New Struts/Plates...Same old clunk...UPDATE:SOLVED!

Scottster

After having the front struts replaced today, along with the lower spring seats (with the bearings in them), I can say I see no improvement whatsoever in the car.

Prior to the work, I had a whole-lotta-clunkin' goin on. I knew the struts were shot, and I figured the bearing plates should be switched out too. The steering was high-effort, and the plates were decomposing with rust.

I picked up some Monroe Sensa-tracs, the bearing plates, and the 'mounting kit' for $180 bucks at some parts place in Troy, and thought I had the stuff to make everything tight again.

Long story short...The damn car still has all the syptoms I just described. The front end still clunks as you go down the road, you can feel it in the floor at your feet. And, the steering is still high effort. I feel like the only thing I got out of the work was clean oil!

I fondly remember my moms old 95 Caddy STS with the same suspension clunking issues, and swaybar bushings were the answer. Could that be the key here too?

I was thinking about replacing them along with everything else, and now I wish I would of, just to be sure.

Can anyone shed some light on what I should be looking for?

Up until my recent discovery, I was in the exact same boat. I would get odd clunks over the slightest bumps. While I still haven't got it all back together, I'm willing to put money on the fact that it was my lateral control arms. The inner bearing was spinning freely inside the stamped arm, and I had a full 15 degrees of free movement when I disconnected it from the knuckle.

Check yours out, give them a good shake, they shouldn't move much at all. Replacing them's never a bad idea, though it's somewhat of a large job. An ideal time to install some coilovers :wink:

Woops! I completely missed the fact that you were talking about the front end. :redface:

Clunking up front is usually a result of ball joints going bad. If not, I've also heard of swaybar bushings being the culprit.

Easiest way to check of course is to shake the wheel with the front end raised off the ground. There should be virtually no free play at all.

i had a clunk in the front end for a while found out that it was missing cradle mount bushing it only clunked in a turn im not saying this is your problem but look at the bushings see what shape they are in

Check to make sure that the strut retaining nut is on tight. If thats loose itll make an awful noise. Ive noticed that most techs will just take an air gun to it, weather its tight or not. They also seem to leave out that shim for some odd reason...

Ok sweet, thanks for the tips guys, I'll have the bolts checked. Those bushings are cheap as hell to, so I'll be at no loss replacing them.

I have a hard time believing the work was done poorly though, as my mechanic is one of the best, experienced, and carefull old timers out there. I had the whole car gone over too. Oil change, grease job, fluids, etc. He always shakes the wheels to check for play, so I'm sure the ball joints are fine.

if its the bushing for the cradel then your mechanic didnt look over everything as good as you think he did. it is very easy to tell if the bushing is going. either way good luck

Could you guys elaborate on the cradel bushings. I'm not sure what/where they are. Are they the point where the sub-frame mounts to the body?

I'm just not familiar with them.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing too, is that there is a "supposed" recall on the monroe sensa-trac struts and shocks. I had my rear ones done and they clunk like hell. I just have to get the time to take them out and take them back. :lol:

check ur damn cradle mounts i bet it is that dont take it in for swaybar bushings..

cradle mounts is where subframe is conected to the car take pics and post them here asap

I made arangments to have the car worked on next week, so I'll post back with the findings, and pics if I can. I wouldn't be suprised if all the rubbers are shot...both sway and cradle bushings, but we'll see.

Thanks for the tips guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the car in today, and we went over the cradle and sway bar busings. The cradles were fine, but the outer sway bar rubbers were beat right up. Totally shot.

Replaced them with some new rubber ones (I considered polyurethane, but these were more readily available)

As soon as I pulled out of the garage I could feel a difference! Or rather NOT feel anything, as the car is rock solid now. Going over railroad tracks, rough pavement, you name it...no clunks or noise of any sort!

I am SOOOOOoooooooooo relieved to have this issue resolved! The car is such a pleasure to drive now. Despite the shatty weather, I feel on top of the world right now!

Yay! No more noise!

Hmmm, I wonder if thats my problem. Come with my for a ride in my car at the meet and we'll see if it felt the same as your car. But awesome news!

Sure, I'm down.

Hmmm, I wonder if thats my problem. Come with my for a ride in my car at the meet and we'll see if it felt the same as your car. But awesome news!

Sure, I'm down.

:high5:

I got the car in today, and we went over the cradle and sway bar busings. The cradles were fine, but the outer sway bar rubbers were beat right up. Totally shot.

Replaced them with some new rubber ones (I considered polyurethane, but these were more readily available)

As soon as I pulled out of the garage I could feel a difference! Or rather NOT feel anything, as the car is rock solid now. Going over railroad tracks, rough pavement, you name it...no clunks or noise of any sort!

I am SOOOOOoooooooooo relieved to have this issue resolved! The car is such a pleasure to drive now. Despite the shatty weather, I feel on top of the world right now!

Yay! No more noise!

What was the noise you heard because I have a noise that sounds rubberish but I think its my Struts and mounts going as well as one of my struts has a crack in it.

Did you have rubber left at all because if I look I can see the black rubber that its resting on.