Power steering problem driving me insane.

lakefxgp96

This is mostly a vent, but hopefully you have ideas for me! thanks!

Before I swapped in my rebuilt LQ1 into the Lumina, I replaced a leaking power steering pressure line. I used a junkyard part to replace it... i was already there anyway and just snagged it :shrug:

The new line leaked...of course. lol

Replaced with a brand new line and no problems with it since

Then the return line began leaking in October. It was a very slow leak and i got by for a little while adding fluid.

isn't the Return line is next to impossible to replace without a junkyard part? it wraps around everything like crazy... oh well.

It was leaking from the short rubber part that goes down from the rack and pinion. I cut the lines before and after the rubber hose, and clamped on a new rubber hose. I believe i used fuel/transmssion line if i remember right.

Worked great, for about 6000 miles (i drive the hell out of this car, 1 hour commuute. Last week the rubber hose came off on a really cold morning ~0 degrees outside.

That night i reinstalled the line and clamped it a little better where it came off.

The next day, the line popped off the other end!

Then my Brother and I looked at it, and we decided to double clamp both ends...worked great last night and didnt leak!

This morning it popped off again.

Dangit this is driving me insane!!!

I thought there was very little pressure on the return line...maybe its the hose im using?

I think the whole line should be replaced, but how? anybody replace a return line before??? thanks!

EDIT: I found this part at autozone.com.... is this what i need? i wonder if it is anything like the original or if it just bypasses all of the wierd routing around...

POWERCRAFT

FROM GEAR 91911 LLT $21.49

If you want me to I can scan the directions out of my '92's service manual for yah.

If it isnt too much trouble, then sure! id be happy to have that! No biggie though. What im trying to figure out...since the line is so twisty turvey around the cradle and locked into place if i remember right...im wondering if the replacement part just bypasses all that. As far as i understand, its only that long to act as a cooling system...

If you want me to I can scan the directions out of my '92's service manual for yah.

If it isnt too much trouble, then sure! id be happy to have that! No biggie though. What im trying to figure out...since the line is so twisty turvey around the cradle and locked into place if i remember right...im wondering if the replacement part just bypasses all that. As far as i understand, its only that long to act as a cooling system...

Wait the return line is the one big line, that heads to the front of the cradle? Shit I thought that was a seperate line off the rack.

Try making a little flare on the ends of the metal line to keep your rubber line from popping off. It'll work like a barb. Put your gear clamps back on and you should be good to go......or just replace the whole line, either or.

I should have thought of that. In fact the new line i just got has flared ends on it too!

I picked up the part at autozone last night, Yeah its the whole thing. It comes out of the R & P, down to the cradle and wraps around and then back to the firewall, then up behing the motor and over the the pump. Except it stops at the firewall...which sort of makes sense since it would be nearly impossible to install the entire line with the engine in the car. In fact, in oder to get the lines in place without twisting or bending, im finding out that i need to unbolt a few front lower mount bolts so i can jack the engine up and clear the oil pan. WHAT A PITA! lol.

The other thing is that apparently the return line needs to be real power steering line, there is too much pressure in the line for transmission/fuel line hose.

The other thing is that apparently the return line needs to be real power steering line, there is too much pressure in the line for transmission/fuel line hose.

that makes total sense. good to hear it was the right part and i can only imagine how much of a pia it is. good luck.

Actually you shouldnt worry about, i think I will have this taken care of today when i get home. I wasnt sure of a bunch of things but they all make more sense now that i have torn this thing apart and bought the new line!

Like someone else said, make a small flare with a flaring tool on the end of the metal tube and it'll help retain the rubber hose. The right way is to get a tubing beader, but I haven't seen these tools in years. Earl's makes one, but it doesn't work worth a crap.

I've changed the entire return hose and hard line...the one that snakes all over the bottom of the cradle. You're much better off just flaring/beading the metal line and installing a rubber hose. Unless you like to cussing and swearing...or you want to pull the engine and trans.

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself in the same predicament :cry: my 92 Olds is losing P.S. fluid like crazy. I've traced the leak to a short rubber hose which is connected at both ends to metal lines. I traced the line from the rack and it snakes it's was from there down (what I believe you guys refer to as the craddle)

the front of the car thinking it was ending somewhere (since the part they were trying to sell me was much shorter). Then it bust a U -turn back the same way it came down back to the rack :evil: WTH

My question is what is this line called?

they were asking me if it was the pressure line or the return line?

a friend of mine suggested the cutting of the stock like and replacing with fuel line hose and 2 clamps each side. Please help it's too damn cold outside to be messin with this :(

Thanks