Z34 5speed, not living up to expectations...

Z34-5speed

Hi. I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina Z34 5speed. I had a 93 auto Z. The reason that i got rid of the Auto was because i wanted something a little bit faster so i sold it and got the 92 off of ebay. Well, when i got the 92 i changed the plugs/wires, fuel filter, o2 sensor, complete new exhaust(cat included), air intake, and i got an FFP dogbone mount. The fastest i had gotten the Auto to run in the 1/4 was a 15.7 and that was on a 45* night. It would run a 16.1 all day long. So i then took the 92 to the track, thinking that it would run at least those #s, if not better. My best time was a 16.7@ 83. WTF? I had ran it one time before then when it had a clogged cat and a bad o2 sensor and it ran a 17.2 @85. How do i get a slower trap speed after i change all of that stuff? I realize that part of it is my ability to launch but that wont gain me a second overall? The car is throwing 2 codes, codes 32 and codes 39.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/91-92_34X_mfi.shtml

I dont exactly know what that means and there are ppl on 60*v6 telling me stuff but i still dont understand. The car runs fine other than the extremely slow times. No smoke, bogging, smelly exhaust, or anything like that. I am just wondering if yall have anymore ideas what might be slowing it down, other than me driving it.

Kyle

you need to replace the clutch switch and either clean the egr, get a new one, or have ben turn it off. that and some launch practice should do it.

Thanks, that makes it alot simpler. I will be getting a job here in the near future and i will use the $$$ from that to get those things fixed. Just wondering if any1 knows about what these things will cost to fix?

Kyle

DIY or shop?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=NS79&parttype=631&ptset=A - clutch switch

and i would try and clean the egr yourself. its about 10 bucks in gaskest if that napa has the set of 2 for like 3 bucks and the other sotres are like 10-15. and come carb cleaner will do. if not get one from the junkyard because new ones are like 200-250.

the trap speed tells me there's something wrong.... my car is a 3100 which is down 50hp and i can pull 81mph in the 1/4 with a 16.58x et.

I would have a shop do it. Would Ben turn it off through the chip or would i have to take it to him? If i do decide to just clean it, how do i do this? What do i clean? Is it like clogged or something? I will practice launching also. I thought the trap seemed low, especially since i trapped higher with a clogged cat and a bad o2 sensor. My 60ft time was 2.6 on the 16.7 run. I realize this sucks hard but even my auto was only getting a 2.4-2.5 and it was trapping 87mph. What RPMs should i be shifting at? What is seafoam? What about that restore stuff? Thanks again for the help.

BTW, the car has 125k miles on it.

Kyle

no reason you couldnt do the clutch switch, if you can undo a bolt or two and unplug it then ur plenty capable of doing it. it would take 5 min. as for ben, just tell him to turn off the egr and thats it. the computer will ignore it. as for cleaning it, once you get it off, 3 bolst and a plug, you see three holes and lots of black junk, clean as much black out as you can and thats it..done. seafoam is stuff you run through a vacume line and it cleans the inside of the motor. i wouldnt worry about restore if your car dont smoke or burn oil.

Ok, now where is the clutch switch? So do i have to buy Ben's chip to delete the egr? I plan on buying it and i was wondering if this is one of the things i should tell him.

Kyle

behind the clutch pedal, it should have a little button that gets pressed when the clutch is pushed down. and yes you have to have the chip to turn it off (delete) just tell him to turn it off and no more worries.

Is your clutch still in good shape...if it is slipping slightly that could also make your time slower...though I think you would know if it was slipping badly

I am wondering when last his timing belt was replaced. 130k on the clock, it should have been done twice by now, But I would bet it probly has never been done.

60ft is 2.5-2.6. I think most of that is my shifting though. I dont even want to discuss the evil timing belt. I hope it has been replaced recently b/c i sure dont want to have to pay the $$$ to have it done. Thanks again for all of the help.

Kyle

60ft is 2.5-2.6. I think most of that is my shifting though. I dont even want to discuss the evil timing belt. I hope it has been replaced recently b/c i sure dont want to have to pay the $$$ to have it done. Thanks again for all of the help.

Kyle

If you want a better time, you need to shift faster. There is no way a 5 speed Z34 can't do better than 2.5 60 ft. I can run that! :lol:

When i said "i think it is my shifting", i ment that i am still learning how to launch properly, sorry for the bad wording. I can shift from gear to gear fine, and am quite fast and plus, if i give it too much gas off the line i will either spin or bog. I think there has to be something still messed up with the car to be trapping that low. I am just about to say screw it and charge Ben's chip to a Visa and have him turn the egr off. Then i will worry about the clutch switch. Just wondering, what does the clutch switch do exactly?

Kyle

• 1 month later...

I took it back last Friday, the 7th, and i did as some of yall said. I put the stock intake back on. It was a cooler day than when i last went. This time i even iced my intake manifold and my best time was a 16.595@ 82.24. I even got my best 60ft ever, 2.394, but my overall time was 1 tenth slower than when i ran a 16.462@ 83.83. On the 16.4 run i had a 2.478 60ft time. So i had a tenth slower 60ft but i was 1 tenth faster and 1mph faster with the WAI and warmer weather.

Kyle

P.S. I ordered my chip last Thursday.