3.1 Turbo Smoking like crazy ***Retarded DIS plug***

Prospeeder

i didnt think this was really a turbo specific thing scince it could happen to any 3.1, but My car just pours out white smoke out the tail pipes, it doesnt smell right tho, its not gas, oil, or coolant. Its strange, and the car idles horrible, it will just like get real low then suddenly kick up and run rough and fluxuate the RPMs all the time by like 150 rpms constantly. No codes. Now, should ALL the vacuum ports have vaccuum coming out of them? cause i took off and the last 2 didnt have vacuum, the big fatty and the one to the EGR, i would THINK it they would need vaccum? Correct? Why wouldnt it? Whats the reason is wouldnt if its normal? Cause it could be an EGR problem, i just replaced my o2 Sensor also but its been doing this way be4. The plugs look really good, but they look a little on the lean side, could the EGR be open and letting too much exhaust into the intake and leaning it out too much? or what? I would think the o2 would make some changes even if that did happen.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prospeeder

• TGPilot

• Garrett Powered

• Gearhead43

ok so turbo seal, lets say its that, is it somthing i can repair myself? Whats involved, and how much and where can i get the seal, it definatly doenst need a full rebuild, cause it has NO shaft play at all, so the seal is leaking coolant on the exhaust side then and burning out, not actually going into the cylinders

well, ill add this, it used to just do it intermittantly, but now it does it all the time. And i notice that its got alot of water coming out the tail pipes, thought it was just cause it hasnt been drivin for awhile but i guess not, its got a bitter smell, it hard to tell if its sweet, i dunno, but its most likley coolant then, So whats all invloved in replacing it!

HEY IF ANY MODS COULD MOVE THIS TO THE TURBO SECTION that would be great, I want like Jeff M to see it :lol:

Ok, so now that i THINK thats my problem, now why is my car idling so shitty? and why do the last 2 vaccum ports on the TB not have vaccum? is that normal? and why?

Guest TurboSedan

shit, i'm sorry i was confused. no i didn't source my boost gauge from the EGR vacuum port on the TB. what i did was source it from the HVAC/cruise control port (on the TB) using the EGR vacuum line piece. ugh, sorry about the confusion! i will edit my earlier post.

If its been smoking for a while and your low coolant light has not come on then most likely not water from like warped heads, or turbo though water getting from the center section of the turbo is pretty tough to do unless there is a crack in the center section. Either way for now just check the coolant level in the radiator (not the fill/overflow tank!!), then go on to the next:

Pull the o2 sensor, if its coated heavy or oily then something is burning in the engine like an oil, if its super fricking clean then coolant being burnt can do this but doubt this is the problem, or a heavy mixture of coolant to water can show a thick white build up too but don’t ask any questions yet, just keep reading and follow the instructions underlined :wink: :lol: I think you will find your problem with the suggestions listed here, at least I hope so, I know I prefer easy fixes :thumbsup: .

Since your Low Coolant Light has not come on yet after all this time, then I would check the tranny vacuum modulator/TVM. The diaphragm inside of the TVM can split and allow tranny fluid to be sucking into the upper intake/engine and be burnt! Should be an easy test to just pull off the vacuum line at the TVM and see if its wet, red or dark red or (shame on you) brown fluid, not supposed to be any fluid in that vacuum line :nono: .

Jeff M

What He said.

BTW...Oil does burn white...just ask me how I know :lol: .

Gas is black, blue can be also oil. Coolant can be white.

EGR port will have low or no vacume at closed throttle or 3/4 to WOT. Usualy less than 3/4 it has vacume. Its vacume source is right on the TB blade...not behind the TB unit. The THick one should have vacume. Your complet TB prob needs some cleanning. Take the top vacume port block off and clean the ports. Clean the IAC passages. Don't clean the IAC..just wipe it clean. Or use carb cleaner..then spay it with wd-40.

I would check everything the Jeff M. stated before jumping to any conclusions. The turbine seal cannot leak coolant unless there is a crack in the CHRA which would let coolant leak into the bearings. It could still be just oil from the turbine seal, but I doubt it if it's white. :)

ok, i pulled off the vacuum lines right off the TVM, and they were dry, i started the car, and let it run, and then looked, nothing, and when i ran it, no huge amounts of smoke anymore, but there was a little, and it smelled normal for like 3 minutes of idle, then it got a little stinky and then it smleed just the same as it had been doing, hmm, i might just replace the TMV just to see, its only like 25$ at shucks for a n ATC one, freakin thing, WHY does it gotta PMS all the time, be all happy and fine, then suddenly a problem, right when ur about to solve the problem, it stops doing it

how does one replace this vacuum modulator?

well i used the handy search button and found how to replace it, very easy, one 13mm bolt and pull out and make sure to get the plunger thing and what not. I know its gotta be trans fluid, cause i did some trouble shooting, i put it in reverse, a TON of whitish blue smoke flies out the back, back into park, theres about half as much then almost none after a few minutes, back into drive, a bunch blows out, and ect ect. glad its nothing serious

ok, im stumped now! what the hell, i start it up, no smoke at all, i shift it, smoke starts blowing out right when i shift it, then i go, and unplug the vac line from the modulator, NO FLUID at all in the line or anything, and the smokes still comeing out with it unplugged, what the heck! theres alot of oil in my TB showing up, would a mojorly wasted PVC valve cause this? the smoke is white, and sometimes light blue

when u drive it, it just blows out the back, and u take off fast, man it leaves the biggest ugliest cloud of blue/darkdark gray/white mixed mass of smoke that lingers there for a bit

Guest TurboSedan

might be easier to pull the PCV valve out when the engine is warmed up a little....that way the PCV hose might be more pliable and easier to work with.

then i would just pull the alternator out. leave the alternator on its bracket, and just remove the three 15mm bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the rear cylinder head. leave the alternator plugged in and just set it aside (like on top of the PS pump). that should easily give you enough room to reach back there and pull the PCV valve out.

one question....do you have oil seeping out between the turbine housing and dowpipe? if so maybe some has puddled up on top of your transmission? is there any way of telling what kind of oil it is?

one question....do you have oil seeping out between the turbine housing and dowpipe? if so maybe some has puddled up on top of your transmission? is there any way of telling what kind of oil it is?

I dont know, if it was sitting on my trans, why would shifting it make it start smoking out the tail pipes?