Why my car=teh suck Long read but I need some advice

5speedz34

DISCLAIMER: I know this is long but I need your guys help. And please, I don't want this to turn into a Aaron bashing or "you paid to much thread." If that does happen I want this thread locked.

In my quest to make my car awesome I ran into a problem on Monday.

I had to drive across campus (yes I am useless and taking summer classes.)

The speed limit on campus is 15 mph, I usually do 25 but none the less I was stuck behind some ground workers in a tractor; so needless to say I was forced to do 25.

Well as some of you know my car isn't tuned and happens to run like shit sometimes when its cold. Well Monday was no exception, I only had to drive all of what usually takes a minute but my car had to buck like a mofo.

It's especially bad at 1800 rpms, which is right @ 15mph in 1st so I tried everything to keep the revs down so it wouldn't be so bad. Nothing helped. After I went to turn into my parking lot, I went to give the car gas and I got no power, and then it died on me. At this point I was nearly irate, and thinking the throttle cable snapped or something. I started the fucker back up and parked it. As I'm walking away I see a path of what appears to be oil and I see this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Jul12_001.jpg

Immediatly I think ohh fuck thats oil. I walk over luckly its gas. I pop the hood and the hood insulator is soaked in gas. Gas sprayed across the engine bay and there was about 1/8" pool of gas in the LIM! I had to take a test and as soon as I got out (praying my car didn't catch on fire.) I went over to the fucker.

Bottom line somehow the fuel injection line slipped off enough to spray gas everywhere. I really suprised it didn't catch on fire because the collector for the front header is right there.

So I got a new hose clamp slid it back on and drove it home.

The car has been sitting ever since and I found out that Aaron cut the quick disconnects because they wouldn't line up or something with the 96+ fuel rail. So, I went to the yard to day to get the 2 1' flexible lines. Hopefully this should solve the problem for now:

Pics: The line that is closer to the red coupler is the one that slid off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Fuelline2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Fuelline1.jpg

New lines I bought at the yard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Newfueline1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Newfuelline2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Newfuelline3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Newfueline4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/5speedz34/Fuel%20lines/Newfuelline5.jpg

As you can see one of the ends on both of the lines is rusted. Chunks of rust are actually coming off, but all the connector does it slip onto the 2 metal lines at the firewall and fuel rail. I think I should be fine just make sure not to get any rust into the lines themselves. Eventually I'll get new ones at the dealer.

I think they should be fine but I just want to make they won't completely rust out on me in a month or two.

FWIW: The motherfuckers at the yard wanted $25 for these but I was in a rush and I needed the lines.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• Aaron

• Supreme Cutlass

• gp90se

Wow......glad to hear she didn't go up in flames.
Yeah, no shit the gas sprayed all the way across the engine bay.

Well I just got back from the dealer the guy that helped me was a total dick head. He insisted that he needed my VIN and I didn't have it. So, he gave me a part number and I didn't trust him so I called another dealer and cross-referenced it. The ones he gave me are for the rear and the ones I need are discountinued even though other people have told me they aren't.

What did you snag the lines off? A 96 W?
No, I snagged the lines off a 92 Z34 5speed. I've been told the lines are 5-speed specific.

Why would I need the lines off a 96? Would it be better or what?

Guest TurboSedan

AHHHH!!! i can't believe he used worm gear clamps! just an FYI - if you have any more worm gear clamps on any high pressure fuel lines anywhere else on the car replace them ASAP with good quality fuel injection hose clamps. they are a little more expensive but the only way to go. make sure the rubber fuel lines are high pressure fuel injection type as well and NOT regular fuel line.

AHHHH!!! i can't believe he used worm gear clamps! just an FYI - if you have any more worm gear clamps on any high pressure fuel lines anywhere else on the car replace them ASAP with good quality fuel injection hose clamps. they are a little more expensive but the only way to go. make sure the rubber fuel lines are high pressure fuel injection type as well and NOT regular fuel line.

Did you read the whole post? I'm replacing that whole line with one I got from the yard.

Guest TurboSedan

Did you read the whole post? I'm replacing that whole line with one I got from the yard.

yes i did.

Well, I'm going to be putting those lines from the yard on in the next day or two.

I was basically asking how long you think those lines will hold.

Guest TurboSedan

i think those will be fine. i was under the impression he cut off the quick-disconnect part of the hard line? do you have to replace that part to in order to use the lines you just bought?

He cut the quick disconnect fitting on the line I got at the junkyard today, which is the flexible line on my car. He cut it off and then connected it with that fuel injection hose.

If your car would have caught fire (or more so if Aaron still owned it) everyone would have a riot considering all the "L67-catching fire-bashing". :roll:

Anyways hope you get'r running perfect soon!

Why would I need the lines off a 96? Would it be better or what?

I'm not sure if the 96 lines are different than the older ones. (because of the different intake) That's why I asked.

So what is the purpose of getting new fuel lines Tony? When I said they wouldn't line up, I wasn't lying. If mine had lined up, no shit I woulda plugged them in.

If you want it done right, this is the only way. Prepare to spend nearly $100, and take about a week. Cut the stock lines where they go to metal (Not rubber covered plastic), so that their ending is metal, this should be below the car somewhere. Buy your own metal straight pipe (3/8" feed, 5/16" return), and bend/shape it up to the 96 rail. Then have the lines welded in below the car, and have the quick connects welded on the end.

If you want to get it done so it works, do it the way I did it (With better hose clamps, no one in CO Springs had em), and use gasket sealer, or JB weld the silicone reinforced rubber pressure line I used to the factory lines on each side (This makes it non-removable).

And if someone could tell me how the fuck it'd catch fire, I'd like to hear it considering they are above the trannsmission, which doesn't get very hot, and has very few points where it could gain all 4 elements to a fire. It isn't like we are leaking fuel onto an insolated supercharger.

45psi spraying out all over the engine bay - tell me how it could NOT catch fire!

you're lucky tony seems like a nice guy, i'd be on my way back with guns and crazy people who like to kill. you could have easily killed yourself or him in a car fire with that cheezy half-assed setup.

i cant wait to see your fiero :lol:

I'm glad you can see my car is half assed after never seeing it.

It sprayed right down to the ground, over the tranny, not anywhere it could catch fire. I am majoring in Fire Protection, if I thought it was unsafe, it wouldn't have been done. I fire needs 4 things to ignite and propagate, we are missing 2, both critical elements.

Again, tell me a better way with the resources and time I had. Tony has no room to not be a nice guy after all I have done and will continue to do. Read his post, this isn't bashing me or how I mod MY cars, this is about a problem he encountered with a modified car, and how to fix it.

gasoline, spraying around a hot engine bay. safe. lol.

read closer mr fire prevention. the hood insulation was soaked with gasoline, gas spraying down doesnt soak hood insulation.

gasoline + hot headers, engine components = FIRE. what the hell is so hard to understand? you deserve to flunk the fuck out of whatever school you are in if you're majoring in fire prevention.

i dont need to see the car in person to know that one worm gear clamp on high pressure fuel lines is half-assed.

Geez, lighten up, dude.

He's pretty much right, flammable materials need something to IGNITE them, it takes a whole lot to heat them up to the point of cumbustion, even more than a header. The risk I see would be that you have all those electrical components around the FUMES of gasoline.

"you deserve to flunk the fuck out of whatever school you are in if you're majoring in fire prevention."

Even if you disagree, there's no need for that kind of outburst

he has every right to call him an idiot....

http://community.webshots.com/album/92888094QqfMcx

small fuel leak from an injector, fuel was shooting under the plenum, lit the car up.

rigging up a fuel system like that is a danger, plain and simple. If you dont have the right parts to do a swap like that, DONT DRIVE IT TILL YOU DO.

fuel systems and brakes, the 2 systems that ya cant rig up, period :roll:

gasoline + hot headers, engine components = FIRE. what the hell is so hard to understand? you deserve to flunk the fuck out of whatever school you are in if you're majoring in fire prevention.

i dont need to see the car in person to know that one worm gear clamp on high pressure fuel lines is half-assed.

Whatever, its done, it happened, and it didn't hurt shit.

small fuel leak from an injector, fuel was shooting under the plenum, lit the car up.

That is in an intake galley, not nearly the same as a trannsmission.