plastic.. the linkages have plastic on them and that is why I wanted to remove them. You think I could just chemdip the whole thing without it wrecking the plastic?

Oh you mean the whole tension assembly.. :shrug: I've never taken that part all the way off. Don't bother with the chem dip on the TB man, just remove the IAC plate on the top and spray the whole thing with a regular degreaser of your choosing (like Fast Orange or whatever it's called). If you're really adamant about it, just dip it in and keep that side of out the dip.

I wanted to chem-dip the TB, and the can of chem dip says you need to remove anything made of plastic.. the linkages have plastic on them and that is why I wanted to remove them. You think I could just chemdip the whole thing without it wrecking the plastic?

I took it off my TSTE, but didn't take any pics. (took all the parts off the TB.

are the clips plastic? cuz I could've sworn that they were mild or stainless steel.

post a pic or 2 of the area cuz I'm drawing a blank.

Meh I just decided to clean it out again with carb cleaner.

I got a bunch of stuff done to it last night since I finally had some free time.

After I chem dipped all the valvetrain parts, I put in my brand new lifters, put in the new lower intake gasket, sealed with GM engine sealant, put in the cleaned pushrods, the 95 3100 rockers, and the cleaned up balls. After I put all the valvetrain together, I put on my lower intake manifold and valve covers with fresh gaskets and the GM sealant.

BTW the chem-dip took off any and all varnish and gunk from all of the valvetrain parts. Everything looks brand new! :high5:

Sometime in the next few days, I will have to put in the fuel rail, injectors, UIM, alt, cooling lines, and the other miscellaneous things to finish it off.

Meh I just decided to clean it out again with carb cleaner.

I got a bunch of stuff done to it last night since I finally had some free time.

After I chem dipped all the valvetrain parts, I put in my brand new lifters, put in the new lower intake gasket, sealed with GM engine sealant, put in the cleaned pushrods, the 95 3100 rockers, and the cleaned up balls. After I put all the valvetrain together, I put on my lower intake manifold and valve covers with fresh gaskets and the GM sealant.

BTW the chem-dip took off any and all varnish and gunk from all of the valvetrain parts. Everything looks brand new! :high5:

Sometime in the next few days, I will have to put in the fuel rail, injectors, UIM, alt, cooling lines, and the other miscellaneous things to finish it off.

are you actually doing a 3100 topswap? or just putting parts in from a 3100?

:burnout:

No, it is still all the OEM TGP parts, but I put in 95 3100 rocker arms and pushrod guide plates, for a little performance boost.

I'm looking to keep this TGP fairly stock for now, since shes in pretty good shape. I have been toying with the idea of 5-speeding it, but then again the 5-speed (my SE) gets old real quick in city driving.. stop and go, stoplights, stopsigns... I will likely keep it the way it is.

As of right now, the only mods to the car are: C302 injectors, Jeff M X-over, K&N on the turbo (tomorrow :smile:), 1.6 rockers, gutted stock cat, KAZ motorsports Hot Tune chip, and a fresh tuneup with every sensor on the engine replaced with all new factory AC Delco parts.

No, it is still all the OEM TGP parts, but I put in 95 3100 rocker arms and pushrod guide plates, for a little performance boost.

I'm looking to keep this TGP fairly stock for now, since shes in pretty good shape. I have been toying with the idea of 5-speeding it, but then again the 5-speed (my SE) gets old real quick in city driving.. stop and go, stoplights, stopsigns... I will likely keep it the way it is.

As of right now, the only mods to the car are: C302 injectors, Jeff M X-over, K&N on the turbo (tomorrow :smile:), 1.6 rockers, gutted stock cat, KAZ motorsports Hot Tune chip, and a fresh tuneup with every sensor on the engine replaced with all new factory AC Delco parts.

or get more reliability and put the 6 speed G6 trans in...it's basically a Getrag with an extra gear...lol

OBD-2 but that can be changed pretty easy.

for now I'd leave it auto until the next winter, so you have a good project to keep you busy. that's what I did with my GTP and the TSTE...except my health made me have time to do that, CURSE YOU MCDONALD FOOD POISONING!!!!!!!

or get more reliability and put the 6 speed G6 trans in...it's basically a Getrag with an extra gear...lol

for now I'd leave it auto until the next winter, so you have a good project to keep you busy. that's what I did with my GTP and the TSTE...except my health made me have time to do that, CURSE YOU MCDONALD FOOD POISONING!!!!!!!

I was going to do the G6 6-speed swap, but I found that the mounts are VERY different, among other things that would require a lot of custom fabrication, which I'm not ready for. I'm just going to keep this an original car with bolt-on parts, so I can go back to full OEM if I would like.

I was going to do the G6 6-speed swap, but I found that the mounts are VERY different, among other things that would require a lot of custom fabrication, which I'm not ready for. I'm just going to keep this an original car with bolt-on parts, so I can go back to full OEM if I would like.

smart choice considering the cleanliness of your TGP :wink: