Intlcutlass

Hey, as they say, practice makes perfect. Don't worry about the runs and such, it's all repairable with a little wetsanding. Glad to hear that most everything else went good for you, and sounds like you did a good amount of prep work, which does make or break a car. I bet with a little bit of touchup, it will look great. Just keep at it, and you'll do fine!

I was really upset with it, when it happened.... But then after a little rest, I realized that it's not like I have to take it down to metal again... I did a HUGE amount of work, and just because I didn't get it done in the timeframe I wanted to... I actually did pretty good for my first complete strip, and repaint.

One thing to note here is rust. There were about 5 spots on the car where the paint had NOT bubbled, but when I sanded, there was tiny little rust spots... about 3mm in size. I thought that was kinda strange. But after a quick hit with my die grinder with a sanding pad, they came right out. And with epoxy primer over them... I don't think they will be coming back....

I did NOT estimate enough time for stripping the car...or blocksanding.

This whole process took SO long that I was in fact installing mirrors and headlight last noght so I could drive it....Right now, I don't even have inner door panels in!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intlcutlass

• slick

• J

• GnatGoSplat

Ah... don't you just love sanding LOL!

Oh yea.... I Fuckn love it....My arms feel like oatmeal....I bet by next week, my hands will be strong enough to crush rock.

Ah... don't you just love sanding LOL!

Oh yea.... I Fuckn love it....My arms feel like oatmeal....I bet by next week, my hands will be strong enough to crush rock.

LOL!!!

hey at least u can say u did it! keep ur head up and stick with it. Like chris said sanding will take out all the rins and drips and sags, just take your time. Good luck!

Thanks man....

As it sits right no, I have NO silver on the bumpers, or ground effects on the car yet, because I have to wetsand it (400-600 grit) , re-apply the base---hopefully without making more runs or sags, THEN I get to clear coat it.

I just got your 4 emails full of pictures!!

LOL, this is gonna take a little while, but I will try to get them posted up by 5(when I leave work).

Thanks man. :-*

Ok, so I finally got them all downloaded to my work computer, and I am working on uploading them onto Photobucket right now.

EDIT: This work computer is too slow and too old to upload mass quantities of photos at a time. I'm going to put them all in a zip file and email them to myself and upload them on a much better computer tonight.

Great job man. :cool: I can't imagine how good it must feel. I'm stuck in the "rust repair" stage right now, but in the next few weeks I'm gonna catch up to you! Thanks for the much needed inspiration and I can't wait to see your finished product. DIY painting rocks :rocking:

Yeah, you should easily be able to fix the runs, especially if you only have the base coat on.

Where did you get your block sander from? I haven't really looked, but the only ones I've ever seen are no more than 5-6" long, and 2-3" wide.

I'll feel a lot better about it once it's done, but thanks...

I started wetsanding the decklid yesterday, so that I can re-shoot it soon.

The best thing about what I have done, is just knowing whats under my paint. (epoxy & POR-15 on the lower sections).... I won't be seeing rust for a while (if ever). The blocksanding, and filling in low spots was VERY rewarding. It's hard to tell from the photos there, but when you look down the side of the panel, it's nice and straight.

The stripping and filling and blocksanding was the hardest part. Once I get the Base coat correct, I'm home free. No matter how much orange peal or runs you get in your clear, it can (and should) always be wetsanded then polished.

Yeah, you should easily be able to fix the runs, especially if you only have the base coat on.

Where did you get your block sander from? I haven't really looked, but the only ones I've ever seen are no more than 5-6" long, and 2-3" wide.

Ebay "Durablocks" $40 gets you a set of them, and the largest is 11-12" long and 3" wide.... Thats all you need.

How do you like that Rage Gold stuff? I always hear people raving about it. How easily it sands without clogging up the sandpaper, how well it bonds, drying time, etc...

Which epoxy stuff did you get?

How do you like that Rage Gold stuff? I always hear people raving about it. How easily it sands without clogging up the sandpaper, how well it bonds, drying time, etc...

Which epoxy stuff did you get?

Rage gold.... GREAT STUFF, though a little $$... Worth it for sure. I have come to learn, that this stuff will not shrink when done right. When other talk about "shrinkadge" they don't really know it, but they are ususally thinking of the high build primers.... Those tend to shrink a little, but by and large, any product that needs a catalyst or a hardener to cure, does not shrink much, if at all.

Epoxy--- I used Kirker Enduro? Epoxy. It's REALLY thick out of the can, but once mixed has the consistancy of milk. In the pics, it's that flat black stuff, really great stuff. Some have been debating if it's better to put it on directly over the metal, or to do your body filler first... I did body filler first, because I knew there would be more corrections needed to the lined of the body, and the black primer helped me to see those flaws.

It's funny--- EVERY layer of primer helped to reveal MORE flaws.... Thats a good thing, becuase you can get those corrected before you add your base. I even saw 1 or 2 areas that I missed AFTER the base.... but thats ok. I will correct those too before the finish.

I bought 1 gallon of everything, which when you add in the catalyst's, really you have 1.5 gallons of some stuff, and 2 gallons of other stuff. That should be more than enough for anyone to do a W body.

Has anyone noticed my front bumper mod?

Shaved mouldings?

Where the foglights get mounted there was a little "airfoil" moulded into the bumper. I cut it out.

Look where Shawns foglights are... see that little grid?

151083_34_full.jpg

Now take a look at my front end with epoxy primer on it.

My whole goal is to give the car a "Cleaner" look. and because I am running HID, I yanked the foglights, while I was under there, I thought to myself... that thing just clutters it up a bit under there...

Shaved mouldings?

Where the foglights get mounted there was a little "airfoil" moulded into the bumper. I cut it out.

Look where Shawns foglights are... see that little grid?

151083_34_full.jpg

Now take a look at my front end with epoxy primer on it.

My whole goal is to give the car a "Cleaner" look. and because I am running HID, I yanked the foglights, while I was under there, I thought to myself... that thing just clutters it up a bit under there...

Good idea!

You said your running HID's? What are you running exactly?

4300K DS2 bulbs

It was a conversion kit I got off ebay.

I also bought some of the plastic Cutlass headlights, so that someday, I can have the clear lenses... but for now, I just have them adjusted down, so that the focal point is maybe 20 feet in front of the car.

4300K DS2 bulbs

It was a conversion kit I got off ebay.

I also bought some of the plastic Cutlass headlights, so that someday, I can have the clear lenses... but for now, I just have them adjusted down, so that the focal point is maybe 20 feet in front of the car.

Yeah, you will want to get those clear lenses in there sometime. The cutlass headlamps are really gonna throw off how well a set of true HID's will look and perform.