Everyones W-body winter woes

rockfangd

Hi everyone. I posted this thread to find out exactly what kind of problems people have with their cars in the cold seasons. To start it wll mine has done a few whacky things today such as my security light staying on yesterday morning and on the same evening my gas gauge pegged way past full even though i only have half a tank of gas, then it slowly went back down where it belongs. Any other flukes would be perfect to post on this one :mrgreen:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rockfangd

• warwgn3

• Euro

• Addicted2bass

I have the usual cold weather problems. But i think mine are somewhat severe (i dont think "somewhat severe" is proper grammar, but oh well.)

My heat pretty much doesnt work, my car has a hard time starting. The colder it gets, the harder it is to start. It still runs well, but its kinda hard to drive when my feet are frozen and i'm wearing gloves.

cold + plastic interior pieces = teh noisy ride

everything creaks and rattles on rough side roads, not too bad on main roads

my suspension is really rough in the winter especially on side roads

(think i need my shaft lubed again :lol: )

My computer controlled HVAC draws my alternator down and makes my headlights dim while driving, my power steering pumps fluid is much more viscous and the magnasteer is virtually non existent. A cold draft always comes in through my inner door handles only on the drivers side. The lifters in the LX-5 sound like a tapdancer just used crack and is now giving the show of his life on my hood. Sometimes the solenoids on my power locks don't pull the lock forward far enough and the locks get literally locked in place. Because my spoiler leaks water and holds the snow in place on my decklid the rear window always fogs up and the rear defroster is never strong enough to evaporate the water vapor. The windows always get stuck (frozen) in place One day when it was cold I decided i wanted to use the 4 way flashers and the two piece lighted button just decided to seperate and now all you can see at night is a white light behind it and the red inaly laying inside the switch.

Thats all I cant think of at the moment.

My car has a hard time starting, but that's probably because it's in serious need of a tune up, and not the cold weather.

My car also has a tendency to spin its wheels or skid out on starting/stopping, whenever it snows, even lightly. That can be attributed to mis-matched all-season tires that are so worn out, they're balder than my Dad. I'm bugging my brother to use his connections to get me a new set.

89 Cutlass:

Driver's door won't completely unlock on the 1st try via keyless, sometimes not even on the 2nd press so have to use the key. Won't upshift into 3rd for the first 30-seconds of driving if it's been sitting at my work parking lot in <20-degree weather.

94 Cutlass:

No problems that I'm aware of.

Door locks sticky on pass side, drivers door works perfectly. Major squeaks if it's really cold, but other than that it's the perfect winter car, hit the remote start, the auto climate control takes over and it's just right by the time you get out there.

Sunday nite it kept stalling on me. It would fire right back up id hit the gas thinking gas starting to freeze. It would rev and go back to idle then spuder till it died. Then i had someone go buy me some heat. pored that in a little over a 1/4 tamk not prob sence. Doors tend to freeze shut every now and then. suspention squecks more.

The constant rain and crap all over the road that requires me to keep an ugly ass bra on the front of my Z to keep it from getting sand blasted on the freeway heading to work. That and my brakes arent the greatest at working that first second when they are wet. Bring the nice sunny, windows down weather!

Looking at having the 3M ClearBra applied to the front of my car in the spring. About $300 to have it done. but WTH eh?

my brakes arent the greatest at working that first second when they are wet.

really? whenever mine are wet after going thru a car wash, or after sitting after a snowstorm...they're touchy and tight as hell.

my brakes arent the greatest at working that first second when they are wet.

really? whenever mine are wet after going thru a car wash, or after sitting after a snowstorm...they're touchy and tight as hell.

exactly what ive noticed on the truck lately

well i gotta say that my doors and locks never freeze and they open and shut like they are brand new, thanks to a little bit of monthly maintnence. i wonder if its possible to get a block heater for my 3100 :mrgreen:. thank god mine is garage parked every night. no scratchin the car with the snowbrush. (DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BRUSH OFF THE LUGGAGE RACK. !!!!!!!!!!!!) LOL

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

My computer controlled HVAC draws my alternator down and makes my headlights dim while driving, Sometimes the solenoids on my power locks don't pull the lock forward far enough and the locks get literally locked in place. The windows always get stuck (frozen) in place

Same for me. But the lock thing doesn't happen very often. Oh and my HVAC blower fan squeals sometimes, and it's insanely loud and annoying

The lifters in the LX-5 sound like a tapdancer just used crack and is now giving the show of his life on my hood.

Sorry, but I thought that was funny :lol: