1992 Buick Regal 3800 engine problems

grantgorgen

Ok, first off, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching but could only find threads relevant to 3100's. And since I like this car, I'd like to do this right the first time.

Two years ago my 1992 Buick Regal 3800 started making a noise like death was right around the corner (if it helps I noticed the sound after either going over a rather large speed bump or a large pothole, a bit to fast). Due to various obligations, I'm now getting around to actually doing something about it (Don't worry, it's sitting in a barn, not outside). My friends and I have a general agreement that the problem is either a spun main bearing or a broken con rod (one of them had a similar sound with a completely different car, he ended up throwing a rod through the block of his BMW). We figured out that dropping the oil pan would be the easiest way to tell if it was the con rod or not. But as everyone here is probably well aware, there's a fundamental problem with that. I can't get the oil pan off due to part of the frame blocking the pan (some say that piece can be removed but I couldn't see how when I was under the car). I've heard something about rotating the engine to get to these few bolts, however I'm uncertain of how this is accomplished properly. I have an engine hoist that can more than handle the job, I would just like some guidance on how I can either accomplish an engine pull, or the next easiest way of solving my car troubles. I can acquire a donor '92 Toronado for a replacement engine, however I'd like to get this engine working and and not sacrifice another car.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this, and more thanks to anyone who can provide informational assistance. But most of all, loads of beer to the ones that will come to Wisconsin and help me out.

-Grant

It's more than likely a bad harmonic balancer and nothing else :lol:

With the engine off, grab the serp belt and see if it will move... or just grab like the p/s pump pulley and try to rotate it... If it rotates with the belt on, then look at the harmonic balancer while you do it, notice something interesting??? The harmonic balancer is 2-peice that is isolated from one another with crappy rubber that wears out and the two peices spin and hit the stops, making a noise identical to the sounds of a severe rod knock.

Since I've recently started getting into cars, I don't know much yet. Can ya point me in the direction of the harmonic balancer? I'll be sure to check it out today after class.

However, I'm reminded of when this first happened. My father took the car to a shop while I was in class, and they said it was something in the engine, and the job would take $2,000 to do. Driving it home was the worst, it made it back, but it cut out when trying to put it in reverse. So my father decided to give me the car as a graduation present, on the condition that I fix it myself. So here I am, trying to do just that.

The harmonic balancer is the giant thingy attached to the end of the crank that drives the serpentine belt. It's essentially the crank pully.... Very very very very common problem on the 3800 and 3300 engines... I have replace about 6 of them, and seen about 20 or so cars with the engine at junkyards with bad harmonic balancers and when asked, the guys at the junkyard say it was brought in with rod knock...

If it doesnt spin it means theres nothing wrong with it and your problem is else where.

We need more info than just moise of death... what does this mean in your terms? Whats the noise? any vibrations? wheres it coming from in the engine bay? The more information you give us the better we can help out.

Can you take a quick video of it? I've seen guys do that before and it really helps the forum members determine what the sound is and where it is coming from.

Has this car been oil changed at the proper intervals? Doesn't sound good if the car basically quit on you. You can at least change the oil out to see if there is any metal in the pan.