..when you look back at a job well done *update pics* :)

THe_DeTAiL3R

Okay so we've having a 3 day INDOOR used car sale coming this weekend...

Focusing on getting the used cars all cleaned up, most of them it's just getting the carpet perfect and things like that (interior). Most of the used cars are like 2002 or newer...

So we're all working away getting them cleaned, I decide to finally do my best on a bright red 1999 GP GT.

That thing was a bit rough, on the exterior. Typical 7 year old paint that was never maintained properly.

So I got out the paper, masking tape (to cover the windows and rubber seams), and went to town with the buffer. 3M rubbing compound, swirl remover, and then I put on paint seal for protection (works better than most waxes).

Did the headlights and tail lights since they are plastic, always makes a big difference.

Damn that car looks good now!!! I think at the price it's at it should sell now (that it's sexy!!)

I can't wait to do my car when it gets warmer. But I figure I'll be at least 8+hrs to get it as shiney as I want it to be. ;) :lol:

Cool....you should take some before and after pics of these cars you are cleaning up :D...

I know!!! I'm always like "fuck, I do all this work and don't bring my damn camera!!! :bash: "

NO shit man... I remember this like 91 Miata we got one time from a lot here in town... totally oxidized, and bright red... I turned myself pink several times over getting that car to shine. I hella wish I had some before and after pictures of that... that care came out shining damn near like new.

That was one of my most proud days detailing.

Buffing kicks ass. :)

Good job dude. I wanna see pics.

Good job! It reminds me of the killer job I did on my mom's 99 Grand Caravan. We were set to trade it in for a new Murano, and I wanted the old girl to be in her 'Sunday Best' for her trade evaluation. It took me over half the day, but I was very proud of the results:

van1.jpg

van5.jpg

van6.jpg

Nice job on the van :thumbsup:

Here are some pics of my hard work... sorry my photography skillz aren't the best

The hood was really shitty, so I wetsanded it lightly with 1500grit before buffing it.

**that's snow on the back bumper BTW.. lol

It's amazing how much better the tail lights look when you give them a quick buff job...

img20056wa.th.jpgimg20088kh.th.jpg

img20093ge.th.jpgimg20104ib.th.jpg

img20115ol.th.jpgimg20127wn.th.jpg

img20132wv.th.jpg

I did the front end of this minivan, it's a 2003 but has lots of little stone chips...

img20155wq.th.jpgimg20166og.th.jpg

img20177cr.th.jpg

:shrug:

Nice job on the van :thumbsup:

Thanks for the props. However, the outstanding job you did on the GP outshines me by a mile. 8)

BTW, my apologies to all for splashing my ugly mug up on the forum (see above van pics if you dare :lol: )

So I take it you work at a detail shop? My Grandfather owned a detail shop for 23 years IIRC until he passed away in December. I worked there when he needed extra help since I was like 12. Its amazing what a few minutes with a buffer will do to the appearance of a car!

Looks like you did a pretty good job on those cars! How long have you been doing this? Like I said, I've been doing it since I was 12 (and did it as a regular job since I was 15), and I'm 18 now and I'll admit I don't think I could do much if any better than that. Looks very good! :thumbsup:

Shawn

I've been working doing detailing for about 4 months, but I've kinda been into it ever since I've owned a car...

So educate me on how you do your wetsanding? Machine or hand?

By hand. Gotta spray water *KEEP IT WET* (just like clay bar I suppose) and feel when it's smooth with your other hand so that you don't sand too much. On the hood of that GP I did it by hand, just a few passes over to get the finish feeling smooth again. You don't want to go over it too many times or you'll obviously fuck up the clearcoat.

I've never heard of wetsanding by machine (nor would I recommend it)... although I suppose it's been done? :shrug:

By hand. Gotta spray water *KEEP IT WET* (just like clay bar I suppose) and feel when it's smooth with your other hand so that you don't sand too much. On the hood of that GP I did it by hand, just a few passes over to get the finish feeling smooth again. You don't want to go over it too many times or you'll obviously fuck up the clearcoat.

I've never heard of wetsanding by machine (nor would I recommend it)... although I suppose it's been done? :shrug:

So do you use a sanding block or just the paper and your hand? I would think a sanding block would have more uniform pressure on the surface than using your hand.

Thanks for sharing though. The clearcoat on the TGP is getting a little rough, and the compound I used last wasn't aggressive enough to smooth it out.

The wetsanding I'm doing isn't that aggressive. I just use the paper (no block). I only wipe over it a few times to get it feeling smooth. If I needed to do more intense wetsanding (such as removing orange peel or something) I'd probably use a block. I really don't do much in the way of sanding...

after the wetsanding, do you have different grades of compounds to bring the finish back?

We have the 3M "Perfect-It" Extra Cut compound, which works great after wetsanding, or just on it's own on shitty paint/scratches.

pretty sure this is the stuff:

http://www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=11015&p_catid=194&sid=fg1x11ESFAj0ET-00105263836.42

Then we have 3M swirl mark remover (polish/glaze) which brings up a brilliant shine.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_S2Z6ZJRKZTgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_HTLMPLZZ34bl/gvel_GS8V45YN4Pgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

For the compound- wool pad

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/auto_marine_aero/-/node_GS4CRMPCQYgs/root_VJ3G0N3T7Ngv/vroot_G75KJBMR4Kge/bgel_NSD8M7HM7Lbl/gvel_98X62SFRC0gl/theme_ca_en_automarineaero_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Polish- 3M waffle face foam pad http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/auto_marine_aero/-/node_GS9SFTT3Z0gs/root_VJ3G0N3T7Ngv/vroot_G75KJBMR4Kge/bgel_GSM3YKNSLGbl/gvel_98X62SFRC0gl/theme_ca_en_automarineaero_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

These 2 kinds of pads use "Hookit" which had a plastic back piece that attaches to the buffer, then you can quickly switch between pads (it's like velcro).. really nice to use. :)

3M stuff kicks ass!

After polishing I like to put on either paint seal or wax, otherwise dirt sticks real easy and waterspots...

Yeah I know theres a whole bunch on the 3M website. :?

Just using the 2 makes the cars pretty shiney, plenty good enough for selling anyways... and I plan on using it on my car when it's warmer out.

I'm gonna guess all those other kinds are more useful for NEW paint jobs... :shrug:

I've only used 1500 grit-wet, and only a few times...

More aggressive and I'm sure it would just do damage...

Anything higher (like 2000) is the same like using rubbing compound..

Come make my car stop looking like ass :lol:

The sad thing is, there are way too many Ws out there that look like ass. C-BAD could never get to all of them. :lol: