cheap pads & rotors? + monoleaf blocks?

streetdreams

this couldnt have happened at a worse time man seriously, other day I heard grinding from my front brakes so I took a look today and the drivers inside pad is completely gone, maybe 1/2 mm MAX. the inside of the rotor is getting

engraved deep and fast. maybe a week max till the rotor turns into 2 frisbee's. this is the worst time for this though. I am flat broke and cant afford anything right now. anyone have any info knowledge on dirt cheap pads and rotors for these cars? 88 GP SE. canadian tire has rotors on for $18

each CAD and I dont think I'l find cheaper than that so I guess my real search now is for some dirt cheap pads unless someone has a better idea

oh yeah and while it was in the air I noticed the passenger side monoleaf rubber finally let loose and I'm running on nada now although I know theyre supposed to be cheap, now just isnt the time. at 270,000k this car is a survivor man and has been extremely good to me. but now the downpipe at the exhaust is rotted out, the engine mounts are completely shot, front brakes, e brake,

needs struts and everything that goes with them, new tires, etc etc

damn this shit makes me depressed

Well the resin blocks that I put under the leaf I got from speedy because they did my rear shocks. They are not hard to install as long as you have patience.

As for rotors... check prices on ones from NAPA. I wouldnt take parts from Canadian Tire.

My 88's downpipe is screwed $47 at Carquest and I may substitute the catalytic converter for a length of pipe since NS law requires one only 90' and above. Maybe that gives you an idea of what to look at.

As for brakes ... heh I had a pad that was past the pad and into the rivets.

I'd go to a junkyard and search for the brake (and other) parts you need. Chances are, a decent number of the junked cars in there still have brake hardware on them, and they may be usable for a short term fix.

oh yeah I'm down to the rivets man, theres like 1/2 mm of pad left around the rivets but alot of it is cracked off too so I'm pretty close to ridin the backing plate on the rotor in a day I bet but THAT is not gonna happen cuz I dont need any accidents on my concience

47 for the down pipe eh? good to know man good to know.

oh yeah I'm down to the rivets man, theres like 1/2 mm of pad left around the rivets but alot of it is cracked off too so I'm pretty close to ridin the backing plate on the rotor in a day I bet but THAT is not gonna happen cuz I dont need any accidents on my concience

47 for the down pipe eh? good to know man good to know.

Yeah my 88' needs it. I think the spring bolts are fuxored as well. I havent priced em up here though yet.

It's bad enough to price parts and work on one car let alone do it for my 2. :(

Seriously though. Get those front pads and rotors done asap and note that you need a large torx bit to remove the front bracket. I think it's a bit thats for 1/2" socket drives, I cant remember. It sounds like the amount of wear ou have it may be pretty hard to remove as well.

So front brakes 1st and downpipe later.

go to the junk yard.....find the parts.........throw the parts over the fence when nobodys looking......go get them in the middle of the night!!!! free!!!!!!

haha its so tempting when you go there.....but dont do it!!!

If you dont go to a j/y to get pads and rotors, NAPA has some dirt cheap rotors and pads. Call them up, tell them the car and tell them, I want the cheapest rotors and pads you have. If you get one of the nice guys there, tell him your situation, more than likely hell be willing to help you out.

I got my brake parts from NAPA but I didn't really skimp out. A new rotor and a set of pads for the front came to ~$113. They had rotors there for like 20 bucks but it was some Chinese brand and I said I'd rather go with the NAPA brand.

So you may go cheap, but it's not necessarily the best idea.

You'll need a T-60 bit to remove to caliper brackets. NAPA also has the poly blocks. I believe I paid $20-25 for the pair. I think Canadian tire might have their cheap brakes on sale this week.

I ended up going to parts man down the street, got my front pads for $15 CAD the rotors were $19.50 each. this is cost of course not retail. I put'em in today at lunch and man do I feel better driving around now