Turbo oil seal question

backyardpb

Fellas, I believe I have oil seal problem on my hands but I am not sure as I have never had to deal with this before.

My beretta with my fully rebuilt 3.1tgp engine is smoking like no other. It used to be just a huge puff of smoke when at stop and idling, which has now progressed into starting it....letting it idle for a min then here comes the smoke and lots of it.....Worsens when driving then coming to a stoplight....after driving it for a while it doesnt tend to smoke as much but will puff a considerable amount when at a stop.

I have checked and replaced the oil return hose.

I thought that i may have fried my rings because i will admit I have been a little hard on it for a fresh rebuild. :redface: I cant help it......hearing the turbo and blow off valve with a combination of tires spinning on pavement gets me off. i have only redlined maby once or twice.

I have removed spark plugs and inspected for oil deposits...they look good....a little black from burning rich but no heavy oil deposits.

While the plugs were out I checked my compression. I had 135 across.

I have not yet performed a leak down test on the cylinders but i can still push 9psi of boost with no problem, wouldnt I see a boost lost if my rings were fried? I believe I would also see some abnormal actvity on my vaccum guage if my rings were fried.

Know here is my real question. there is a pretty good amount of play on the turbine of the turbo.........more then what it used to have. When the oil seal in the turbo goes bad does the engine

ingest the oil and burn itor is oil just getting thrown into the exhaust which creates smoke. I removed the upper rubber portion on my turbo plumbing and inspected for oil. there is no oil in the pumbing.

(I know im burning oil.....its very thick and white. smells horrible. yes I know oil burns blue....but it can also burn white when not mixed with gas and is burning in large amounts.)

Do not insist that im burning coolant....im not

Let me know guys, thanks

good job man you got it running. now git yoself a turbo, break in the motor properly and do some burn outs. its not the rings....

Im going to rebuild my turbo.

Has any one had a turbo seal go out.....what are the symptoms???

Yeah, they leak oil...into the compressor or turbine...so you either get tons of oil burning out the exhaust, or have your intake pipes coated in oil.....

Guest TurboSedan

sounds like the TGP turbo in my Cutlass is doing exactly what yours is doing only not quite so bad. it only smokes at idle, and it's white (smells like oil to me). if i start driving the car it stops smoking immediately. no smoke at all when driving or WOT. no turbo shaft play. no oil leaking from the compressor side into the intercooler pipes. all the plugs look good every time i've checked them. i put a new ATPturbo.com silicone oil drain hose in and that didn't help any.

i think mine is a bad turbo oil seal as well. from what i can tell oil is leaking out the turbine side into the downpipe and burning off. i just bought a good used TGP turbo to replace it (just got it tonight :) ). so hopefully that fixes it. it's rather annoying/embarrasing when i'm sitting at a stoplight or a fastfood drivethru.

it's rather annoying/embarrasing when i'm sitting at a stoplight or a fastfood drivethru.

HAHAHA.....I Fuking hate that...............................drive thrus are the worst.