L36/L67 3800 turbo kit

THe_DeTAiL3R

Ever since driving (and falling in love with) the 2004 GP GT I've kept the idea of a Gen 2 3800 as a possible next vehicle.

The only other "real" local forum for GPs I visit is Ontario/Quebec Club GP http://oqcgp.com (I don't think they are affiliated with glubgp.com). Anyways I've noticed that alot of members with GTPs have been converting to turbos and GT guys are adding on the turbo, getting some awsome power (many running in the 12s).

From what I understand the L36 is actually better suited cause of higher compression ratio. The L67 is better in the long run of course, due to stronger engine/trans.

The kit from Cartuning performance is $3000, but comes with everything including PCM and bolts onto the stock exaust manifolds.

Claims 280hp+ on a stock L36 engine..

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Category_Code=RG&Product_Code=WB3039

Discuss..

The kit does what it advertises as quite a few people have backed up it's claims. There's a guy on clubgp with that kit on a 04 GTP along with rocker arms and an exhaust cutout in the downpipe that ran high 11's on slicks at 15 or 16psi(I think he was running around 12 or so on the street). Also, you should be thinking about the transaxle when adding that kit. I know a lot of the guys with it are needing to upgrade them not long after installing the turbocharger(most of them are probably logging some track runs on drag radials/slicks though.....but even if you run the car purely on street tires, it still probably won't hold up for a real long time).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there are different variations/upgrade versions of that kit so I'm not positive on which the 04 GTP I mentioned is running....it's likely using the larger turbocharger option though.

Yeah all the members on that forum with the turbo kit are running at least low 13s, one guy has a Regal GS and it's mostly stock, and he's pulling mid 12s IIRC.

That would be a great way to have a nice quick car- buy a gen II w/ 3800 and bolt on $3000 turbo kit (suppose to be able to install easily in 1 day) and you'd have something faster and probably cheaper than a GTP.

That kit would be perfect to put the "SS" into the Montes that only have the L36!

only if uv been driving it hard, or had a large load, thats when u have to wait to shut it off, its when u start it up, u have to always let it idle for 30 seconds when cold

is there any info on a supercharged gen II vs gen II w/turbo?

not a direct comparison...

But A LOT of GTP guys are dumping their SCers and spending money for the turbos instead. Sign up at any clubgp type forum you'll see.

is there any info on a supercharged gen II vs gen II w/turbo?

not a direct comparison...

But A LOT of GTP guys are dumping their SCers and spending money for the turbos instead. Sign up at any clubgp type forum you'll see.

Very true, as much as the L67 guys love them, the M90 is not very efficient but it gets the job done.

Read my thread in Race Stories about a turbo regal.

us L36 guys go the turbo route when the cash is handy and beefing up that tranny is essential with all that added torque. The supercharged kit from ZZP is an cheaper alternative costed a little over $1K, but only gives out 5-6 lbs of boost(like a stock L67). My main concern is that my GP is my daily driver and I don't need a car that won't shift out gear :x