Bad news on the Cutlass w/pics UPDATE: Subject is Brakes

19Cutlass94

Well on friday, someone decided that they wanted to turn in front of me while Im driving down the road. Yeah well needless to say I tried to avoid what happened, but I didnt. So the Cutlass has been damaged. Pretty good I might add. Its not really looking very good at this point. The list of parts I need is up there. The Olds/Caddy dealer did a quick estimate of $3,5xx.xx. Although they have to use certified parts, why, ity beyond me. But anyways I can fix it for about $1,000.xx. Anyways, the list of damage is basically this, Ill need a new hood, new pass. fender, new light assemblies, passenger and driver sides, new bumper, new radiator, new condensor, new hood latch, new cowl, maybe a new driver fender ( might be able to bend the hinge back into place ) new windshield, basically every plastice piece that goes up front.

yeah its not looking good, but atleast it was his fault. Not mine. Which means itll either get fixed for free, I wont pay a dime, or itll get totaled. If it gets totalled, Ill be forced to take it off the road, get another car, and fix it. Honestly, I dont know what one would be better for me. But I know the easiest would to be for them to fix it. But right now, Im waiting for the insurance company to get back to me. Hopefully itll be soon because I really dont wanna wait very long. But either way this really sucks for this tp happen right now. I just bought over $1,000 in new suspension parts for it. But owell, its just metal, and no one got hurt. The car can be fixed/replaced.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• AWeb80

• Euro

• 97loudcut

Looking at the cars value, listed in excelent condition, it values out at 3855 on kbb.com. Sounds like they are going to total it. Doesnt New York brand their titles after a total loss?

On the title, it was say salvaged or something to that effect. And also branding, in some states, means it can never be put back on the road in that state. I know Florida is like this, and I thought so was New York.

The guy at the dealer told me that the salvage title only goes on cars '96 and newer. So mine would be too old. And no, the car can be put back on the road. Ive known many people that have done it.

damn :( was a nice car. You need to go to allentown, Pa for your parts bro, fuck your local yard. Harry's U pullit is the bomb!

I'd see if they would give you the max amount without branding your car salvaged.

and I'm in the area. wanna go and meet in allentown and stick a new front on your car?

We'd better car Skalor and see what parts are availible!

See heres the thing,

New York's Department of Motor Vehicles must brand the title of a vehicle eight years old or newer that the owner certifies was either destroyed or received damage worth 75% of its retail value

My car is older, so really, it wouldnt get branded. Im on the nys dmv website trying to find out about the older cars, and it doesn say anything about them. Just 8yrs old and newer.

This leads us to the other side of the salvage issue: Not all vehicles that have been declared salvage are worthless, and in many cases they may be repaired and put back on the road with no ill consequences. There are cases where damage that was too expensive for the insurance company was relatively minor or even cosmetic―such as a car caught in an epic hailstorm. This is where a rebuilt salvage title comes in. As long as it passes New York's normal safety and emissions inspections, you're good to go.

I basically fall under this..... well kinda

I know Florida is like this, and I thought so was New York.

I think my car had a salvage title, and it's from florida :dunno: Ill pull up my carfax later and check, maybe that was a different car ive had

damn :( was a nice car. You need to go to allentown, Pa for your parts bro, fuck your local yard. Harry's U pullit is the bomb!

I'd see if they would give you the max amount without branding your car salvaged.

and I'm in the area. wanna go and meet in allentown and stick a new front on your car?

Right now Im waiting to hear what the insurance will say, but if it does happen to get totalled, your more than welcome to come up and help! So far its only me and John that would work on it. The more help the better! But then again, I still gotta wait and see what happens...

Right now Im waiting to hear what the insurance will say, but if it does happen to get totalled, your more than welcome to come up and help! So far its only me and John that would work on it. The more help the better! But then again, I still gotta wait and see what happens...

keep me posted. I will be in Newark NJ area for two more weeks (yuck!)

Jay,

So sorry to hear about the car, but I'm glad noone was hurt. I'd love to offer my help as well, but I'll be moving back to Missouri in about a week, so I'm kind of out of the picture up here. :(

If you still needs parts though, there are some nice yards in the STL area that I'd be happy to check for you. :)

Just make sure you keep emotions out of this. If it makes sense to fix the car given the settlement, then do it, but it might be better to take the money in run. You might be attached to the car, but it IS just a car, and there are THOUSANDS of cars just like yours out there, one just waiting for a guy like you to take care of it.

The catch is it is often hard to find your car the same way it was for the cash they give you. But, fix it yourself and you're stuck with a car that will probably never be the same again and good chances you'll be chasing problems the rest of the car's life.

The thing is, its all cosmetic damage. I can get all the parts I need, so I see no reason why I shouldnt be able to fix it, and I see no reason why I would be having problems down the road... The hardest part to fix it would be the light assemblies, and that hard plastic in the front. Other than that, its very easy to fix. Itll just take time.

And Im sorry, but Im really stubborn about this car. Ill keep it no matter what. I dont want another Oldsmobile Cutlass, I want my Oldsmobile Cutlass.

get some pics up man...or else i'll just see it this weekend. she will return!

More than likely youll see it this weekend, unless the insurance company wants to take forever...

And Im sorry, but Im really stubborn about this car. Ill keep it no matter what. I dont want another Oldsmobile Cutlass, I want my Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Haha ... you sooooooooooooooooo sound like me with my 88' way back. You can do eeeeet!

Haha ... you sooooooooooooooooo sound like me with my 88' way back. You can do eeeeet!

:lol: Well I mean its not like it cant be fixed!