tierods/ball joints ??

Lee

At what point should I actually be afraid that the wheel will fall/snap off the car?

My front driverside is pretty bad for both outer tierod and lower ball joint. The car is now in its drive until it dies phase, just too expensive to replace everything up front that needs replacing, + other stuff.

Still rolls smooth. Tires wear poorly over time then shudder a bit. Good tires currently.

Struts and mounts

both outer tie rods

left lower ball joint

alignment

Then we get to the rear end, tired spring. Slightly out off align wheel after lousy local Farm&Fleet chain store relaced struts. Some scalloping of outer tread.

PM3 ABS geting tired, not willing to invest in future failures.

Driver window now plexiglass. Yard crew at work with lawn mower.

don't want to see the back brake calipers ever again.

Bits O" rust.

I stay pretty much on the freeway now, away from my favorite curvy yet bumpy roads. But this car does travel 68 to 72 mph for 70 miles each day. I'd hate to loose a front wheel at speed.

9 years of ownership, want a Cutty. But I have to see this one to the end first.

Replace the tie rods and ball joints at the very least. I don't think you want to lose a wheel or your steering at highway speeds(or any speed for that matter :shock: ).

There are some "cheaper" ball joints/tie rods out there if you look. I'm sure they're at least better than old/wornout parts. :wink:

http://www.partsamerica.com (Advance Auto parts) lists some "Tread Saver" brand ball joints for $15/each and tie rod ends for $11/each.

EDIT: Autozone also has some similar prices on a "Valucraft" brand.....wouldn't hurt to check ebay as well, I scored some cheap Moog tie rod ends on there a while back.

those are really easy to replace and cheap (go with tread saver). i wouldnt chance it, especially driving on the intersate at those speeds. i wouldnt worry too much about the alignment (although you should do it if you can), but if it's noticeably off, i would do a front end alignment or you'll end up going through tires and that, as you know, can be expensive.