Why my car=teh suck Long read but I need some advice

5speedz34

I went to 2 stores nearby, Pep Boys and Advance Auto. Pep Boys didn't have them, and Advanced was all out.

As the lines leave the LIM, you get the quick connects, then they enter into the plastic shrouding, that cheapass shit thats on all of our wiring. If you pull this away, the lines go from metal to hard plastic lined by rubber. I assume this is for flexibility of the lines.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• Aaron

• Supreme Cutlass

• gp90se

No place in Colorado Springs had them.

that's pretty hard to believe. you can find FI hose clamps in the HELP! section of any auto parts store. regardless, i still wouldn't have thrown worm gear clamps on there. what happened to Tony's car is a perfect example of why you don't use worm gear clamps on high pressure fuel line. hopefully Tony can get the new lines to work, because i definately wouldn't be driving the car around the way you had it rigged up.

Believe me it hasn't been driven since.

I would've put the lines on today but I was pulling a rear exhaust manifold out of a TSTE.

God, Its like everything on the car is rigged.

You realize they make quick disconnect couplings so you can use standard fuel injection hose right?

Aparently very few people here have worked on modified engines - sometimes stock parts don't fit.

I know what Aaron's talkin' about when it comes to finding parts in CO - the stores out there don't get stocked to well, when I was livin' in Thronton, I was near the Checker and the Napa warehouses where I almost always had to go for stupid stuff ... like the fuel line clamps - now that'd about a LONG ass drive for Aaron to go to get those clamps.

I personally would've done the same thing - the chances of the gas under the hood starting the car on fire are pretty slim, you actually need a spark to start the gasoline on fire - I know this from expirence, my old carburetor went to hell on my 'stang and dumped gasoline all over the turbine housing of my turbocharger - now that's a fairly hot part of the exhaust, and the car still didn't catch on fire - but my neighbor replaced the injectors on his car and broke one o-ring, and one of his old shorted out plug wires lit the thing up on.

I still like that car Aaron put together - it's a sharp car with lots of cool mods, and sometimes shit happens, so what a fuel line started leaking, fix the problem and get on with life.

and for all those who are wanting to bash on Aaron, before you do, you should perhaps build an engine exactly like he did, design your own headers, and do all this given the limited availability of parts in the location he lives. and then when something happens, explain your reasoning behind using the cheap clamps AND taking responsability for the problem (which he did)

Aaron is a good guy, and many of us could learn a HELL of a lot from him - so rather then pissin' him off, why not listen, and learn.

--Dave.

Thanks Dave.

That is exactly how I reasoned. Tony wasn't there that cheap pastic covering over the part of the fuel line I spliced? There should have been. That covering that GM puts over the fuel lines, electrical wires, and other things, I bought some and put it over those couplings, for 2 reasons. One in case they started leaking, and 2, so it looks cleaner.

JoroCorona, most everything on the car is rigged. That is what needs to be done on modified engines. Cruise control brackets, coolant hoses, vacuum lines, plug wires, wiring harness, etc. I had to modify all of these so that they worked with the bigger mods on the car, mainly the headers and intake manifold.

For the record- I was never bashing Aaron, and to this point I really don't care too.

What does the split wire loom have to do with anything?

For the record- I was never bashing Aaron, and to this point I really don't care too.

What does the split wire loom have to do with anything?

In my first paragraph? I was explaining that I put that pastic covering over the fuel line splice I made.

Tony I know you weren't, you have seen first hand that I do good work (I hope you have at least), and I have stood by the car and my work since you picked it up, and I hope you appreciate this, as I could have easily not answered phone calls, emails, or tryed to help (ie sending out the cogs).

I know what Aaron's talkin' about when it comes to finding parts in CO - the stores out there don't get stocked to well, when I was livin' in Thronton, I was near the Checker and the Napa warehouses where I almost always had to go for stupid stuff ... like the fuel line clamps - now that'd about a LONG ass drive for Aaron to go to get those clamps.

I would have ordered online the proper parts if necessary, but that's just me.

I personally would've done the same thing - the chances of the gas under the hood starting the car on fire are pretty slim, you actually need a spark to start the gasoline on fire - I know this from expirence, my old carburetor went to hell on my 'stang and dumped gasoline all over the turbine housing of my turbocharger - now that's a fairly hot part of the exhaust, and the car still didn't catch on fire - but my neighbor replaced the injectors on his car and broke one o-ring, and one of his old shorted out plug wires lit the thing up on.

No, you DO NOT need a spark to start gasoline on fire. Fuel vapor can autoignite at around 495°F. An exhaust manifold can easily approach this temperature! Whether or not the fuel vapor will autoignite has many other variables, but I'd say the biggest factor is LUCK! Not to mention there are many sources of stray sparks as you've mentioned. Weak insulation on a plug wire, carbon tracks on the coil... there are endless sources of ignition!

A good friend rebuilt a carb in an old Dodge Aries, and had a small fuel leak. He had just gotten back from driving the car and parked it. The car was SITTING in his backyard for several minutes, and then it spontaneously ignited and the entire engine compartment burned and melted.

Safety should always be top priority, otherwise the law of natural selection may eventually catch up to you.

Aparently very few people here have worked on modified engines - sometimes stock parts don't fit.

Ive built/modifyed plenty of vehicles, rigging up a fuel system with worm clamps is NOT an acceptable, because it leaks, period.

- now that'd about a LONG ass drive for Aaron to go to get those clamps.

mail order from summit/jegs, autozone can order parts next day from the warehouse, small part stores, parts can be found, just might take a day or 2 longer.

the chances of the gas under the hood starting the car on fire are pretty slim, you actually need a spark to start the gasoline on fire - I know this from expirence, my old carburetor went to hell on my 'stang and dumped gasoline all over the turbine housing of my turbocharger - now that's a fairly hot part of the exhaust, and the car still didn't catch on fire

My grand prix has a leak from 1 of the injectors, went from the lower intake to the rear manifold and ignited, no spark, no flame, just heat from the rear exhaust manifold.

I don't care if you drive around on top of a fuel cell while smoking a blunt, have rubber hose for brake lines or rig anything else up. But when you sell a vehicle that's unsafe, and worm clamps are just that, unsafe for a high pressure fuel line, either fix it or tell the person your selling it to, don't let them discover it when they find puddles of fuel under their hood.

Guest TurboSedan

Tony I know you weren't, you have seen first hand that I do good work (I hope you have at least), and I have stood by the car and my work since you picked it up, and I hope you appreciate this, as I could have easily not answered phone calls, emails, or tryed to help (ie sending out the cogs).

:lol:

you're kidding right? we've all seen pics of this car since Tony bought it. you yourself never really posted pics of the car and we all know why now. it's obvious you completely lack common sense and have no regard for safety. i'm surprised the front wheels didn't fall off the car while Tony drove it back to Michigan, and i'm REALLY surprised the car didn't burn down to the ground when the fuel line came off! i can't wait to see what else comes up, but hopefully no one gets hurt!

What do you want to see pics of?

Go to my WWW page, there are almost 100 pics there. Every pic you've seen besides the ones in this thread I took. And even the pic in this thread was mine, and I am hosting it.

and for all those who are wanting to bash on Aaron, before you do, you should perhaps build an engine exactly like he did, design your own headers, and do all this given the limited availability of parts in the location he lives. and then when something happens, explain your reasoning behind using the cheap clamps AND taking responsability for the problem (which he did)

Aaron is a good guy, and many of us could learn a HELL of a lot from him - so rather then pissin' him off, why not listen, and learn.

--Dave.

AMEN

He did somthing no1 else did (or would) do. We all joke around but lighten up people!

Unfortunatly, he sold the car without letting the buyer know about these defects in his worksmanship. If he still owned the car, whatever, if he dies in his own death trap let him. Now someone else is driving the car. Someone elses life is in danger from the car. The wheel bearing blew my mind when I first saw that. And then the cut in the sub-frame for the headers, yeah, thats intelligent. Now the worm clamps on the fuel lines?! I mean seriously, he knew it wouldn't be tight enough because he was afraid of it crushing the plastic lines. What the hell was going through his head?

And you guys keep saying that you need spark to start a fire. Not true. Does a compression based engine use a spark to ignite the fuel? No. Fuel ignites spontaneously at aproximately 500 degrees. Headers can easily get this hot, especially with how rich the car is running supposidly.

This whole thing is foolish and ignorant.

Shut up with the AMEN's already. You want it so bad then go to church.

preach it, brother brian :lol:

:bash: AAAAHHH!!

I'm still watching, I just find it quite comical. After all, I might learn something.

And you guys keep saying that you need spark to start a fire. Not true. Does a compression based engine use a spark to ignite the fuel? No. Fuel ignites spontaneously at aproximately 500 degrees. Headers can easily get this hot, especially with how rich the car is running supposidly.

I already said that! Nobody listens to me. :cry:

You don't need a spark directly, but you do need an initiator for a chemical chain reaction, which most times is a flame or spark, but high enough heat can cause it.

I do go to church! :naughty: :twisted: :bash: :flip: :guns:

I do go to church! :naughty: :twisted: :bash: :flip: :guns:

I'm not trying to get off topic (yeah :lol: ) I promise

:werd:

I'm not PRO-Aaron or ANTI-Aaron, hell he knows way more about cars than I do. But I am PRO-Safety and ANTI-fire...

Amen to that. :flip:

Guest TurboSedan
I forgot what this was all about somewhere around page 2..... :|

it's about Tony's fuel leak. any updates on weather the new lines work or not Tony?

Aaron is a good guy, and many of us could learn a HELL of a lot from him - so rather then pissin' him off, why not listen, and learn

Well you may be right. We could all learn a lot from Aaron, especially when it comes to what NOT to do.

He may know how to weld and make a set of headers, I'll credit him for that, but for the most part, he is talk. Talk and BS. It's things like this that got him banned from 60 degree, though he'll tell you he was never banned, rather given notice that the admins have had enough of his crap. It's one thing to know how to do something and give advice on it, it's completely another to do something half-assed and incorrectly and stand by it to the bitter end. That's in line with the thinking of the Bush Administration.

To be able to admit you don't know everything or that you made a mistake is a character trait, one that is lacking in Aaron. In all of this I have not seen him once say he could have done something better or that he shouldn't have done something a certain way.

And since he hasn't posted yet, I'll just say that Tony DID make the factory lines work on the car. He did a nice job and he won't have to worry about fuel leaks anymore. Now if Aaron still wants to claim that after my setup and Tony's setup that it's still not possible for the lines to work, he is showing off his ignorance and incompetence in full view of everyone.

Considering the issue is now resolved, I'll end with this. It's up to all of you whether you want to listen to Aaron or not, but I would hope after this you would not automatically believe anything he said just because he said it. I would say that of anyone, even myself. Personally, I don't trust him, and I would take anything he said with a grain of salt. So he built a car that runs 14.7 in Colorado atmosphere. That doesn't mean he built it well.

Or does Tony needs to post all his receipts since he bought the car?