Question about some seat covers

CSI_MuNkY

Ok...long story short I got rear bucket seats for my car recently and wanted them black, so I got the idea to dye them. Well lesson learned...you can't dye automotive fabrics due to all the chemicals the factory uses.

SO....I started thinking about having seat covers made...at a price of $600-800 for 2 buckets, you can imagine how quick that option went out the window. As a last ditch effort I pulled the seat covers that I got for my front seats and did a test fit on the rears. Now, for those of you that don't know the rear seat backs are considerablly smaller than the front. I got them all fitted nicely with the excess material pinned to the back out of sight.

Here is the catch, because they are wider the material is stretched and you lose the shape of the seat completely (see pics)

md-CIMG0924.JPG

md-CIMG0927.JPG

Would it be a wise choice to get some glue on the inside and glue the cover to the seat? I'm not worried about ending up with scrap or never getting them apart, I haven't spent a fortune. The glue I have been using is holding up nicely in the high heat conditions of my car. I've glued some material to a couple other parts in the car and its holding up amazingly, the stuff is made to glue headliners in place and is good up to 170 degrees F

thanks for any input

Jamie

I'm pretty sure C-BAD on here has dyed the passenger seat for sure in his car...maybe you can PM him...I think his dye job turned out okay??? I've be surprised if there was still ScotchGuard on my seats after 16 years :S

My old seats! :lol:

I dyed mine tan.. however I don't think a dark color would work well even with the carpet/vinyl dye I got at work. It just sorta soaks it up and still looks dull.

I don't know anything about reapolistering.. are you able to run stitches down the center? That would be best IMO.

Well I was just considering glueing the seat covers to the seats, lol

BTW Dave....that Tan seat...the tan dye allll came out when I washed the seats with my gfs steam cleaner. The seats I have dyed took the color and looked awesome for a couple days, but after that they started turning almost purple...my guess is the sun was bleeching them.

Reapolstering them sounds like too much work and I have the covers on the seats, it wouldn't be a huge deal to spray some glue in there on either side and glue the 2 together. After that all I will have to do really is make the head rests work...

Jamie

I mean like somehow stitch the seatcovers onto the seat, I dunno what kinda glue you would use.. maybe do a google search or something.

Doesn't really surprise me that the dye came off... I think I'm gonna stick with the tan seatcovers I got in my car cause they match fairly well.

The glue I have is called Permatex Heavy Duty Spray Adhesive.

Its actually a contact cement I think, because I've noticed it holds a lot better when I get glue on both surfaces and then let them dry for a minute before putting the 2 together.

It says its good for bonding foam, fabrics, plastics, rubber and more.

I think my main concern is having the glue effect the texture or feel of the seating area. I've already used it on some sub box carpeting I got from Forest City Surplus on the wall behind the seats, and it didn't come through that...

guess I'll have to give it a shot...worst case senario, it doesn't stick and I have to find another meathod, or I have to replace the seat covers, also not a big deal.

I think I will try it tonight...I'll post later about how it went

Jamie

It's not that I don't think it will stick... I'm just wondering how it will hold up when people actually sit on them. Contact cement seems kinda hard, like it would crack and not hold anymore after a while. I'm wondering if there is something more "tacky" that woun't completely dry and be flexible.

OK, its done...

I Glued the seat cover to the seat and it worked, for now, the seats will definately dry in the heat of my car tomorrow, but last I checked they felt fine, no adverse effects from the glue hardening. Heres a pic...

CIMG097.jpg

An update for anyone except Q-Ball...pass through is gone, there is now a pontiac logo there, New center console is still in the very early stages of being made. With this console the pass through door would not of opened all the way, so I cut it out completely...

next job, fitting speakers into those side panels :peace:

Jamie

AHHHHHH u destroyed a 94-96 console for the back??!11/1?1/!

Yeah...there is no shortage of them around here...better cut up and in my car with a new life that crushed at the local wreckers never to see another home. To be perfectly honest, I've so far used 1 bottom peice and 2 different top peices!.

Jamie