OilStreak1c.jpg

OilStreak2c.jpg

OilStreak3c.jpg

IMG_7311%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7312%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7315%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7316%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7317%20(Medium).jpg

the block didn't cause ALL that exterior damage.. I used a crowbar to pull the coolant pipe and starter solenoid back a bit so I could see in the hole better. But half of the solenoid did get pretty fuck up from block shrapnel. Almost fucking burnt the car down too, because of the live wire on the starter... briefly burnt off some fluids on one of the turbo's oil lines before going out. It wasn't looking too good though. needless to say next thing I did was tear my way to the battery to get the fucking cable off.

One thing I forgot was pics of the pieces I fished out of the pan with one of those extendable magnets.. I'll try for tomorrow with those pics. Few large chunks of block, a completely intact piston pin, few sections of piston rings and other stuff came out..

edit: new pics

IMG_7686%20(Medium).jpg

first sight

IMG_7687%20(Medium).jpg

head looked dirty, but undamaged

IMG_7688%20(Medium).jpg

top of the pinston literally just came off

IMG_7690%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7694%20(Medium).jpg

ingenious umbrella idea on 93* day

IMG_7699%20(Medium).jpg

piece of bent rod I was able to pull out of the pan with my hand

IMG_7700%20(Medium).jpg

I decided I was going to try to get whatever was left of the piston out if I could. I didn't want to have to wait until I pulled the pan. Broke out a screwdriver and hammer and gave the piston a little whack while it was in the block and froze instantly. Instead of a nice metallic clank, it gave off a VERY thin, hollow sounding *whoomp*. I finally managed to get it out because the crack finally gave in.. here's why it made that sound:

IMG_7701%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7702%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7703%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7705%20(Medium).jpg

What was left of the rod on the crankshaft. Took a nice bite out of the corner of the crank there too..

IMG_7706%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7710%20(Medium).jpg

very dirty.. but definetly rebuildable head.

i can help you get a new TGP engine. I know a guy in virginia that has 2 TGP's that he is going to part out as he doesnt have the time to rebuild them. One has a good motor, and a bad turbo. The other has a bad motor, and a good turbo. Both have body and interior issues. But considering both motors are in better shape then whats left of yours :?

Quite frankly guys I'm ready to call it quits on this particular car. If the rest of the car was in better shape I'd say fuck it and just get a new motor, but I hardly even began redoing the rest of the car. I don't think it's worth the effort anymore.

The way it looks, I'll probably part it, sell the Cutlass, earn some cash, and buy a GOOD condition TGP. I'd really really hate to part this car, but quite frankly I can't afford to try and sell it whole, because I probably couldn't come close to part earnings. Weird how things work out like that.

Trust me though. I think this car's seen it's final day. It's had a long, hard life. A minimum of 5-6 owners, salvage titled @ ~74k miles, rebuilt, another accident @ ~138k miles, suicide @ 140k, it's been a recovered theft, had a really shitty repaint, etc. I just wish I could've seen it in it's prime.

Holy crap! :shock:

That sucks. I feel for ya. I had the same thing happen to my '75 Firebird. Gives you that gut-wrenching feeling.

Take a little time and figure out what you want to do with it. Don't be too quick and do something you might regret later.

On the other hand, let us know if you decide to part it out... the vulture in me is already making a wish list :wink:

wow dude, that really sucks - I've put a few rods through a few blocks in my time, but never in anything I actually cared about.

--Dave.

thats shitty, i know where you can get a low milage block as well, let me know. But if not hit me up on pm, like i said in the first thread i'm interested in some parts. later Jay

That sucks man. You could always drop a couple bucks on a running NA 3.1 and put it in the car just so it's drivable. Then put the turbo stuff on when you get the Cutlass sold.

wellll knowing me, i'm the stuborn type. and i say you should fix it up, get another LG5 and swap it in, good time to do your 5 speed swap while your at it.

then again, i'm also the nut thats restoreing a z34, that i wrinkled the roof of.

as promised... pics of the pieces...

IMG_7492%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_7497%20(Medium).jpg

top end tear down may start today.. I probably won't pull the pan for a while just because it's such a pain in the ass.

damn! it looks like you lost a piston before you lost the rod and sent it into the block (ie: the piston pin sitting there)

wow, just goes to show there can be little problems where you'd never expect to see 'em.

--Dave.

Think of a gunshot about 2 feet in front of you followed by some burbling noises, slow decceleration and a sudden trail of oil following you down the road, followed by some explitives that were yelled about as loud as the gunshot.

put the starter back in, little gumout in the intake and turn the key, ill betcha it still fires up lol. damn shame but that car didnt wanna be driven. First time gutlass came to get the car outta my yard, it wouldnt start. Took me damn near 3 hours to replace the injectors, clean the sensors and get it 2 light up so he could drive it home.

best of luck on whatever ya deciede

wow...that really sucks...I would find it hard to throw away all that hard work that you have done.

Here's my story: I have a 1970 Plymouth Duster...bought it in 2000 when i was 14 :shock: ...well I spent 2 years getting the thing safe for the road and making it a decent/fun car to drive, which included:

Reparing melted dash harness

Replace Steering Box

Rebuild Front Suspension

Rebuild Rear suspension

Rear Axle Swap with a Posi rear axle

Disk Brake Swap

Floorpan rust repair/changed most of interior to black from green

installed front bucket seats

Headers/Dual Exaust

All that I have gotten out of it was 1 good summer of driving (2500 miles)...then the engine decided it didn't like having oil pressure.

So...I replaced the tired original 318 (248k on it) with one i picked up at the junkyard out of an '89 Pickup...I took the engine all apart...performance cam, new valve springs, all new gaskets, perfectly clean, Edelbrock Intake, 600 holley, etc...

Finally get that in and fire it up...break in the cam...runs sweet...go fire it up the next morning after changing its oil...really REALLY fucking lound sound coming from the bellhousing area...turns out I finshed off the torque converter's drive lug, which in turn took out the front pump and trashed the trans. :x

So then I decide I am going to get a 4-speed because I said fuck it to crappy slush boxes...and well these things came with manual transmissions fairly often...so I pick up a nice 4-speed, bellhousing and shifter...I then cut the hole in the floor, welded the piece in, located a stock hurst shifter, put new carpet in again, converted it to a hydraulic clutch...fire it up last week and it only runs on 7 cylinders...which i think is just a spark problem...but then I had to come back to michigan...so it will be like 3 weeks before I can work on it again :cry:

Oh, did i mention the body still looks like ass? I love the car so in the end it is all worth it...especially since it should have burnt to the ground 5 years ago...i saved it from certain death...and that makes me feel good

Hang in there man!

I've got my mustang.. 3 engines, 6 or 7 transmissions, I lost count somewhere (still on the same orignial clutch I got with the car) at least 3 times doing the exhaust system, and I'm going on my 2nd rear end soon - I know what it's like to have a car die - my second engine went out without warning, the oil return from the turbocharger blew out on the highway (at HIGH speed) and smoked the motor, real quick.

anyhow, I say save the turbo-engine'd car, put in a good bottom end, build somethin' up, then do up the upper half, and put together a super fast car.

--Dave.