HOW TO REMOVE THE CUTLASS SUPREME CONVERTIBLE ROLL-BAR - PACE CAR

alipendier

I am trying to get my 94 Convertible Cutlass Supreme to look like the 1988 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Pace Car with the REMOVABLE ROLL-BAR. The problem is obviously not in cutting the bar off the car, my main hurdle is how to handle the window tracks and the 4 inch gap left between the front & rear windows from removing the bar, hopefully I can get some productive ways to get this done. The pictures of the VERY RARE! Pace car is here on the forum:

http://www.w-body.com/gallery/firstgenrare.html

:question:

I am actually looking into making the roll bar removable on my car. It won't be easy but I am well on my way in the planning stages. In fact, the moderator of this forum and I were scratchin our heads on this just last Friday.

I don't wanna give away everything I have lined up for my car but this is on the "perhaps" list.

-Sean

I was under the impression that the roll bar added much needed structural support. Wouldn't making this detachable defeat that purpose? I'm no physics expert, but I'd imagine that reducing the surface area of the bracing (the bar is either welded on or part of the body) by making it removable would be detrimental to the car's stability, I would imagine.

Again, I'm not a physics professor, I might be talking out of my ass.

I was under the impression that the roll bar added much needed structural support. Wouldn't making this detachable defeat that purpose? I'm no physics expert, but I'd imagine that reducing the surface area of the bracing (the bar is either welded on or part of the body) by making it removable would be detrimental to the car's stability, I would imagine.

Again, I'm not a physics professor, I might be talking out of my ass.

I don't know the mathmatical answer either but the roll bar itself is somewhat flimsy. I am sure it does add to the structural support of the car but I doubt it would cause any huge problems with it gone.

As for myself, I would never just cut and pray, I am going to further research this before I even attempt to cut anything the least bit structural.

-Sean

damn. I hadn't brought up the strutural issue, but I know slamdit would weld in reinforcements to strengthen the body.

You should also note that the bar is specifically NOT a roll bar, but it is structural and integral into the car.

to remove the bar you would need a total custom window mechanisms, with modified glass, both for the door, and the quarter glass. Both use existing channels in the B pillar to operate.

you would also have to do something about deleting the door handle!

John, just think of it as a strut bar or a sway bar. A big sway bar.

All the afor-mentioned equipment has been removed from my car and it is still holding up ok. I would at least weld in some sort of sub frame connector before removing the roll bar. Not that you would have to but some reinforcing would be good.

Overall these cars are built pretty well though, I can almost pull a standing 3 wheel with my car and while I don't do it except for a rare occasion, the car doesn't wanna flex or anything. Again, I have only done it a time or 2 but so far it has held up well. In fact, I would go on to say that with the quickness of my air ride, my car takes a good beating and lives through it with no trouble. Just ask Ken about how fast it drops, he hit the switches last weekend!

-Sean

I am trying to get my 94 Convertible Cutlass Supreme to look like the 1988 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Pace Car with the REMOVABLE ROLL-BAR. The problem is obviously not in cutting the bar off the car, my main hurdle is how to handle the window tracks and the 4 inch gap left between the front & rear windows from removing the bar, hopefully I can get some productive ways to get this done. The pictures of the VERY RARE! Pace car is here on the forum:

http://www.w-body.com/gallery/firstgenrare.html

:question:

Along with everything else, you must remember that the pace car did not have windows nor a top at all.

damn. I hadn't brought up the strutural issue, but I know slamdit would weld in reinforcements to strengthen the body.

You should also note that the bar is specifically NOT a roll bar, but it is structural and integral into the car.

to remove the bar you would need a total custom window mechanisms, with modified glass, both for the door, and the quarter glass. Both use existing channels in the B pillar to operate.

you would also have to do something about deleting the door handle!

I actually met a woman in Florida who owns a 95 CS vert that is already PACE CAR modified and it looks perfect and she doesn't have any structural issues, the only problem is that she got the car off her divorce settlement and she has no clue how the B-Pillar was removed. The main issue I think on this project is how to get the modified windows or to find the glass from another car (maybe BMW or Saab verts) that can work so you can modify the roof to go with it. I was looking into the 91-94 Pontiac Sunbird convertibles (they don't have the B-Pillars) which are similar to the Cutlass Supremes but they are slightly smaller and the windows can not interchange.

• 4 years later...