Why my car=teh suck Long read but I need some advice

5speedz34

Neither of us said that that it wouldn't catch fire like nobody's business, we just said that fuel needs a spark or flame to set it off, even a non visible static spark can light up the fumes resulting in a fireball. Naturally ANYTHING could set it off, like a tiny gap between wires on a connector. Neither said it was safe; I would think that all of the previous posts + plus the fact that it's GASOLINE would leave that as common sense.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• Aaron

• Supreme Cutlass

• gp90se

Damnit, this is exactly what I didn't want this to turn into.

Aaron, like I said before the gas SPRAYED ACROSS THE ENGINE BAY. It hit the t-stat housing and sprayed everywhere, I am really suprised it didn't hit the collector. Believe me it ripped paint off the t-stat housing and the there was gas everywhere.

FWIW: OldSkoolGP has the lines hooked up in his car with no problems so we will see if I can get them to work.

We'll see tommorow when I go to put these lines on....

Good luck! I hope they work out for you!
Thanks!

Also Aaron, when you where talking about getting metal lines put in. You mean putting the quick disconnects on and getting metal line welded in in replacement of the rubber lines right?

How would that work? What happens if the motor moves? Say by to your lines right? And where would I find someone that is going to weld fuel lines? Those lines go from the intake arm to under the master cylinder so going from the bottom is not a option.

The only thing I could do is get a shop to make some longer line that is hydrualic.

Like I said OldSkool got his on and I think I can probably get these on.

I don't know about the communication between the buyer and seller, but I just find it amazing how Aaron is ignoring the fact that Aaron isn't even taking responsibility for crap like that. (making up excuses of how he couldn't find the proper materials etc.) Instead he tries to cover it up with how gas soaked engine bay CAN'T be dangerous. Hell, I have a [real] video sent from my boss of a cellphone induced fire at a gas station, and that's only a LITTLE static electricity! :roll:

I agree with patgizz and whoever else would be pissed off too. I sure as hell would.

"Whatever, its done, it happened, and it didn't hurt shit." way to take responsibility Aaron!

I'm sorry if this will get locked cause of me.. but it's just f'n crazy.

Good luck! I hope they work out for you!
Thanks!

Also Aaron, when you where talking about getting metal lines put in. You mean putting the quick disconnects on and getting metal line welded in in replacement of the rubber lines right?

How would that work? What happens if the motor moves? Say by to your lines right? And where would I find someone that is going to weld fuel lines? Those lines go from the intake arm to under the master cylinder so going from the bottom is not a option.

The only thing I could do is get a shop to make some longer line that is hydrualic.

Like I said OldSkool got his on and I think I can probably get these on.

To C-bad.. I take responsibility for doing it, but what should I do? What could I have done?

The fuel lines WILL NOT WORK (As I have told you at least 4 times already). The reason is that they rotate around dual pivot points near the FPR. I have them rotated at a slightly different angle than stock, in order to clear your throttle body as it is in a non-stock place, and much larger.

Yes, you would replace the factory plastic/rubber covered lines by a metal line, and my section of silicone line. So where the factory metal line turns into a plastic line then goes up, into the fuel rail, you'd convert this to all metal. It would not flex, but the engine wouldn't flex enough to make this a problem, and you won't find anyone stupid enough to weld it on. My point was basically that there is no other way.

I'm sticking behind they are going to fit. Like I said we will find out tommorow.

But like I said before, if I need new lines. I will go to a shop that makes hydraulic hose and have them make them line longer with new quick connects.

The fuel lines WILL NOT WORK (As I have told you at least 4 times already)

Hmmm...

96 Intake Setup with 96 fuel rail

aaronisdumb1.jpg

92 Factory fuel lines

aaronisdumb2.jpg

aaronisdumb3.jpg

aaronisdumb4.jpg

Apparently it's easier to cobble together your solution than it is to think it out for yourself, or ask someone else's opinion it. At least Tony had the good sense to ask somebody who has first hand knowledge of the matter. Your old car is lucky to have someone like Tony who isn't afraid to ask people who know what they're doing for advice.

Aaron is saying since it has a larger T/B, the stock lines wont work. Without seeing a few more pics, I cant say yes/no, but I think the stockers would with a little creativity.

Maybe, but that's still no excuse for making a half assed fuel line. Some things have to be done a certain way just for safety's sake. I'd be interested to see a picture of Tony's intake just to see how hard it would be to make the stock lines work. My guess is not too hard.

id be shocked, honestly shocked of stock lines dont plug in and run damn near in the stock location.

im just glad Tony didnt have the same kinda engine fire I had.

and wtf is that between the header and the upper rad hose?

Well, I don't know what he did with those metal lines coming off the FPR, but he clearly didn't have to do it. There seems to be plenty of room under the TB for the hoses, so long as you're using the factory fuel rail pipes to connect to them. That is not stock what you have there.

id be shocked, honestly shocked of stock lines dont plug in and run damn near in the stock location.

im just glad Tony didnt have the same kinda engine fire I had.

and wtf is that between the header and the upper rad hose?

It's a exhaust manifold donut to keep the rad. house from rubbing on the header.

Its ghetto but it works for now.

I won't debate whether or not there was a better way to route the fuel lines.

But... worm gear clamps? C'mon, you can get Fuel Injection Clamps everywhere. Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reillys, any auto parts store should have them. These should work fine if for some reason Aaron is right about there being no other solution.

They look like this:

FI_38.jpg

I use them on tranny lines and stuff too.

Tony, I'm glad nothing real bad happened. The situation could have been a LOT worse.

I won't debate whether or not there was a better way to route the fuel lines.

But... worm gear clamps? C'mon, you can get Fuel Injection Clamps everywhere. Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reillys, any auto parts store should have them. These should work fine if for some reason Aaron is right about there being no other solution.

They look like this:

FI_38.jpg

I use them on tranny lines and stuff too.

Tony, I'm glad nothing real bad happened. The situation could have been a LOT worse.

I agree, and if I could have found those, I would have. No place in Colorado Springs had them. I called everywhere. Plus, putting those on the plastic side of the lines would not have worked, they would have crushed the line.

Guest TurboSedan

No place in Colorado Springs had them.

that's pretty hard to believe. you can find FI hose clamps in the HELP! section of any auto parts store. regardless, i still wouldn't have thrown worm gear clamps on there. what happened to Tony's car is a perfect example of why you don't use worm gear clamps on high pressure fuel line. hopefully Tony can get the new lines to work, because i definately wouldn't be driving the car around the way you had it rigged up.

I agree, and if I could have found those, I would have. No place in Colorado Springs had them. I called everywhere. Plus, putting those on the plastic side of the lines would not have worked, they would have crushed the line.

Every place has them. You can't trust some auto parts store guys. I remember calling O'Reillys and asking about PAG oil for my compressor. They told me smallest they had was 12oz cans, but I wanted a 2oz can. I didn't believe 'em so I went down there, and what do I see right by the entrance, but a whole shelf of 2oz cans.

I don't know about the plastic part of the line you're talking about though, but I'll take your word for it.