89 Digital dash install into the 92 *PICS*

Guest Anonymous

Well, i finally got it done...

I connected the secuirty lighting feauture, but, oddly enough, it doesnt work. I really don't care, however.

I know alot of people on here don't particualrly like these clusters, but I really like it and am happy with the final product.

Yeah, oddly enough security lighting doesn't work on my 89 either, and it even came with that cluster. I actually have gotten to like that cluster, I don't like the coloring so much and in certain conditions the speed is tough to read but the layout is exactly right. You can get all the vitals at a glance since they are right next to each other like they should be (just make sure all the needles are in the middle) and the speed is digi and the tach is analog, as it should be. Congratulations on the swap!

Guest Anonymous

My security lighting does work after all. I actually like the feature and have it set for about 10 seconds. The timers do go bad on these, so thats probably why it doesn't work.

I'm still having the Ck. Fuel problem. The origianl harness I pulled from the 89 did not have anything on C7, but the FSM lists C7 as a ground (fuel sender ground?) so i suspect there may be an issue there that is causing my DIC not to fucntion, as the fuel sender isnt grounding properly in the cluster.

I'm going to add the C7 ground tomorrow and I'm hoping for some better results. But the Digital dash is pretty cool, i'm glad that i did the conversion. I like the 89 pods much better too. When I first saw them at the yard i left em there becuase i thought that they were ugly, but i went back for them and realized they were pretty cool! But like i said, i'm pretty happy with my project. It came out really great, if i do say so myself.

Guest Anonymous
just make sure all the needles are in the middle

yeah, only problem is my oil pressure sensor is shot. Its been reading 60 PSi since i got the car :roll: so i've learned to ignore that gauge. But if anyone on here knows the replacement procedure....

Yeah. The replacement procedure is drop $35 on a new one, grab the deep socket for it (may be difficult for a size that big) or wrestle a big crescent wrench down in there and swap em. They are pipe thread, so you don't need any extra teflon or anything and only a few drops of oil will come out provided you don't do it with the engine running. The sender comes right off the block like right about just above the oil filter.

Guest Anonymous
Damn the digital guages are a huge improvement! Gratz! :mrgreen:

Thanks. I;m very happy with the conversion to the digital dash. It gives it a real vintage, glitzy upscale 80's look, which i like.

My security lighting does work after all. I actually like the feature and have it set for about 10 seconds. The timers do go bad on these, so thats probably why it doesn't work.

So where does one find this replacement timer, and does the cluster have to come out to get at it?

Thanks

Kurt

Guest Anonymous

No, you don't have the pull the cluster. You can simply pull your headlight pod stright out of the dash. It will unplug on its own. The harness is attached to the casing.

Once you've pulled the pod out, there is a big white box with a black film on the back. It has one or two tiny wiring harnesses that you unplug and I think it unscrews off the back. You could probably find one in a junkyard. You can either swap just the timer of the entire pod. But I think it would be easier just to swap the entire pod.