89 Digital dash install into the 92 *PICS*

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, i finally got it done...

It took all day, i started around 11:30 this morning, and was done around three. I took a few wires out of an extra harness i had and used them to plug into my existing 1992 cluster harness. I had to add four wires (trip, reset, display dimmer, and constant 12v) and i just replaced one of the existing wires for the english metric switch. The EM was on D2, which was the hud low fuel output on the 92.

After that I snipped off my existing pod harnesses and spliced on the 89 ones. I was VERY reluctant to do this, mainly becuase of the limited amount of space. I tried to repin them, but it wasn't working out. I made sure my connections were good, and got it done. I had to add three wires to the pod harness, which was the trip, reset, and then i spliced the backlight wire into a corresponding brown wire off the headlight pod harness. I connected the secuirty lighting feauture, but, oddly enough, it doesnt work. I really don't care, however.

It took a good almost 2 hours to get the hud to line up back on it track, a royal PITA. It just woulnt cooperate with me. anyway, here are the pics, some of which suck. I'll get night shots this evening.

Dash1.gif

dash2.gif

dash3.gif

I know alot of people on here don't particualrly like these clusters, but I really like it and am happy with the final product.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks...

Also, I had to cut down the HUD dimmer switch. The face is normally flush with the face of the wiper pod, but the ENG/MET slider is there. On the back of the HUD pod was about half an inch of extra plastic, which I cut out, so that the dimmer switch recesses back farther and leaves room for the E/M slider. When i talked to Dave last night, he said that he added a spacer so that his HUD dimmer was below the E/M switch.

However, the screw holes don't line up now, so i used some double-sided tape to keep it in place. The Wiring harness does not have alot of slack, so it didnt move anyway without the tape.

Ahhh... memories!

Miss the old cluster from my 88.. was so much more fun to look at than my boring 95.

The added HUD controls make it even cooler. Good work :thumbsup:

Guest Anonymous

yeah, thats the SES light (my engine wasn't running so thats just normal). The car diagram dispalys a number of warning lights, but I can't figure out why the seatbelt one doesn't come on... it never has as long as I've had the car.

I still have the same systems monitor custom OHC, but i'm going to remove it now. I'm not sure if i should leave the OHC empty or think up a new gadget to go there.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you thank you...

When it gets darker i'll get pics of it all lit up at night. I'm very happy with the project!!

I decided to clear out the OHC. I used a small ornage bulb in a clear reflector for a GP window switch to illuminate it up there at night. The small bulb is recessed into the top of the OHC and is connected with the headlights. basically, it makes the inside slightly glow at night. I got the idea from the bonneville door handles, which have a small bulb that lights up the interior door handle area with the headlights on.

Cool. Good work. With the '88-'89 pods, I always liked how you could retain the wiper delay setting while switching between delay & constant wiping. You can't do that with the '91-'93 pods.

Guest Anonymous
What does the tach go to when you accelerate? Does it go to 6.5? Or does it not allow you to go over over 6?

it would go up to 6.5, as thats an engine management thing. I've never redlined the car, though.

jeese, the needles dont light up or what? that would be hard to see all ur stuff at night, nice digital dash tho, thats pretty neat. The 88-89 Pillar pods look pretty cool too, thats crazy

Guest Anonymous
jeese, the needles dont light up or what? that would be hard to see all ur stuff at night, nice digital dash tho, thats pretty neat. The 88-89 Pillar pods look pretty cool too, thats crazy

no, the needles light up, its just the way the picture came out.