1993 3.1L W body recall, with specifics affecting 1993 verts.

Crazy K

Emission Recall of Approximately 400,000 1993 Model Year General Motors 3.1 Liter Vehicles

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced that General Motors (GM) will recall about 400,000 1993 model year 3.1 liter vehicles because they exceed federal standards for carbon monoxide (CO). The recall includes Chevrolet Luminas, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supremes, Cutlass Supreme convertibles, Pontiac Grand Prixs, and Buick Regals (these models are designated by GM as W" body vehicles).

Carbon monoxide (CO) inhibits the blood's capacity to carry oxygen to vital organs and tissue. People with heart disease are especially sensitive to excessive carbon monoxide levels. Infants and others with respiratory problems also are very sensitive.

EPA testing of the vehicles at the Virginia Testing Laboratory (VTL) in Springfield, VA, and the National Vehicles Fuels & Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL) in Ann Arbor, MI,identified the CO excess. Additional testing by EPA's Real-time On-road Vehicle Emissions Reporter (ROVER) system showed that the evaporative system purge solenoid was not functioning properly and that the defective solenoid contributed to the emissions problem. These vehicles have a remote purge control solenoid for the evaporative system, some of which were found to be defective. The Cutlass Supreme convertible vehicles, due to their increased vehicle weight emitted even higher CO emissions.

Subsequent to EPA's testing General Motors agreed to recall the vehicles. Notification of affected vehicle owners began October 26,1998.

The recall repair will be performed free of charge at any GM- Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, or Buick dealership. The labor time needed to complete the service is approximately one hour, however, owners should allow additional time for processing of the vehicle. Upon receipt of a notification letter, owners should schedule an appointment to avoid waiting.

EPA said the repair involves the replacement of the potentially defective purge control solenoid with a new and improved part on all "W" body vehicles, and in addition, the convertible vehicles will also get a revised Programmable Read Only Memory (PROM) chip in the vehicle's computer. The improved PROM chip optimizes the computer's use of controlled parameters to further lower CO emissions for the heavier convertible vehicles.

With this recall the total number of vehicles with emission related compliance problems so far in the 1998 calendar year, which VPCD has investigated, is 2.7 million vehicles. 2.2 million additional vehicles were recalled voluntarily by manufacturers prior to formal EPA investigation.

Owners who require further information on this recall may contact the manufacturer and/or EPA. Written correspondence should include a telephone number where the owner may be reached during normal business hours.

General Motors Customer Assistance Center

Buick: 1-800-521-7300

Chevrolet: 1-800-222-1020

Pontiac: 1-800-762-2737

Oldsmobile: 1-800-442-6537

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Vehicle Programs & Compliance Division

Vehicle Compliance & Programs Group (6405J)

Washington, DC 20460

Attn: Arman Tanman

(202) 564-9240

SO........

I believe my car has been serviced as there are campaign stickers under the hood, and a VIN check reveals no open codes. I should post the PROM chip number/code for records purposes.

Any Ideas on how the PROM programming could have been changed?

here is the prom chip info from my 93, it has a single tag:

CUXP

What was the 1994 3.4 recall campaign? The 1994 has one, the 1994 3.4 'vert I stripped had two stickers...But I haven't seen any on 1994 3.4 coupes and sedans.

What was the 1994 3.4 recall campaign? The 1994 has one, the 1994 3.4 'vert I stripped had two stickers...But I haven't seen any on 1994 3.4 coupes and sedans.

probable defective wiper switch recall.

probable rear brake house contacting swaybar recall.

1995- mid 96 cars would have had a d/s airbag recall.

I updated above with the 93 chip records, and I'll try to find those dealer recalls I have for my 94.