Why would my dash lights/dis stay on?

Bake82

Hey Guys,

I swapped a UB3 cluster and DIS into my car last summer when I did my interior swap. There was no issues last year with this.

I am having issues where the DIS is staying on with the error message "low fuel" I am low on fuel, so the msg isn't an issue to me, but WHY is it on when the ignition is not turned on? I have pulled the plug on the DIS right now, until I can figure it out.

Also when I have the keys in my hand, the "charge" light stays on, and sometimes the SES, and low coolant will stay on, with the ignition not on. The rest of the dash is not one, only those lights. the "charge" light is ALWAYS on with the car off, the other two come and go.

Anybody have ANY ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

sounds lie a bad ignition switch to me. Or a very bad short. Try to find anything else that stays on with the key off. also with the DIS unplugged does it do it. sometimes when a device goes bad the memory will short to the switched source and you know the rest lol

sounds lie a bad ignition switch to me. Or a very bad short. Try to find anything else that stays on with the key off. also with the DIS unplugged does it do it. sometimes when a device goes bad the memory will short to the switched source and you know the rest lol

Now that you mention, the hud switch, light in the middle of the slider stays on, too. As well as the little light in the headlight switch.

What would be involved in changing the ignition switch?

well. you have a cutlass IIRC. Take apart the steering column, the underside of the dash, and look for the big harness withthe black plug that has a screw in the middle. Follow it up to the column and change it out :mrgreen:

Interesting

yah this has me stumped...unfortunetly I haven't been able to look at the car, as it's been in the garage all week getting the finishing touches. However it's now snowing like a bastard so it looks like the only place this car is going to is into my garage, under the car cover for the next 5-6 months. I'll wake it up in April/May and tackle the issues then!

Thanks for the how to on the ignition switch replacement!

I Look Forward To An Update Next Year Lol

LOL

Well when i get the car home, I might try pulling a few fuses to see if I can get the lights to go out, and then look for shorts/etc. We'll see I guess. But if I don't get to it this year, just for you Adam, I'll give you an update! LOL

So I was fooling around with my old harness trying to figure out where a connector goes and I am DAMN sure I found my problem. The little grey connector near the ECM connects into the Alternator(this signals the charge light) and then the other one goes to the larger black connector which conects to the ignition fuse in the main underhood fuse panel.

The reason this happened is because the harness I used for injectors, MAP IAT etc was from the 92. These connections are different between the 88 and 92.

I haven't been able to fuck around with the wiring yet, but I'm pretty sure this is what is causing my issues. Related, but not entirely.