Random electrical problems

Addicted2bass

When i bought my TGP back in june the drivers side power lock didnt work and the dome light wouldnt come on with the drivers door open, but it would with the passenger. Now in the last few weeks other stuff has stopped working. First the pass side power lock then the power antenna. Now all the power to the seats stopped working. Lumbar and the power adjustments. Also the door speakers stopped working. I can hear the relays for the lumbar clicking also i can hear the lock relays clicking.

I checked all my fuses. The only one that is blown is a big 50A one under the hood. It appears to be for the blower motor or the fan. I dont even see the seat control fuse listed in the manual (i dont have a tgp one tho). Any ideas?

Replace the big relay and see what happens. Does the power antenna work at all? Does it move up a little bit, or not at all.... did it go all the way up before? Does it make any kind of noise now? If it is completely dead, check on the right side in the trunk.. make sure the power source going into the power antenna is securely plugged in, as well as the ground.

Shit, when it comes to electrical it could be a variety of things... that's what sucks about it, but ya, I would check any and all connections to the above mentioned problems. I know in my 91, I had a problem with the dome light, and it turned out to be the light control unit that was messed up. But you have a ton of problems going on, maybe check under the hood and make sure all the connections are good there on your harnesses.

most of my electrical problems left when I got a sound charging system. I took off all major grounds under the hood and either cleaned the crap out of them (with sand paper)or replaced them. always with something better.

I also ran a new charge wire from the alt to the charge post(4 gauge at least). and took off the factory charge wire and heat shrinked the end.

then all the stuff started working again. Its real hard on electronics so get it fixed quick or more major stuff can go wrong like FUEL PUMP! :lol:good luck.

Turns out that 50A fuse under the hood controls the power seats and power locks. i replaced that and all my seat positions work, my pass side power lock works to. Im assuming that the drives side is either a bad accuator or a bad switch. The door speakers not working may be a problem in the "performance sound" switch or maybe a wire or two came loose where the radio harness is wired in. As for the power antenna i could care less about that, it stopped working when it was up so i just pushed it down cuz i hate the way the antenna looks up. I never listen to the radio anyway. Ill prolly wait till we have a slow day at work and pull it into the shop to investigate further lol.

I dont mess with stock stereos so dont know how to help ya there

you can get a fixed antenna or just weld that hole shut. I welded both cars shut. too much drag :wink:

I can offer a suggestion about the radio. This may seem dumb, but it all depends on who the previous owner was. Some people disconnect the door speakers due to an irritating problem...let me try my best to describe it. When you turn your radio up too loud, your speakers begin to cut out, and main thought is "too many outputs/speakers". Well, the best way to eliminate this problem, to some, is disconnecting a speaker or two; for me, I ran the rear speakers through an aftermarket amp, disconnected the stock amp, and the stereo does fine now.

I was having that problem in BOTH TGP's I've owned, and most places will offer the cheap solution of clipping speakers. Check it out, that may be it!

The antenna is working again to with the replaced fuse. Im prolly going to diconnect it tho, i hate th way it looks when its up. Wiring six speakers up to a 4 channel HU (its a Pioneer 5800) is never a really good idea. I usually run a 6.5" comp set in the front doors of my cars running off a amp. But this car had brand new kenwood 4x6s in the dash (which kinda suck and will prolly be replaced) and Pioneer 6x9s in the back. Im not sure if the door speakers were replaced but they sounded pretty good when they were workin.