Tranny help (replacment parts)

Intlcutlass

So I pick up a TGP tranny from Nokicker :cheers: , and now I am looking to take it into a shop just for a quick inspection. Greg told me when he got it, that it was claimed that it had recently been rebuilt. (Greg if your reading this, I don't doubt you at all, this is a little insureance policy for me, I would hate to install an uninspected tranny behind a 250 hp engine.)

Anyway... couple questions, because I don't trust transmission places all the time either, not because of an intent to decept, but because with a TGP, there seems to ba a lack of knowledge to begin with. Nobody seems to know about the particulars of the car (too rare I guess :lol: ), so I have a couple questions....

What torque converter should be used? Name brand and part number please?

Stall speed info?

Is there anything that should be looked at specificly when the shop tears it down? (I'm know the shop knows what to look for, I mean TGP specific)...

The code on mine reads OLAH, and I think Jeff said this was the hardest shifting unit, I don't know if thats good or bad?)

I also saw some info on here about the TransGo Shift Kit "JR" 4T60 / 440-T4 85-93... Is this something that could be installed on the bench? I read that it can ONLY be installed during a rebuild, but I didn't know if they meant that because the tranny had to be out of the car for install????

PS , I have used the search button....

The code on the tq converter should read FD*B or FJ*B. (firt letter app..IE FWD or RWD..second letter STALL SPEED, * is a number..Pre 96 tq converter are usualy red fiber but 0 indicates omitted,5 indicates popet valves. 96 and up use carbon clutch and 98 up use woven graphite)IF the TGP did come with a 2000 rpm stall then it would have the second digit letter D or J... which is 2095rpm stall or 2060 stall. Heres a list I got from 60degreev6.

A 2795 (prob quad app)

B 2560

C 2385

D 2095 (found on Lumina APV 3t40, TDC equiped cars *i found on Z34s)

E 1865

G 1630

H 1515 (prob diesel STE)

J 2060

K 2760

L 1895

M 1525

Y 1420 (prob diesel STE)

Z 2375 (found on a 2.2 Cavi 3t40)

The trans shop might be trown off by the TURBO inscribed valve body..they might find a few suprises there...unless whom ever rebuilt it changed parts. Have them imspect the OD clutches, and input Sprag. Have them inpect the second clutch pack and sunshell.

As far as tranny coolers...I found out...the oil cain't be too cool...so get the biggest you can get and bypass the radiator lines so you just have the cooler itself. If your in the snow like Canada does...then it might be wise to retain the radiator tranny "heater" and external cooler.