'89 Regal - instrument cluster

CortxVortx

This has been a problem for nearly two years: The instrument cluster has gone haywire.

The LED speedometer blinks, fades, flickers, goes out, comes back on. (Not much problem for me -- I can tell my speed by the feel of the car -- but my son doesn't have that experience.)

The fuel gauge needle wanders back and forth.

The odometer sticks, whirs forwards, whirs backwards, works for a while, repeat.

And I'm not sure that all the idiot lights work.

I've taken the instrument cluster out before -- almost. There was a cable (odometer, I suppose) that I couldn't figure out how to unhook (the Haynes manual overlooked this detail).

Is there some way to repair this thing, or should I haunt the parts yards for a replacement. And how do I detach that cable?

you have the regal right? Column shifter? That cable controls the gear indicator...on mine it was 2 5.5mm screws on the bottom/underside of the cluster to remove the indicator (might have to pull the cluster up with some force to see it) As to repairing it, you'll have to resolder many points on the circuit board, which takes a lot of patience and a steady hand, so if you don't want to do this, just get another one and take a chance...

Regal with column shift -- that's the beast.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but my son can't run the car without the cluster, so I suppose I'll hunt for a replacement, then play with the original.

I'll check the Haynes manual for information about voltages.

Thanks for the information on the cable.