Its a wonderful day..**Updated 1-21-06** SHES RUNNIN!!

pontiac6ksteawd

Got out to the car from work. She started as normal as she has since I got her. Drove her over to Best Buy as I am looking for a WMA player for my work truck. Went back out to the car, she started but didnt run worth a damn. Tried making it home, and made it a block away with a crank, no start. Checked fuses, spark, fuel. All were good. After we put back in all the fuses, she started. But sounded like utter crap. No pings or knocks out of the motor. But it sounded like I had a backfire in the X-over, and its even louder than befor. But it doesnt rev worth shit..

I know I need a x-over, and a chip. Those are coming in short order as soon as I get caught up on my credit card. But for tonight I bought a set of new plugs (OE), wires, Crank Pos Sensor, fuel filter, and a computer. I have heard that the computers go bad in these cars pretty regular, can anyone verify this. And is there anything else I should be replacing while I am at it.

I am getting a code 33 out of the computer. Which is a MAP sensor, I have one ordered as my local store doesnt carry it.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pontiac6ksteawd

• Garrett Powered

• Jeff M

• SleeperRed90TGp

You need something to replace that will make a difference, because you are worried about the computers going out on these cars?

Well slap in a cs-130-d alternator and a gear reduction starter.

a good starting point for you as you can get these items out of the J/Y in a 98 GP with a 3100 series motor. Then when you pay off some of the card, get the alt. and starter rebuilt if they need it. They can build the alt. up to 165 amps if you want. This is constant power and the thing does not overheat like ours do. They should be able to get it to fit in your car too if you bring in your bracket to have it fit.

The problem is that our cs-130 series alt. from the 90s can only charge the battery for a minute or 2 before it gets hot and stops making power. Everything suffers because of this. Do not put all these old inefficient power sucking acessories through the abuse of underpowering them. Upgrade.

I already have replaced the ALT and Starter. Upgraded the ALT only slightly. The computer we have determined is fine. We did replace the crank position sensor (and surprisingly it came out in one peice :shock: ) as well as plugs and wires (one wire melted on the cooling fan motor). We think we have determined it to be a fuel pump. After we did those repairs, I went and drove it around the block and for the first 300 feet, it went like a raped ape. and then just died. It would crank over, and only just barely run at idle. So I idled it back into the driveway, and thats where I am now. Computer will be going back tomorow. And I will buy a fuel pump and figure out how to get it in there (the tank is full with premium, and with these gas prices, I am not just going to waste it). I had a freind of mine get under the car as I turned on the ignition without starting it, and nothing other then the seatbelt reminder dinger.

So what I am needing to know is if it is the fuel pump, Wheres the best place to snag one, or do I just stay OE and get another AC Delco unit. Also which model of fuel pump is it. I have had people ask me what 3 digit code is on the wiring harness. As I havent gotten it apart yet, I dont know.

What's the status on the fuel injectors? When they go bad, they can short out the ECM causing a no-start condition. Bad injectors can be intermittent (the short condition goes away when the windings cool down).

You need something to replace that will make a difference, because you are worried about the computers going out on these cars?

Well slap in a cs-130-d alternator and a gear reduction starter.

a good starting point for you as you can get these items out of the J/Y in a 98 GP with a 3100 series motor. Then when you pay off some of the card, get the alt. and starter rebuilt if they need it. They can build the alt. up to 165 amps if you want. This is constant power and the thing does not overheat like ours do. They should be able to get it to fit in your car too if you bring in your bracket to have it fit.

The problem is that our cs-130 series alt. from the 90s can only charge the battery for a minute or 2 before it gets hot and stops making power. Everything suffers because of this. Do not put all these old inefficient power sucking acessories through the abuse of underpowering them. Upgrade.

That’s the dummmmmest reply to a persons problem that I think I have seen on this forum. If you want to tout your alt and starter start your own thread. It's pretty obvious he doesn't need a starter or alt.

Brian,

You can read the tags on the FP harness with the tank in. There on the left side. It's a Corvette pump and is totally adequate.

To really check the FP correctly get a tester, about 20.00.

The FP is a PIA to change especially with a full tank. If your pump works at all you can extend the Fpressure tester with copper tubing and use the FP test wire and pump the gas into a container or another car. I have never been able to siphon the gas out.

To take the tank out just take the front strap bolts out. The tank will kind of slide down the straps. A floor jack helps. To re install the tank get longer strap bolts, makes it a lot eaiser to get the bolts started because the straps have been bent a little.

Good luck.

Well you must have money :wink: . I dunno if I would just buy parts at random and hope it fixes the problem :shock: :) .

I would say fuel pump. Fuel injectors would go out with drama..and slowly where your gas milage would just suck or misffireing and hissitations.

Fuel pumps go out when your nowhere neer home :lol: . Sometimes they will work if you slap the fuel tank from the center with a mallet due to corroded wiring or sticking fuel pump gears.

The other could be the fuel pump relay or oil pressure guage switch.

I just hot wire the relay to make sure its the pump and pressure test it and leave it idle for 20min at minimum. Then try it with the realay/pressure sensor.

YOu said when you replaced the fueses it fire up. DID any look corroded from the contacts? Might be time to clean your wiring anyway. My BMW service manual says after so many thousand miles ...there suppose to service the wiring...could be because of corrosion. On electrical connectors..I just spary some electric motor cleaner and a old steel nail clipper file. The grounding staps and such need to be cut and new wires or o-rings need to be crimped on there with sanded down coated self tap bolts.

With the ECM..sometimes it pays to have a working J/Y unit around to truble shot with it just in case. Mine cost $35 long ago with some wires.

That map erro flag will go on when ever the car dies or has low vacume at idle (WOT and low idle..what you discrived). But it can be a bad map sensor. Oh well You ordered it..so put it in.

The only thing that you have that is the Quickest is your sassy lips(keys).

I can weld a bead with my alt. at 100 MPH as I am passing your POS. and your dinosaur Alt. 8)

Sleepered, you suck. Ignore what I say, and give your own useless info on your own thread. I got here first.

The only thing that you have that is the Quickest is your sassy lips(keys).

I can weld a bead with my alt. at 100 MPH as I am passing your POS. and your dinosaur Alt. 8)

Sleepered, you suck. Ignore what I say, and give your own useless info on your own thread. I got here first.

:lol:

Mine is actually already upgraded internally though. It now houses a 165 amp (new as of 2005) stater that is far denser than when they first came out.

I've had my share of CS-130D's failures come into the shop I work at, they're just as big of pieces of shits as the CS-130's. Maybe we can attempt to get back onto topic.

Is that all you got to help out with his problems? Is that why you are a moderator, so you can nag at people?

Hey thats my job too :lol: Us mods, that have also been members here for a very long time!!!!....know all too well the signs of a flame war about to take off, and its our job to be the bad guys/hard guys to keep things running smoothly here by heading these things off :twisted:, thats a fact. This is not a boxing ring, if people have issues with someone take it to the PMs and hash it out all you want with them, keep it off the open forums. When someone feels everyone should do and believe everything they say this is going to rub people the wrong way and set them off! Offering help is only that, “offeringâ€Â, so don’t expect everyone to just follow, it does not show respect that they have any brains, and if you put yourself in their shoes I think you will feel the same/see what I am getting at. And again, I am not sure how long you have been working on cars and more specifically, the TGP but I can guess its not as long as quite a few others here so prepare to learn from the collective expertise here, we have a shit load of very smart and knowledgeable members here that I learn from often too 8) .

Jeff M

Is that all you got to help out with his problems? Is that why you are a moderator, so you can nag at people?

I think a few posts above on page 1 sounds like good advice as to WHY his car acted up. Why tell someone the same thing twice?

Actually, a moderator helps keep threads ON topic. I've seen you run off topic and provoke other members in a matter of three posts, and derailed this whole thread. Why not just get rid of the problem, right? 3 days :D

Well said Jeff.

I have copied Jeff's statement so I can use it on TGPforums! Very well said! :wink: 8)

Ahh quit it :oops: :lol: its not that good :shock: :) I have been composing and typing for a lot of years but Shawn who is years younger than me composes far better than I do, and can do it in 10 words or less :lol:

Jeff M

and can do it in 10 words or less :lol:

Jeff M

Something you know NOTHING about!! :lol: :lol:

Just in case it is not obvious! :joke:

NOPE, thats a fact jack :lol:. If my grammar were better, I should consider writing books, could fill pages quickly 8) , with the shit load I have amassed over the many years I have been around :lol: but there are older guys than me, those I respect and learn from the most 8) .

Jeff M