DONE....(update) Converting < 93 rear brakes to 94+

lakefxgp96

Does anyone have a write up or conversion guide? My biggest question is will the brake lines bolt right up to the new brakes or will i need to make special lines?

I have a big project ahead of me, the Lumina is getting a new rear-end :)

New struts, mounts, newer knuckles/bearings from a 95 GTP, rear brakes from a 95 GTP, leaf spring from a 95 GTP w/ new pads and the rest of the componants are taking a bath in rust penetrant and getting some flat black primer!

all hail the frankenlumina!

(other conversions include cutty ub3, 95 engine---MPFI'd, 95 alternator.)

Guest TurboSedan

the only problem i had besides the parking brake cables was that the bracket on the '94 Regal hoses didn't bolt flush to the frame. very small detail probably not even worth mentioning, but oh well. the hoses still worked just fine. next time i remove them i will probably grind the tab thing off the hose bracket so they will mount flush to the frame.

it's been a long time since i've done the swap, but IIRC my '91 hoses would have worked perfectly with the newer calipers. i just didn't use them because they were in horrible shape. i know the write-up on w-body.com says they won't work, but that is because the early hose/line mentioned in the write-up are different than '91 hoses (which have no metal line section like '88-'90 IIRC). i think i still have my old '91 hoses laying around, i will try to double check on this.

:oops:

I forgot all about that write up. I think i last looked at that about 3 years ago! The only page i remembered was the first one talking about how the swap was possible.

Well i started tearing the donor calipers apart to decide what needs to be replaced. Looks like in need some new holding clips and bigger C-clamp for the pistons, they arent seized up, i can push them out by pumping the park brake spring, but i cant seem to get them to go down like they should. The calipers are going to be red, should look pretty sweet behind my enkei 5+'s. :P

Guest TurboSedan

mine looked great and i just threw them in. my Cutlass brakes rock, i wish i could say the same about my STE. seriously though, why not just replace the calipers? i wouldn't want to go through the trouble of tearing them apart but that's just me.

don't use a C-clamp to compress the piston back into the bore. you need to turn the piston back in with the right tool (that box tool thing that Checker sells for $10). although i just used a needle nose pliers (carefully) as a spanner wrench and it worked fine.

lakefxgp96,

Is there any other way to get a hold of you?

Do you have an instant messenger? I've done the swap and I would love to come down if you need a extra set of hands!

You can email me or pm me and i can give you my cell, I hate messanger programs. :D

Matt and I should be able to do it, We are swapping out the spring, struts, one knuckle/bearing and the brakes probably all at once in one day. It would be fun with some extra experience and more hands there. I think we are planning for saturday. Too bad Matt doesnt have a better garage with a cement floor, he's in pullman, it would be that much of a drive for you if we could do it there.

You can email me or pm me and i can give you my cell, I hate messanger programs. :D

Matt and I should be able to do it, We are swapping out the spring, struts, one knuckle/bearing and the brakes probably all at once in one day. It would be fun with some extra experience and more hands there. I think we are planning for saturday. Too bad Matt doesnt have a better garage with a cement floor, he's in pullman, it would be that much of a drive for you if we could do it there.

Check your PM.

if you search, i have written on this before as a reply to someone else's question, but i can give you some help too if you cant find it. laziness is also an acceptable excuse. i have done it twice, and although it was a while ago, i still remember at least most of what i had to do.

DONE!!!

Here are the results of the new brakes, wheel bearings, leaf spring and rear struts.. LONG weekend. Everything was done saturday morning but getting the brakes bled properly ended up being a fiasco. For some reason an air bubble got in the system and i ended flushing it all searching for it, never got any air out of it but magically the pedal returned to its former feel.

all i have to say is... HUGE difference. All the noise from the rear is gone, the wobble, the squeels, pops and clicks. Very rewarding "upgrade"!

Here is a pic of the car from about 11 months ago, before i got my hands on it! Saggy leaf spring, ugly wheels, broke engine, broke trans!!

car.jpg

before.jpg

leaves.jpg

middle.jpg

last.jpg

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

Yes i know the tires are too small, they came with the rims :D

all in hindsight, i should have gotten some GMPPs. it turns out one of the stock ones is bent! on the GP, i've known that the other side is bent! i guess ill just get two sets of them when the time comes... i was wondering why the car had the same little tail-wiggle as the GP...

I honestly have until this point not taken a single pic of both cars together... I keep thinking of doing that but never do.

The lumina still needs a lot of cosmetic work. So far only the rear bumper has gotten any serious attention, but the front, the doors, and the roof all need bondo..dents pulled... paint. And the whole car needs a good buffing.

I've never seen your Z before. That's a sweet looking car! You must bring that when we meet up at the end of the month. Right now it's looking like I"ll be bringing my dad's F-150 and a trailer. :mrgreen:

lol. Yeah its my daily. The car is photo-genic, looks great from afar but it looks like a POS up close and inside. :oops: Oh well, im working on it! lol. it looks better at least after the 4 inch lift kit :D AKA spring that doesnt sag.