8" subs in Rear Shelf

Scottster

I was thinking today while driving...listening to thunderstruck with the vol cranked up...about the day that I put my money where my mouth is and fix up the stereo in my car. The bottom line is to keep a factory look...including the head unit (I know, I know...but I HATE custom decks, even if they do sound better)

Now considering that the front seats are the "stage" I would go with 6.5's in the doors to take care of the mid-range/mid-bass, tastfully concealled within the stock speaker enclosures on the doors. I realize that a little custom cutting and moulding would probably be required, but nothing a little OEM speaker cloth couldn't conceal. Beyond that I figure a quality set of 4x6's in the dash could cover the "high's" pretty well.

Which leads me to my question of, could dual 8" subs be mounted in the rear shelf, in place of the 6x9s?

I know a little cutting and reinforcment would be necessary...and I just to clarify I am DEFINETLY a proponet of quality craftmanship and doing things properly...so would the rear shelf be a suitable place to mount small, quick-reacting 8" subs? I'm not looking for massive window shattering bass, just clean and powerful, and don' really want a big box in the trunk.

I would want to do this project properly though too, with quality hardware. Cost is a factor right now, with school taking all of my money. I'm just thinking out loud. How does this sound to you guys?

I used to blast that shit in the early 90s in my beast( 78 lifted blazer with a built 350) and it pounded so hard. I had an 18 inch sub. nobody I know ever ran an 18 before. they are too big for most cars. the box was huge but sounded awesome.

but with that system you described I think you will be very disappointed.

first off you dont need big speakers in the doors to have big sound. just get a morel 3 way component system. its the only way to go for a 90 prix. you can even upgrade to their 50 khz tweeters and put them in the dash and mount the mid/highs in the door pods. and they come with 6s you can slightly modify the back shelf and with a little foam and fiberglass mount them in where the 6x9s go.

then get a boston spg 555 and you only need 1 cubic ft in your trunk and glass that bad boy in there and you will get more bass than almost any 18 inch sub out there.

Wow that's high end stuff. $1700 for the Morel component system, and $700 for the Boston 555 sub! I'm sure the quality is outstanding. I guess I'd better get a good job when I graduate! lol

An 18 inch sub eh? LMAO that thing must have been a sight to see!! The amp that Michael J. Fox plugs into in Back to the future comes to mind...

I just got that boston sub for $399.

and you could go with Focal 3-ways they got them on e-bay too. with the 4 inch mids to just drop right in. well make a plate on the pod and mount it to that.

lol, no Michael J Fox drove a rice truck in that movie. My truck was like 300+ HP. and low geared. It would burn off all 4 tires.

If you really wanted to put subs in the rear deck you could do it. you would need to create a box around the back of the subs and make sure it is completely sealed. you couldn't really use the trunk as the box because the backpressure would burn out the sub. Your best bet if your concerned about cost and space would be to go with a kicker CVR or Cerwin Vega V-max. I sell them both and more on my site for some of the cheapest prices I could possibly offer. If your interested go ahead and check it out in my signature below.

the only problem with doing that is the 16 gauge or whatever steel would flex so much that it would cancel out almost all the sound the speaker would produce in the first place.

not really a good idea if you ask me. all that package shelf is good for is to mount tweeters. but I actually constructed some fiberglass enclosures that sandwich in between the carpet and the steel. but the airspace was best suited for 5 inch woofers so I used some diamond D6 components which suck actually but I plan on upgrading just the woofer to a Morel 5.

Your solution is easy and Ive mentioned it around here a few times before.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

Welcome to Tang Band! That sub right now is on sale for $28 each (you will see it when adding it to your cart). I would jump on that ASAP. These will nicely provide all the bass fill you need. The best part is you dont need a monster sub amp to push them!!! So there again you will save some cash. BTW dont need a box ;)

As for your door speakers, there are many option available. It all boils down to price range. How much do you have to spend?

Garret FFS why would you mention an awesome set of comps to someone keeping a factory head unit. Thats like buying a ferrari with a geo metro engine. My god...

parts express had a morel 5" for like $50 a while back and now they are $125.

I guess they are overpriced as hell now.

you just gotta try to get them on the sale flyer. good luck because they are popular now.

the only problem with doing that is the 16 gauge or whatever steel would flex so much that it would cancel out almost all the sound the speaker would produce in the first place.

I thought that might be an issue. I wouldn't want to vibrate the rear shelf to bits, and break a weld or something (if that's possible).

Your solution is easy and Ive mentioned it around here a few times before.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

Welcome to Tang Band! That sub right now is on sale for $28 each (you will see it when adding it to your cart). I would jump on that ASAP. These will nicely provide all the bass fill you need. The best part is you dont need a monster sub amp to push them!!! So there again you will save some cash. BTW dont need a box ;)

As for your door speakers, there are many option available. It all boils down to price range. How much do you have to spend?

Garret FFS why would you mention an awesome set of comps to someone keeping a factory head unit. Thats like buying a ferrari with a geo metro engine. My god...

Thanks for that info, I didn't know there was an option out there like that. That price is unbeatable!

I am in the trenches at school right now with the semester winding down, so I don't think I'll make a move on this sound system business until the summer months. But thanks for the feedback guys, that clears up some of my thoughts on this project.