Dirty Rockstar

Okay, been gettin my shits in a row for the car, and next on my list is Audio.. So, I have it all planned out.. I am thinking it will consist of the following:

Two (2) Rockford P1 12's, Alpine Type E 12s or Type R 12s..

Two (2) Alpine Type S 6x9s for the rear

Four (4) Alpine Type S 5.25" Roundies for the dash and doors

Two (2) or Four (4) Rockford 3" tweeters in the BPillars

As many Alpine or Kenwood Amps I need to power this thing

Now, as for the Head Unit, I had been contemplating a nice Aftermarket one, but really only found one I like.. The problem is it is an older unit, and people still want 250-250 USD for it.. Out of the question.. So, I was reading in another thread tonight actually about the Aux input on the 96+ Chevy decks and the only reason I was wanting to go aftermarket was for my iPod.. I want the ability to connect it to my stereo, using the dock connector to charge it, and also to NOT have a stereo connector coming out the top of the iPod, and getting tangled in my shifter (In the Lumina, this would be a concern with that 5 speed shifter getting shifted all the time)..

So, the long and short of it.. How well can I get the system to sound in my car as described using the factory deck? I think the stock look would be great, and would like input.. Thanks.. 8)

I assuming you are using the GP center console???

Good choice on speakers, IMO Alpine speakers sound pretty good, but are a little to expensive for me.

As far as subs, I believe the "E" Types are designed for a non ported box, while the opposite for the "R"s...I dunno about the Rockford ones though.

For the iPod charger dock and whatnot, it depends where you want to put it on the dash/console/etc.....if it were me it would the console. But I'm guessing you have a GP console with DIC at the end?? If so maybe it will fit in front of the console lid, behind the shifter?? Sorta not the best viewing angle though.

But if it were sitting there you could run your power cable and other stereo plug under the console lid and underneath the console to the H/U and wherever you choose to get power for the charging dock. I have a fuse block wired in under my console cubby that I find quite useful for adding in 12 volt accessories, just a suggestion in case you add on later?

As far as making the amps work with the factory H/U I have no idea...I used the high level inputs on my car, but I only have 4 speakers. I'm guessing you'll have to get into crossovers and whatnot, you'll have to ask someone else for that!

I work at Best Buy :wink: Alpine is affordable for me..

As for the console, I am using the Grand Prix one, but the 95-6 style with the cupholders.. I am adding the 3 knob HVAC in as well is the location of the ashtray.. So it will "connect" with the console as it does in the GP..

As for placement, I kinda have an idea of the where, as there is an ashtray spot in the GPs console.. I was going to build the dock connector in there somehow and control it from there.. But I need to get the interior a little further along before I can make a final decision..

If you are putting in that large of a system I certainly would not scimp out on the head unit. You are definately going to need the preamp outputs that an aftermarket offers in order to bring out the full potential of the system.

If you are putting in that large of a system I certainly would not scimp out on the head unit. You are definately going to need the preamp outputs that an aftermarket offers in order to bring out the full potential of the system.

you read my mind

Well....I'm with eveyone else....I would not upgrade to a full bore system without changing the head unit. You are just asking for troubles!

Now I assume that because you work at bestbuy...that you only want to buy from there?

i'm going to DISagree with everyone else, sort of.

i've helped build two cars with factory oldsmobubble decks, and both placed at least once in the top two in sound quality competitions. it can definitely be done, and probably a little cheaper with the factory head unit.

but it would be a little easier to get an aftermarket hu. that way you wouldn't need to worry about line level adapters, an aftermarket equalizer (i would), LPL, etc.

That was a question I had actually.. Can I use an AM EQ with it here? I doubt it, and I think I will just use an Alpine CDA 9835 (My deck choice for max. readability via the Bio-Lite display..) I dont like the glide touch on the new ones w/ Bio Lite though, and that is my reason for the 9835.. A touch older, but it IS very similar to the new one..

And yea, I would rather buy from Best Buy to save myself some money, lol